TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

I'm planning on going to Dorney tomorrow. Since it may be raining, does anyone know the rain policy for the rides/coasters there?

It's hit or miss. Sometimes they run everything, sometimes they close every single ride in the park except the Seadragon for absolutely no god damn reason. Maybe they think because it looks like a boat it can run in the rain. Last time we went in a light drizzle that was literally the only thing open, including the water rides.

I'm planning on going to Dorney tomorrow. Since it may be raining, does anyone know the rain policy for the rides/coasters there?

Demon Drop, Wild Mouse, and Ferris Wheel shut down immediately when it starts drizzling. Heavy rain will shut all of the coasters down, and certain flat rides. The Whip and Musik Express are the only 2 rides I can think of that almost never close. 20 minutes of no rain = testing and re-opening of rides.

It's hit or miss. Sometimes they run everything, sometimes they close every single ride in the park except the Seadragon for absolutely no god damn reason. Maybe they think because it looks like a boat it can run in the rain. Last time we went in a light drizzle that was literally the only thing open, including the water rides.

Alright, thanks for the heads up. As long as I get to ride Talon, I'll be a happy man. Only other B&M Invert I've ridden is the Great Bear at Hershey, which was rather underwhelming. Can't wait to (possibly) ride Talon.

Alright, thanks for the heads up. As long as I get to ride Talon, I'll be a happy man. Only other B&M Invert I've ridden is the Great Bear at Hershey, which was rather underwhelming. Can't wait to (possibly) ride Talon.

It now seems like the rain shouldn't be too bad. It looks like there's probably going to be some moments of light rain in the morning and start of the afternoon. So it looks like we'll get a chance to do most of the important rides at some point throughout the day tomorrow.

Rain wise, it depends on the storm that is approaching. Like stated above, usually light rain/impending rain will close the ferris wheel. When there is a thunderstorm/heavy rain nearby, all major coaster and other rides close expect the whip and musik express. When there is a thunderstorm, Apollo, monster and all of planet snoopy close.

When there are lightning strikes, coaster stay close for every 15 minutes after the last strike (like in sports).

And regarding like line, once the switchbacks were open, it went through about 1 of them I believe.

Demon Drop, Wild Mouse, and Ferris Wheel shut down immediately when it starts drizzling. Heavy rain will shut all of the coasters down, and certain flat rides. The Whip and Musik Express are the only 2 rides I can think of that almost never close. 20 minutes of no rain = testing and re-opening of rides.

Don't forget Tilt-a-whirl and Thunder Creek Mountain. Those only close if there's literally a hurricane over the park with lightning striking inside the park.

Current wait for Steel Force.

I was in the park for about an hour with SkyToro yesterday, we managed to get on Steel Force right when it came back up. I think we had a two or three train wait for the 2nd row. By the time we got off, the queue was already at an unreasonable point.

So I took my first trip to Dorney Park today, and it was really great! The weather was decent, only a slight drizzle for about 20 minutes. And I got to do everything I wanted to do and more, and some re-rides! The longest line I waited on was 10 minutes for Hydra, and the park wasn't very crowded. Everything else was a walk-on. The park is clean, and has some really nice scenery and old-school charm combined with a Cedar Fair coaster-park feel. It's a nice mix. The operations were extremely slow, but that didn't matter today. The workers were very friendly, though. Here is the ride list:

Steel Force x 2 - front, back rows - This was a really fun ride with lots of floater airtime and a great helix. It's simple and not too intense, but fun. It's my second-favorite ride in the park.

Possessed - back row - Not as good as Wicked Twister, and had a slight rattle, but it's still really good.

Stinger - row 6 - This was a huge surprise! It has great forces and was surprisingly smooth for a Vekoma. I would recommend it, actually.

Thunderhawk - front row - This is a really good-looking coaster with the new paint and the good location. There are a few really nice airtime moments. The transitions are obviously awkward and jerky, but there isn't much of a rattle. The trim at the end is what keeps it from being a really great coaster, and just a nice family coaster.

Demon Drop - This thing feels so sketchy, but it was so much fun!

Thunder Creek Mountain - This was a really good flume. It would be perfect in the summer.

Hydra - back row - There are some forceful parts, but it's really about the gracefulness and the hang-time. The first drop is awesome in the back, and the terrain interaction is what made the ride!

