TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Mini Trip Report!

Went to Great America for the first time on Monday. Was a ridiculously hot day out, (95 in Chicago!) but we had a ball! It was my second time to a Six Flags park, the first being a trip to Six Flags Worlds of Adventure/Geauga Lake when Six Flags operated it. I must say, Six Flags stepped their game up. The park was much nicer than I was expecting. I'm very used to Cedar Fair parks. (CP, KI, and CW were local to me when I lived in Detroit, I'm new to Chicago)

My Favorites:

- Raging Bull was awesome. Sort of reminded me of Behemoth, but was almost better with the low-to-the-ground turns. The tunnel at the bottom was great, thats exactly what CW should've done with Leviathan. We rode this around noon, so it was peak sun hours & was almost too hot to ride. I got off feeling a bit dizzy due to heat, but it was worth it. Excellent B&M Hypertwister!

- Batman:The Ride was also great. Given its simple (and duplicated everywhere) layout, it was actually quite exciting. One of the trains was running without the wheel covers though.

- V2 - I love the impulse coasters. Wicked Twister is still my favorite, but I enjoyed this one. Shame they don't utilize the rear tower brake anymore.

- I loved the Whizzer. Really fun throwback ride! Was nice riding in the woodsy area.

X-Flight:

Excellent ride! B&M has built a winner with this one. It looked much slower than it felt. When you're on it, it flys! The control tower and water jets were really great features. The wait time was about 45 minutes. I'm very intrigued to see what kind of layout Cedar Point has planned. And it made me want to check out Wild Eagle. Oh Dolly, I need a trip to your park...

Other Notes:

- The Dark Night ride was really bizarre contraption. I enjoyed it, sort of, but the wild mouses are so jerky of course. The added effects were cool though.

-The Drop Tower was scary. My friends rode it, but I waited. I refuse to ride the Intamin drop towers ever since the Hellivator had the incident. Also, whats with them keeping two cars stuck at the top for the day? Drop towers in general give me too much anxiety, i hate them.

- American Eagle was really rundown. They need to refurbish this ASAP. It looked like it came out of Silent Hill, and riding it was kind of scary because it looked like it was falling apart. They were only running one side of it. Is this normal?

- It was strange riding a lot of the coasters without the seat-belt catch for the restraint. These are standard at Cedar Fair parks, so it threw me off a bit.

- The flume ride was cute.

- The crowds were decent. I'm gay and didn't really have to worry about tolerance there. (Unlike parks in Ohio, ha) Very LGBT friendly crowd, and also saw many other LGBT people.

- There was an acapella boy band group singing one-direction covers. Excellent.

All in all, I'm glad I got a season pass. Great deal if you buy 4 or more, its only $69.99. Great park. Great times.. I'm excited to go back.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m so ready for these totally arbitrary and nonsensical covid rules to be over.  So a waterpark with no masks was fine all summer but they can’t run a coaster Or a Scrambler with a bunch of empt

I'm divided when it comes to COVID.  If a state is going to have restrictions, at least do it right. Illinois is allowing water parks because the chemicals in the water have been found to kill CO

Just like at Over Texas, I think that Great America may have leaked its plans for 2021! 🤯🤯🤯

Posted Images

But, last year the Whizzer was Biohazard during Fright Fest. It had a pretty sweet sign too, if I might add! If someone could post a picture of it, that would be great.

Reactor Core is the Hometown Fun Machine overlay.

CIMG2557.JPG.0bbeeab2500823283305e05ed55aaa22.JPG

^^I know that some have complained about Dark Knight, but I was pleasantly surprised by it, too. All the effects were working when I rode it in 2010, and I thought it was a pretty good "mouse in a box."

Not sure what the deal is with Batman's wheel covers. I can't say for certain, but it seems like it's been that way for years. I doubt the reason is much deeper than ease of access for maintenance, but it's curious that it's just one train. Luckily, it doesn't take away from the excellence of the ride.

At the TPR event at SFGAm two years ago, at the Q&A session, one of the maintenance guys mentioned that the wheel-covers are intentionally left off that train because it makes the ride smoother and faster.

Great report, Studiobrandon .. glad you had such a great day at the park!

Cameron.

- American Eagle was really rundown. They need to refurbish this ASAP. It looked like it came out of Silent Hill, and riding it was kind of scary because it looked like it was falling apart. They were only running one side of it. Is this normal?

I assume from hearing your experience that you missed out on the very front seat of American Eagle. I *really* wish you could go back and do that. From the top of the lift until the highway helix is one of the most exhilarating experiences in all of coasterdom. Unfortunately, the park often only operated one side if it's not too busy. Racing really adds to the ride. Red side has 2 more hills than blue. Other than the worn look of the peeling paint, the ride is running better than it has in years. But it's still very rough in other seats - especially the helices.

- It was strange riding a lot of the coasters without the seat-belt catch for the restraint. These are standard at Cedar Fair parks, so it threw me off a bit.

All that extra seat belt stuff is a Cedar Fair thing. Recent too. I couldn't believe Gemini had seat belts after so many years. For alternating years, either American Eagle or Viper did NOT have seat belts. Some years one did while the other didn't. A couple years, neither had seat belts. It was a cool attempt by Great America to try to increase capacity (while surely paying a higher insurance premium.) Now with *flash pass* doing such things could hurt their pay-to-cut profits....

- The crowds were decent. I'm gay and didn't really have to worry about tolerance there. (Unlike parks in Ohio, ha) Very LGBT friendly crowd, and also saw many other LGBT people.

