TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Incident at Radja River. Walibi Belgium

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who would enjoy still being stapped in when all that water rushed onto the evacuated raft while being scared to death thinking that the raft would sink and the others would go on top?

I don't know, that would be scary...and those people shouldn't be getting off the raft while in motion...If my mom were to go on that, she wouldn't move.

Did the pumps drop out or did they just got stuck? I am confused as to where the boats are in perspective of the coarse. Are they loading, unloading or in the middle of the coarse?

It is at the bottom of the lift so it's probably at the end of the course. Near the end of the video you see the rafts start to go up the lift then it stops.

^^But when you hit the e stop on raft rides (at leas the one I am most familiar with at Elitches) the pumps drop out and all the water on top of the course comes down to the bottom. Yes there is a big spill tank where the water goes, but it also utilizes the canyon for water as well. I would imagine that at the condition of this video, the pumps were no longer pumping water and the ride was already in e stop mode.

^ That's possible. I'm not too familiar with that either and I agree with some others that the ride-op handled it very well.

But still, I know that the water of the ride is going in to the little lake near the ride when the ride is not working. The water is pumped out of the lake each morning when they start operating the ride. That's btw also the reason why the water looks very dirty. But I'm not sure from which point the water is going into the lake and vice versa.

Anyway, my point is that if somebody at that point of the ride where the incident took place, falls into the water, what is the procedure in that case. I always thought they would hit a button and the water is evacuated from the ride within very little time.

^ That's possible. I'm not too familiar with that either and I agree with some others that the ride-op handled it very well.

But still, I know that the water of the ride is going in to the little lake near the ride when the ride is not working. The water is pumped out of the lake each morning when they start operating the ride. That's btw also the reason why the water looks very dirty. But I'm not sure from which point the water is going into the lake and vice versa.

Anyway, my point is that if somebody at that point of the ride where the incident took place, falls into the water, what is the procedure in that case. I always thought they would hit a button and the water is evacuated from the ride within very little time.

IMO really nothing but try to pull them out of the water. If in that area they go under a raft in the current, their done and if the river is drained the raft crushes them. Unless they stop the current in time.

I wonder what the exact procedure is though.

Well I don't know the workings of Raft Rides but unlike most rides there is no real control to the rafts they are free floating objects on a current of water and if the flow is stoped if it still has momentum its gonna keep going till

A. It hits something

B. If it changes elevation

C. It goes long enough it runs out of momentum

I am thinking of a theory but can't remember which one.

I actually was in a raft quite a couple of years when something like this happened at Radja River. One boat was sinking as well, but not as fast as the one on the video.

And yes, the water IS dirty. Like all the water in Walibi Belgium!

About the procedure: From what I believe it takes about a minute to empty out the river (I think I read it somewhere when a kid drowned at some European rapid river), while an evacuation of ONE raft goes a lot quicker. Especially cause there's some kind of evacuation platform right before that final rotating lift where this boat sunk. It's very easy to get off, so I think they handled everything very well.

When there is someone in the water, stopping the pumps won't make the water disperse and settle at a moments notice, there is still all the water from the top draining down. The purpose of stopping the pumps is so that they don't get sucked into the grates outside of the pump house and drowned. At that point the person who have to be shepards hooked out or bouyed or something, but hitting the e stop is just so they don't get sucked into the pumps or to have to fight any additional water.