TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Legalizing Marijuana

CGA_88

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Um, I am not fully sure of what you mean (in full) by your statement there.

Are you saying this experience is personal for you, like with yourself or with your own family/close friends or something like that?

Are you saying the "severe mental illness" is a result or "after effect" of smoking pot?

Sorry, I am just trying to fully understand what you are saying there.

Having never ever heard (after 50+ years) of a mental illness being contracted after smoking marijuana...well, I am curious.

Are you saying this experience is personal for you, like with yourself or with your own family/close friends or something like that?

Are you saying the "severe mental illness" is a result or "after effect" of smoking pot?

Having never ever heard (after 50+ years) of a mental illness being contracted after smoking marijuana...well, I am curious.

Well, my Dad was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, which they have put down to years of smoking pot. While he was in hospital, one of the nurses said that about 85% of the people in there had smoked pot once or twice a week, and it had caught up with them.

Also my own personal experiences with mental illness (not from pot) have pretty much confirmed that tampering with drugs that have the *possibility* of contributing to such things, are not worth the risk.

Well, my Dad was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, which they have put down to years of smoking pot. While he was in hospital, one of the nurses said that about 85% of the people in there had smoked pot once or twice a week, and it had caught up with them.

Also my own personal experiences with mental illness (not from pot) have pretty much confirmed that tampering with drugs that have the *possibility* of contributing to such things, are not worth the risk.

I know a guy who has smoked every single day (Really, it's a part of his daily routine) and he hasn't had any problems

I think this goes along with alcohol again (the comparison seems to be made a lot). Alcohol can affect people in a severely negative way, you just have to know what type of person you are, and a lot of it is based on genetics. I know for a fact that I have multiple family members that were at one time alcoholics so I don't plan on getting drunk anytime soon cause I have the risk of becoming an alcoholic as well. Same goes for pot. For some people, it may have a long term negative affect, for others it could do nothing. It all depends on the person and their genetics.

^Just because addiction/alcoholism runs in your family doesn't neccesarily mean that you are an alcoholic. Some say since it runs in your family, you have have a greater chance down the road of having problems with it but it doesn't make you one.

Granted, you shouldn't be drinking at the age of 17, in my opinion.

Eh, I know what some people are saying about a "Metal Illness"

I smoke every day.. multiple times a day on days off. I'm perfectly fine and can function normally in the real world.

Now, I don't use it before going to work because work has me moving around quite a bit. But after work, it's nice to be able to light up a joint to help relax the nerves. Much better than taking an Oxycontin!

Now, for the "Mental Illness", yes, some people after smoking marijuana don't respect it. They make complete asses of themselves out in public (School, work, I've even seen it around their family). Giggling and whatnot. You just have to learn how to not abuse it and use it in controlled situations first so you get comfortable with the effects.

I usually tend to stay home and listen to music, or, there have been occasions when we go to a theme park high... NOTHING better than riding SheiKra, H:RRR, or Manta while flying high (No pun intended).

Paranoia can be a side-effect or "Mental Illness" of smoking marijuana, but really, it's all in your head. When you've come to know the effect of smoking the herb, paranoia is virtually non-existent. My first encounter with someone smoking marijuana, they had a paranoia attack that their mother was on the way home. Did that deter me from smoking later in life? No, because I did my research and found out that it happens sometimes. Chance to take I guess.

^ I think you absolutely fail to understand what "mental illness" is.

Some say mental illness is worse than anything physical (like TB, pneumonia, or even cancer and AIDS) because which ever direction it goes in, it doesn't have an ending or a conclusion. It constantly tears apart families and relationships, and can cause further distress and pain.

My point was, that why even risk such illness by smoking pot when it is so destructive and ugly?? And you cannot deny that there is some risk, like with anything that alters the chemical balance in the body (drinking, prescription drugs, anything like that).

Anything that alters the chemical balance?

Hmm.. how about adrenaline? Doesn't that alter the chemical balances in your body?

So every time you ride a roller coaster, you risk getting a mental illness?

Hmm... let us ponder.

You're giving absolutely no sustainable argument to this topic besides repeating yourself.... your username title is sorta speaking for itself.

Anything that alters the chemical balance?

Hmm.. how about adrenaline? Doesn't that alter the chemical balances in your body?

So every time you ride a roller coaster, you risk getting a mental illness?

Hmm... let us ponder.

You're giving absolutely no sustainable argument to this topic besides repeating yourself.... your username title is sorta speaking for itself.

No, because release of adrenaline is a NORMAL bodily function which is does NORMALLY by itself when aroused by a number of a stimuli. When it is altered artificially, i.e. through use of drugs, this is when problems arise.

For instance; a CD player is much more likey to break when you manually pull and push on the CD tray, as opposed to using the correct button.

why even risk such illness by smoking pot when it is so destructive and ugly??

Sorry, but smoking pot is not destructive and 'ugly' whatever that means. In my (again) humble opinion, as a smoker for over 30+ some years. I do not feel either destructed or ugly by smoking it, lol. But still...

If you don't like the idea of smoking or drinking, fine. I get it. But this is all about the legalizing of a drug that has caused undue stress and casualties amongst thousands of people (and their families), incarcerated for no more than a joint on them? And sometimes longer time in prison than some murderers have, because the muderers got better lawyers to reduce their sentence. Go figure, huh?

