TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Holy crap... something relevant an interesting in the Darien Lake thread (A photo trip report)! I never thought this day would come.

I know, but I was thinking that we would never see something relevant ever again on this thread!

Not trying to be rude or anything, but I wouldn't be talking since you're usually the main poster of the irrelevant information.

Anyways, thanks for the trip report "SbSteveZ." Oh, and I must say I was pretty amused by this photo:

img_0730_6.jpg

"Do I look fabulous to you?"

I love the photo trip report. I think the park looks excellent and can easily see that they invested in the park the best they could with paint and signage and things that look new and fresh. In m mind, that makes the biggest difference to the general public, which are the people we need to come back year after year. Also, that is the first TR that has shown pictures of the boardwalk area. It loss great, especially at night. I hope all future expansions look that good.

On the Ros plaza area, it definitely needs something more, and i see that as one of the future areas for expansion moving forward going out towards rte 77. There is lots of space there to build and even going over towards the lodge. Next year i hope they develop the Cuba falls area, then the Ros plaza the year after

I doubt it. CNL runs a strict policy of if it isn't broke, don't fix it. And if it's broke, makeshift fix it. Herschend has done a nice job with upkeep. It's just a shame that CNL doesn't see the potential in the park or want to put the money in.

Besides that, we may be seeing more ride removals IMO. I'm thinking that Corn Popper and Ranger could be the next two candidates. Their hydraulic systems have been a nightmare for the maintenance crew. As long as they are replaced with equal or better attractions, it's fine with me

I loved last year when they played Space Oddity along with the fire. Looks like they replaced it with more junk songs. But I hate all new music, so to each their own I guess. I think that the song for America worn out its welcome as well. The park did put a lot of effort into upgrading the show though. Looks really nice. I haven't been able to see it yet this year.

It's hard seeing the place so empty, even though it was raining. I fear a bit for my home park. They will never increase attendance without another flagship ride to complement one of the best coasters in existence, ROS. Just calling it how I see it.

I'm going on Saturday and will take some photos. The weather is expected to be much better so hopefully it will prove more representative of their average attendance. For comparison, though, I'm also going back on a weekday in August and will report on the crowds then.

Weekends really pack in the park. So do concerts and events. But there are quite a few slow days in between. And I have to agree with the poster two comments above. Look what we have.

1 Intamin beauty

2 Vekoma clones

1 decent but could be better woodie

1 Arrow

1 Family Zamperla

Dying collection of flats.

Small but decent water park.

If we can get at least a few new toys the park will be a lot better off

Weekends really pack in the park. So do concerts and events. But there are quite a few slow days in between. And I have to agree with the poster two comments above. Look what we have.

1 Intamin beauty

2 Vekoma clones

1 decent but could be better woodie

1 Arrow

1 Family Zamperla

Small but decent water park.

Like a 200 ft. tall Gerstlauer spinning coaster themed around Nik Wallenda?

I've been to the park when Splashtown is packed and the ride park is semi-empty with minimal waits to walk-ons for most rides but then again I've been to bigger parks where the effect is still the same.

I don't have any issues with the coaster lineup at DL as it is somewhat solid for the size of the park but at this point I think adding new flats should be the focus of the park. It seems inevitable quite a few of the old Huss rides may be saying goodbye in the near future and it doesn't look good when you are subtracting without adding anything to replace rides.

I'm somewhat surprised that a Zamperla Disk'O hasn't been added as they've been popping up in other parks however with Martin's and Seabreeze having one a Disk'O Coaster like CP's new Pipe Scream would be the only logical choice for Darien.

Why would Dl want to add a disko? Their two closest competitor parks have one,so how does that bring in crowds? i do think flats are a necessity in the very near future. if they do it right a good flat with a good coaster one year and the next a good flat with a new waterslide. if they add one good flat each year, in 5-10 years they may have one of the best flat ride collections around. i think i may have said this before, but i would take an expansion of three or four new flash instead of a good coaster for Dl at this point.

Why would Dl want to add a disko? Their two closest competitor parks have one,so how does that bring in crowds? i do think flats are a necessity in the very near future. if they do it right a good flat with a good coaster one year and the next a good flat with a new waterslide. if they add one good flat each year, in 5-10 years they may have one of the best flat ride collections around. i think i may have said this before, but i would take an expansion of three or four new flash instead of a good coaster for Dl at this point.

So then with that being said, what do you guys think would be the probability of the whole rumor about the Scrambler placement this year possibly foreshadowing future expansions in that area? The potential sidewinder idea, plus the predator re-vamp? Thats a "good" flat ride (Especially if its like the Huss Giant Frisbee because those are AMAZING in my opinion) and then a world class coaster in a matter of years! Plus that would really develop that area of the park nicely - seeing that it is pretty much a dead end home of the best coaster in the state (said in an EXTREMELY bias an opinionated manner) and some misplaced food stand...

The problem I see with Darien is that it's in the middle of nowhere and the area around the park is not developed. Yes there is the campground but that is not everyone's thing. In comparison I can go to Waldameer park and be minutes from a ton of restaurants and some of the best and cheapest shopping I have ever seen which makes for an enjoyable weekend and is more to do than just go to the park. They also have splash lagoon in Erie which means you can stay at a hotel and possibly visit 2 parks during one vacation. While Waldameer doesn't have a campground like Darien does and doesn't have as big of a park as Darien they have other things to do in the area while Darien simply has nothing. If the area was more developed with a large mall nearby and some restaurants I would be more apt to make a visit and more people would stay at the hotel and more people would be willing to take a weekend trip for the park and shopping thus increasing the park attendance.

