TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Child dies after train ride accident

Not sure to put this here or in Random, if it needs to be moved, no worries.

MARIETTA — An 8-year-old girl died and several other children were injured as a result of an accident Friday night at the Love County Fairgrounds.

Jaylen Wolf of Marietta died from chest injuries she suffered after a “homemade train for children” fell over onto the asphalt floor of a building, according to a report from by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper David Duggan said the investigation is not yet complete, but at this point it appears to have been a “freak accident.”

A four-wheeled, all-terrain vehicle was pulling “train cars,” which were modified 55-gallon barrels that were screwed onto metal frames with two wheels per car, according to the report from the Department of Public Safety.

“Once one tipped over, they pretty much all tipped over,” Duggan said Saturday.

Five children were transported by emergency crews and another two were taken by their families for treatment, Duggan said.

The injured children ranged in age from 3 to 8, according to the report.

Article

This is one of those things that's sad, but at the same time you have say to yourself, what idiot would make a children's train out of 55 gallon drums and then pulls it with a four wheeler?

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really a shame that people lose their lives, especially such a young child, because of some stupidity like that. The best thing we can do is learn from peoples mistakes and move on. I'm sure the parents will sue, and rightly so. That won't bring their daughter back though.

We have a lot of hayride/corn maze type things in our neck of the woods. These "train" things are in some of them. I guess you just kinda take for granted when you go that nothing is going to happen because you see the kids having fun. It's not like it is an amusement park where things are designed to run a certain way, this is just a homemade contraption that I am sure are pretty normal for this kind of event. Sad news though and prayers to the families involved........

• 2 weeks later...
TOPEKA, Kan. -- A controversial Kansas church is changing its protest plan after an incident in Oklahoma last week.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church said they want revenge after someone slashed the tires on their van during visit to protest a military funeral in McAlester. The group said it plans to now target funerals for Oklahoma children.

The group said it planned to picket the funeral of an 8-year-old Burneyville girl who died in an accident at the Love County Fairgrounds last week, although no protesters were seen near the services. The group said it would be in Owasso on Thursday to protest the funeral of a girl who died in a car crash.

The Westboro Baptist Church's website now reads "God Hates Oklahoma" and "The Lord curses them by killing Oklahoma's children and casting them into hell. Thank God for more dead children in Oklahoma."

That's so tragic.

I feel very sad for the family for losing their young child, but I also feel sorry for the person who was driving the train. Lord knows when he took on the job, he never would have expected something like this to happen...and now, he has to live with the burden of causing the death of an innocent child for the rest of his life.

Very sad.

Thanks, MayTheGForceBeWithYou, for the information. I will be sure to take off work Thursday and head to Owasso (15 miles away) to form the human chain around the church. That's more or less what happened in Mcalester, one van full of these Kansas military funeral protesters couldn't get within several blocks of the church due to a human barricade, the highway patrol even helped them do it. During that time, they flattened two right side (I believe) with a knife. They drove off on two flat tires, no tire shop in town would help them. AAA eventually agreed to tow them to a Walmart who fixed the two tires, therefore, Walmart is now on the no shop list for many people. These people are sick in the head.

**Edit: If you have the link, could you post it please? I would like to send it to a few reporter friends as I haven't seen that in the news. Thanks.

^ Many thanks! Looks like it's referring to a funeral last week, too bad I didn't hear about this in advance, I would've slashed all 5 tires, with much help I'm sure. Still going to send on to my reporter friends in hopes they will keep a close eye at future funerals of children (I know, that sounds cold to say at future childrens funerals, but it's reality)

^ Well, at least they didn't show up to a recent funeral/memorial service of a 10 day old child that was placed in a washing machine (I will spare the details) The mother was doped up. That would have been the lowest of lows.

This stuff gets under my skin just a tad, again, thanks for pointing it out.

TOPEKA, Kan. -- A controversial Kansas church is changing its protest plan after an incident in Oklahoma last week.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church said they want revenge after someone slashed the tires on their van during visit to protest a military funeral in McAlester. The group said it plans to now target funerals for Oklahoma children.

The group said it planned to picket the funeral of an 8-year-old Burneyville girl who died in an accident at the Love County Fairgrounds last week, although no protesters were seen near the services. The group said it would be in Owasso on Thursday to protest the funeral of a girl who died in a car crash.

The Westboro Baptist Church's website now reads "God Hates Oklahoma" and "The Lord curses them by killing Oklahoma's children and casting them into hell. Thank God for more dead children in Oklahoma."

I've heard of some screwed up things and people before, but this here takes that cake. Sick people.

We've tried to forget about them, but they keep doing stuff the requires them having their tires slashed. They've come in several times to my Okieland and protested military funerals, and thats where I draw the line. Then doing it a childs funeral who died while riding a kiddie train as retailation for having their tires slashed (which they deserved) is beyond comprehendable which then warrants spreading the word for people to be on the look out. just my opinion. We shoulda towed the car.

Only in America can we preach Constitutional rights and then bitch when people use them. I know it is not "right" or proper to do the things they are doing, but they do have a right. Honestly I can't see where anyone could think it was purposeful to protest the things they do, but that is just the world we live in. Not everything is peaches and cream....... I just deal with it.

BTW, as juvenile as it was to slash the tires, I find it hilarious......