Meteor - These rides are always great.

TALON x 5 - 3 rides in the back, 2 in the front - This is the best ride in the park! It's strong and forceful, and the inversions have some whip to them. There are two moments of floater air in the back, and I love how the ride stays close to the ground with the trees. It's another great B&M invert.

Enterprise - It's an enterprise, so it's great.

Apollo - I haven't been on one of these before. It's no Downdraft, but it's a good family ride.

Whip - This is one of the better whips I've been on. Not as good as the one at Kennywood, but it's my second-favorite whip.

Dominator - This is a solid tower. It's more about the launch, the drop isn't very intense.

Dominator - The S&S towers that shoot you down are always far superior than the launched ones in my opinion. The airtime is fantastic!

Monster - This one ran a really long cycle, and it felt faster than the other ones I've done.

Revolution - The one here runs with a very short cycle. I actually got 1/4 of a cycle before the actual ride, since I think the ride operator didn't press the pedal, which keeps the ride going. The worker was young, and the older guy who was in charge of them had to bring him aside and give him a harsh talk.

So this was a great first visit, and I can't wait to come back!

• 2 weeks later...

Making my way to the park Saturday for my annual visit and I only have one question: is Stinger still up? I know it's usually down by this point, but I'm in the mood for some Vekoma torture and Stinger is my best shot for it.

Went to DP today. The park was good since there was no lines. I've noticed a couple things there today and this past weekend.

image.thumb.jpeg.ca04e632a20afaaf5373e9cb003f8a21.jpeg

They've been demolishing the Mansion House Hotel as seen in the photo. From what I heard, a bayou themed haunt attraction like Voodoo at KBF will probably go there.

image.thumb.jpeg.543056c28db806fcf443c3e4232aa6aa.jpeg

Picture I took of Hydra

image.thumb.jpeg.4cce975dafaaf3719aa7a627aad5dc82.jpeg

Talon got stuck as I went to WWK today.

Making my way to the park Saturday for my annual visit and I only have one question: is Stinger still up? I know it's usually down by this point, but I'm in the mood for some Vekoma torture and Stinger is my best shot for it.

I'm at the park right now and got a ride on it today. Just make sure to ride in car 4.

Just make sure to ride in car 4.

I was at Dorney today and spent most of the time in Wildwater Kingdom. There were a lot of school groups but lines in the water park and rides side were short (not that short lines on the ride side is much of a surprise).

More things than normal were closed in Wildwater Kingdom. The original wave pool and Wildwater River are usually closed during the week this time of year but Kids Cove, Speed Slides, the red slide at Patriot's Plunge and Constrictor were also closed. Constrictor did open at around 4:45 when another lifeguard was there for the left side of the pool. Thunder Canyon was also closed.

This is probably my favorite time of year to visit Wildwater Kingdom since weekdays when schools are in session are one of the few times almost everything in the water park is a walk on or 5 minute wait.

Making the annual trip with Genx24 on Saturday. Looking forward to it. Even with a stale coaster collection I still enjoy visiting once a year to get my rides in on Talon. The flume and Demon Drop are exceptional as well.

Stay tuned for a PTR Sunday.

Making the annual trip with Genx24 on Saturday. Looking forward to it. Even with a stale coaster collection I still enjoy visiting once a year to get my rides in on Talon. The flume and Demon Drop are exceptional as well.

Stay tuned for a Photo TR Sunday.

Make sure to come say hi to me! I work in the games by talon! I'll love to meet a fellow TPR member!

I went to Dorney Park today and it wasn't crowded (like always) and got a couple rides. I went on Dominator Red, Thunder Hawk, Revolution, Steel Force, Stinger, and Cedar Creek Flyers.

image.thumb.jpeg.d294f0f0b24a9b234f1f73923fd9e5ba.jpeg

Stinger was open today. Had a decent ride

image.thumb.jpeg.019a8c200f857a792b1d7d5c0aaedf30.jpeg

I really like Thunder Hawk now better than I did last year.

Went to DP today. The park was good since there was no lines. I've noticed a couple things there today and this past weekend.

are they really removing their best haunt?? dorney just keeps getting rid of everything good lol goodbye

are they really removing their best haunt?? dorney just keeps getting rid of everything good lol goodbye

Define best haunt?