TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

media days

i have a buddy who works at a newspaper and he is getting me into the Intimidator media day. today though, i went to do my season pass early and saw "associates" standing in line. i couldnt get ahold of my carowinds official friend dani so im turning to yall.

does the real first ride with people on it happen on media day or do secret rides happen before that???

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ No, of course not. They do hundreds of hours of testing, many of those with riders (usually park employees.)

Media days are the "first public riders" and sometimes parks even go as far to say that the "first public riders" are the ones that run to the ride first on opening day.

I would say that by the time the "first rider" gets to the new coaster on opening day it's probably been ridden by a few hundred people already.

Usually the first person to actually ride a new coaster is the ride manufacturer.

--Robb

To answer your questions, the construction crew has been riding the coaster for at least a month now, including your carowinds friend you mention by name...

EDIT:: unnecessary comments removed from the post. We're all about having fun on the boards (see my clearly tounge-in-check response below), but there is no need for rude/sarcastic responses towards other members.---Joey

Edited by Jew

^^Can those connections teach you how to use proper capitalization too?

Seriously though, please take a minute to read over the TERMS OF SERVICE and understand that it is very important to use proper grammar on the forum. We want to keep the site as fun and easy to read as possible!

Hey, I am now at my computer (not my phone) and am now using proper capitalization.

Okay?

Chill with the attitude towards the moderators. If you can't follow the Terms of Service while posting from your phone, then kindly don't post from your phone.

^Most members who are genuinely concerned about their post quality would say something like "Apologies. I was posting from my phone. I'll be sure to pay more attention next time!" Instead we got a post that comes off as "I was posting from my phone. what's the big deal?"

There's also "soft" openings before media day where the park may open the ride for about an hour or so on a regular operating day and you can ride before the official opening day if you're lucky enough to be in the park at the time!

Seen this happen with Greezed Lightnin' at SFKK! Media day was Thursday and my English teacher got me and another one of my classmates in (Park closed to GP!) However I was at SFKK the previous Sunday and the ride was open from 5pm to closing (6pm) and I was sitting in the front of the first public cycle (in Kentucky)! Never seen the ride operated (in Kentucky) before this day (the train was always not in the station if even on the tracks)! However on Thursday, the ride was broken down when we arrived for a good chunk of time due to a blown fuse (as was stated by the news) but other than that, Media day wasn't that bad! Only the rides around Greezed Lightnin was open but one could ride Skycoaster for free!!!

Parks almost always soft open. Disney Parks, or at least Disneyland is nororious for it, as I went ti Disneyland the day before the reopening of Space Mountain a few years ago, and it turned out it was open, and we waited in the 2+ hour line. I always try to go to parks I have a pass to frequenly around a new ride opening as it is rather common for it to open, like next year in early 2011 I'll be hanging around DCA quite a but waiting for Ariel to open!

I rode Tidal Wave at SFMM during a soft opening the night before it officially opened. They ran it for the last hour the park was open and we were walking by just as a ride op walked out to the entrance and started telling the people walking by that the ride was open. That's the only time I've ever been able to do that.

I rode X at SFMM about two weeks before its media day, but that was a special preview that had been promised to season passholders. It was delayed because the ride wasn't ready.

Also, I got to ride Superman---The Escape about three months before its opening for the same reason.

And, as has been mentioned, park staff and employees, as well as the ride designers have usually ridden long before anyone else has. To me, the "first ride" is really just symbolic.

Eric

:?r **looks for the attitude** I just can't find it. Sorry...

Anyway you said you saw associates standing in line. Was that in line to ride the coaster?

Jarvis "where's the beef?" Morant

That one post with the capitalization was filled with smug-assed snarkism.

Well, anyhow, I think with everything come towards media day. Construction crews and ride designers have been riding it for awhile before anyone from the park or public rides it, that's always what I thought it was.

*EDIT*: Mods, sorry if I sound like an ass. Will not happen again.