Darien is the park that is over an hour away that I want to stay at for half the day then go home since there is nothing else in the area to do, it's not something I can make a 2 day trip out of.

Why would Dl want to add a disko? Their two closest competitor parks have one,so how does that bring in crowds?

First, it was just an observation plus the Disk'O Coaster is a bit different from the standard Mega Disk'O MFI and Seabreeze have. True, as a stand alone addition it would not bring in crowds but if it was part of a flat ride package I can't see how it wouldn't help bring in crowds.

How does DL advertise in the Buffalo/Rochester area? Do they focus more on the water park but also include mentioning the rides? Do they advertise packages for the campground and/or Lodge on the Lake? My only means is when I stop at the Angola rest area just west of Buffalo to fill up is when I see brochures for the park.

So then with that being said, what do you guys think would be the probability of the whole rumor about the Scrambler placement this year possibly foreshadowing future expansions in that area? The potential sidewinder idea, plus the predator re-vamp? Thats a "good" flat ride (Especially if its like the Huss Giant Frisbee because those are AMAZING in my opinion) and then a world class coaster in a matter of years! Plus that would really develop that area of the park nicely - seeing that it is pretty much a dead end home of the best coaster in the state (said in an EXTREMELY bias an opinionated manner) and some misplaced food stand...

Putting the Scrambler there is a good start to revitalizing that area. Maybe it's in the plans to help bring more traffic to that dead end. The only issue I see is that there isn't much room to add any good sized flats with RoS and Predator taking up both sides of the midway.

The problem I see with Darien is that it's in the middle of nowhere and the area around the park is not developed.

That is one of the things I like about the park and I hope will not change. Geauga Lake used to be like that until urban sprawl began to be developed around it, bringing NIMBY neighbors and a big box shopping area across the street, thus raising land values and issues those NIMBY neighbors would complain about.

To really develop that area around Darien Lake would mean the expensive task of widening Route 77 from the Thruway exit to the park. Can Corfu handle it as it would be a major inconvenience for them?

It always sort of baffles me that the area around the exit off the Thruway wasn't more developed than it is. It seems like an ideal place for a couple hotels (though IIRC there is one there) and a few fast food establishments other than the truck stop. It reminds me a bit of the Doswell exit for Kings Dominion though they have added a few hotels somewhat recently across from the park.

The area around Dl will never turn into what the area around geauga lake did. In wny, urban sprawl will most likely never reach that far out. That is one of the great thingsmabout the park as they have almost unlimited land and almost unlimited height restrictions The downfall is that the park is between two very small cities. if youmadd buffalomand Rochester together, i would bet you still don't get the population of cities such as Cleveland or even Pittsburgh.

Darien does not have unlimited land or height restrictions. Any taller ride put in needs to be okayed by the town first, and the park uses most of its land for the campground, lakes, parking lots, and concert area.

The big issue is that no, there isn't as big of a pool to pick from people wise. I'm surprised that the state itself hasn't pushed on the park more to build something bigger. Government officials from NY want people to visit the state in general, and if the park started to build itself back up, you can draw people from Toronto, Pennsylvania, and possibly NYC, and parts of Ohio or Michigan. But nobody is going to take a vacation to the park as it is (not including Canadians in the Fort Erie area or northern PA).

The area around Dl will never turn into what the area around geauga lake did. In wny, urban sprawl will most likely never reach that far out. That is one of the great thingsmabout the park as they have almost unlimited land and almost unlimited height restrictions The downfall is that the park is between two very small cities. if youmadd buffalomand Rochester together, i would bet you still don't get the population of cities such as Cleveland or even Pittsburgh.

Buffalo+Rochester is larger than Cleveland. But I will say it again, the GTA is enormous and is one of the best things going for the park. In the US and Canada it's the third largest metro having recently passed Chicago.

Amusement parks are a fairly regional draws, save for the Orlando parks, and a select few others; so the park just needs to be to focus on drawing from the region. And the campground, hotel, cabins, and trailers are huge for this. People love 2-5 mini vacations close to home, and the park clearly recognizes this, hence why the accommodations have been receiving steady upgrades every single year for the past 5 or so years.

This is more or less Herschend's strategy too, how many people in NY and NE have ever even heard of Dollywood or SDC. Probably very few, and not to mention those two parks are in very remote and low population areas.

Land wise, much of the land the park owns is on the other side of 77 actually. Ill have to get that map again to show this.

Height, a main airspace artery does run just west of the park, but its still fairly high in altitude at that point so its not much of an issue.

Lastly, the park doesn't need to get more urbanized around it, that's parts of the woodsy camping charm the park has. The area around CP for example just seems insanely trashy with 30$ motels lining the streets. If you want to be in an urban area, drive 15 minutes down rt33 and you're in Batavia.

My husband and i were planning on going to the waterpark this Saturday. We have a 2yo- so we will be hanging at the pirate ship and doing the big Kahuna once or twice (he's 39 inches)....wondering what kind of lines we can expect and how crowded the toddler/preschool area might be. It's supposed to be 80 with a chance of rain. Hoping it keeps young families away!

The last 2 times I went to the park in 2012 and 2013 on a weekend the kids area was pretty dead to the point of half the rides not running especially the ones that only seat small children which I am guessing your toddler would be the most interested in. I am guessing they have a couple ops for the less popular kiddie rides and rotate the ops from ride to ride. So be aware that if you go not all the kids rides might be open or they may open on a rotating basis even on the weekend. The family rides that can seat adults and kids will be more popular but I wouldn't expect huge waits for these rides.