Computer illiterate people that think they know things

Oreos

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had read an article probably about 3 years back about someone who had bought the new high end NVIDIA video card (I think the 6800) with the PCI-E interface. It cost about 600 bucks. Well he didn't have a PCI-E slot on his mobo, just the AGP and regular PCI. His "friend" told him that he had to cut the card (like with scissors) to make it fit in the slot. I don't think I need to say anymore.

I used to run the helpdesk for Citrix System internal. We had this policy whereby you were supposed to lock your workstation when you got up from your desk. Sarbanes and Data Security issues ya know... At any rate, one of the neat gags was against someone who would walk away from their cube and forget to lock their workstation:

#1: Take a screen shot of the person's desktop with all windows minimized using CTRL + PRTN SCRN

#2: Open Windows Paint

#3: Paste the screen shot into paint and save it as a JPG

#4: Highlight all the icons on the desktop

#5: Right Click and choose "Properties"

#6: Set "Hidden" as an Attribute and click OK. All Icons on the desktop should then disappear.

#7: Adjust the Start Bar at the bottom of the screen down to be completely minimized

#8: Right click on the desktop and choose properties

#9: Remember that JPG we saved in Step 3? Set it to be the wallpaper.

#10: Lock the workstation

This got really freakin incredible one day when one of my more challenged folks called me over and said he had rebooted his machine several times, but after every single login attempt, the machine would freeze at the desktop. I told him to reinstall the OS.

I love my job sometimes...

We used to do that in school before they had a decent network and it was just a series of individual workstations, fun times.

Another good one that was in no way subtle was to just open explorer and navigate to the central file server, select all and open everything at once. The only thing you could do was pull the plug

Dave

We used to do that in school before they had a decent network and it was just a series of individual workstations, fun times.

Another good one that was in no way subtle was to just open explorer and navigate to the central file server, select all and open everything at once. The only thing you could do was pull the plug

Dave

This is just delicious!!! TOTALLY wish I'd thought of it.

David