And that's what the legalizing pot is mainly about, to me anyway. Keeping the prisons a bit more available for more uh, "serious criminals" than pot smokers?

(EDIT to P.S. - And of course, the MASSIVE AMOUNT$ of money the Gov't will get out of doing such a thing. And putting gang-run grow-ops out of business, etc.etc.)

When it is altered artificially

And since when did marijuana become artificial? From what I understand, it grows from the earth... naturally. Nobody made marijuana for it's use as a drug.

Ever take a Tylenol? Sorry, but you just altered your body in a truly artificial fashion.

Actually, a lot of Tylenol products where I work were recalled recently due to people getting sick from taking it. That's what happens when you have a chemistry lab creating synthetic drugs, you never know when something like that may happen.

You can't change the ingredients to a natural product such as Marijuana, sure you can add some, but the THC will always be there.

Nrthwnd, I agree with the money that the Gov't would make if they legalized Marijuana. If California does it, didn't that article say they'd get a few million dollars each year from the sales? Now, what if the country did it? That would be the true Stimulus package.

Now, I don't use it before going to work because work has me moving around quite a bit. But after work, it's nice to be able to light up a joint to help relax the nerves. Much better than taking an Oxycontin!

Just wondering, but what kind of work do you do that is so stressful that you've either got to smoke or take Oxycontin to control the stress?

I've only skimmed this thread, so I'll just state my opinion, and hopefully, I'm not repeating everyone else...

I DO NOT smoke pot, but I DO THINK it should be legal.

-it is no more harmful than alcohol, which is legal and kills WAY more people than pot.

-More people abuse prescription drugs, deadly. It's impossible to OD on pot.

-it has scientifically proven medicinal purpose.

-Nobody gets robbed or shot over a joint. If anything, they might beg for a bag of chips or pizza.

-If pot were served in bars instead of alcohol, you'd never see a bar fight. Instead, everyone would be making out in the dark corner in the back. "Hey, you looking at my girl? Wanna join me?" LOL

-There are better people to arrest, like murderers, perverts, and crooked politicians.

-Legal or not, people will always continue to smoke it. SAVE TAX DOLLARS spent in upholding marijuana laws and wasting valuable jail space.

Unlike tobaco and alcohol, the government cannot make money from pot, since you can produce your own, and at a VERY high quality. (Hence, it's STILL not legal!) If it's legalized, everyone will just make their own, no tax revenue. All you need is a 5 gallon bucket and a sun lamp.

To quote an article on the history a bit...

So how exactly did marijuana become illegal in the first place? During the 1930’s, somebody lied to Congress. For reasons unknown, these people, led by Harry Anslinger, told Congress that the American Medical Association agreed with the illegalization of marijuana, which, it turned out, was an outright lie. The American Medical Association didn’t even know about it until two days before the proceedings, which proved too late. Also, they told Congress that marijuana caused murder, insanity, and death, all of which have been proven untrue, and for which Anslinger himself later admitted he had no evidence. With all this in mind, why outlaw it in the first place? Why, the answer is racism, of course! During the 1930’s, marijuana was often associated with jazz music and the black community. In order to “protect” the white community, marijuana was outlawed. Before this, marijuana was referred to as “cannabis,” which is the actual plant name. It was given a Mexican name to make it sound more evil. The American people were misled in the 1930’s, and people are still paying for it today

Just wondering, but what kind of work do you do that is so stressful that you've either got to smoke or take Oxycontin to control the stress?

I was saying it's better for you than taking an Oxycontin. No addiction = better. Also, some days at work are stressful, not talking every day though. Should have made that more clear I guess.

^ Its more health class than TV. Health informed me it was very addictive and all that. I smoke about maybe once a month, never been addictive to me. I'm applying for a job soon so no more for me. Ive been playing sports 3 years and I quit this year due to evening college classes. I dont really want to do any other drugs cause I fear addiction, but weed is not addictive. Being high is fun, its as simple as that. It is also great for stress relief, in fact one of my friends with a 4.0 smokes a little every day pre finals at his house when his parents are not there. IT makes him less stressed, and its not like you really forget anything unless you get REALLY high.

The :derek: = Ghost

I am not a stereotypical stoner. And I would say about 75% of marijuana users are everyday people who live everyday lives just like me. I hate how people can stereotype smokers so easily just from what they see on TV.

So you think everyone who doesn't smoke thinks what they see on tv is a perfect profile of every user? Good thing you're not into stereotyping.

I am not a stereotypical stoner. And I would say about 75% of marijuana users are everyday people who live everyday lives just like me. I hate how people can stereotype smokers so easily just from what they see on TV.

So you think everyone who doesn't smoke thinks what they see on tv is a perfect profile of every user? Good thing you're not into stereotyping.

He actually just said "people"

^And that is why I'm not for making Marijuana legal.

You probably don't have a lot of fun in life, do you?

The past few pages have just been little slap fights. I really don't think this thread is going to re-enter enlightening debate territory any time soon.

I think we can all agree this is a hot-button issue, but for now I will lock this. If there's any newsworthy things that happen regarding the topic, I will unlock it.