That's good to hear. I "came out" when I worked at Cedar Point through 1991-93. There were tons of LGBT folks there, but at the same time, the park clientele always seemed very ... "young republican" heavy. (Nothing against republicans, the generalization is just from my personal experiences.)

Did you miss Viper!?? If so, you missed out on one of the best woodies in the chain. Very smooth and mondo airtime in the front; forceful curves, too.

^ I prefer viper in the back row. Great floater airtime throughout the whole course. It is one of the best running woodies I have ever been on and I am amazed that it has stayed this way.

^I like Viper a lot, too--the best of the Cyclone clones, I think. ERT on it back in 2010 was great (especially after a nice thunderstorm).

^I like Viper a lot, too--the best of the Cyclone clones, I think. ERT on it back in 2010 was great (especially after a nice thunderstorm).

Ugh. Was that 2 years ago already???

The Mardi Gras event this past weekend was pretty cool, and I hope it returns. The decorations were only ok, but I wasn't expecting too much seeing as it was only a two day event. The bands added a nice atmosphere and the special food that I had, Bourbon chicken with rice and potatoes, was actually really good and I wish was served all year. The parades weren't amazing, but people really got into them so they were still fun. The day ended with a 10 minute long firework display. So as a whole, the event was great and I hope to see it return and expand next year.

654089164_20120623_163007(Copy).thumb.jpg.72b97ce3127daa834516d9c8537b8748.jpg

1617107904_20120623_163052(Copy).thumb.jpg.1351ae67fd0d6320fea2098ce46bc431.jpg

1184726183_20120623_184315(Copy).thumb.jpg.9e49d653a9862e58678130e3e2655434.jpg

1854747873_20120623_184335(Copy).thumb.jpg.3c7af235d7eb8beee11aec21cebf71e4.jpg

164506876_20120623_184120(Copy).thumb.jpg.4c37f71603b28e099c67f781bcdeb80e.jpg

1252807884_20120623_184126(Copy).thumb.jpg.0cc0513b535ee319c08168607971fb19.jpg

1502438016_20120623_184139(Copy).thumb.jpg.158475c89458527d9a396d84822e92cb.jpg

1108903817_20120623_184152(Copy).thumb.jpg.492d61fd606b8ce81ed3ec14f348cb17.jpg

1522209361_20120623_214231(Copy).thumb.jpg.d6723be5521d4fbe7e03099668f6c7a5.jpg

205151872_20120623_215051(Copy).thumb.jpg.87bb87081d0b7b75fad03c2a66c93ff2.jpg

The Mardi Gras event this past weekend was pretty cool, and I hope it returns. The decorations were only ok, but I wasn't expecting too much seeing as it was only a two day event. The bands added a nice atmosphere and the special food that I had, Bourbon chicken with rice and potatoes, was actually really good and I wish was served all year. The parades weren't amazing, but people really got into them so they were still fun. The day ended with a 10 minute long firework display. So as a whole, the event was great and I hope to see it return and expand next year.

its awesome they are doing fireworks again

Lost my phone on Superman yesterday. Hopefully I will see it in the box next year.

The layup response would be to say that's what you get for riding Superman. Hopefully they manage to find it, though. A buddy of mine got his phone back after it fell off on Deja Vu, but it was in 2 pieces.

In the process of planning a trip for Sunday, July 8th with my fam, and was wondering if anyone in the know could suggest a plan of attack. There are four of us (all coaster lovers) and we hit parks hard. I was thinking about buying a Gold Flash Pass, as we want to re-ride everything as much as humanly possible. So, basically my questions are as follows:

Is the Gold Flash Pass worth the money, and is it necessary on a Sunday right after July 4th?

When should we hit rides that aren't included in the Flash Pass?

*If* I only got to ride each major coaster once, where is the best seat on each?

Raging Bull = Back Row

X Flight = Right Side, Front Row

Batman = Front Row

V2 = Front or Back row

Viper = Back row

Eagle = Red Side, Back Row

Superman = Never really matter to me, Pretzel loop is awesome anywhere.

Whizzer = Front

Demon = Back Row

Also ride Giant Drop, I prefer it on the side where you can see the majority of the park.

These are my personal preferences. Have fun!

I believe X Flight is only included with the platinum flash pass, and if you don't have a pass for it I would go either right at the start of the day or at the end. After about 9 the park really tends to clear out.

^I do think pretzels feel more intense the closer to the back you get. That could very well be a reason I love SFGAdv's S:UF (rode back row) but don't especially care for SFGAm's.

In 2010 the advice was to hit Ragin' Cajun ASAP, but I would imagine X-Flight has tweaked that (and is, of course, a much higher priority).

^^ Batman in the front?! I mean, it's Batman so it's good anywhere, but the most intense ride is definitely in the back.

Unless you are in the park as in standing next to the carousel when they start letting people in, don't go to X Flight first. I've found it's longest lines to be right when the park opens, with much shorter ones at night. My favorite way to end the day is a night ride on X Flight in the back row of the left side in the outside seat. Best seat on the ride IMO.

^^ Batman in the front?! I mean, it's Batman so it's good anywhere, but the most intense ride is definitely in the back.

Truth. Front is a nice change of pace every once in a while, but people have written songs and poetry about how good the last row is.

I finally made it out to the park for the first time this season. It was a hot day and pretty crowded- so exactly the kind of day I typically avoid visiting in. Managed to get a lap on V2, Batman, Raging Bull, and two on X Flight. The wait for X Flight looked like it would be long, but it was surprisingly fast- always nice to have another people eater in the park.

The reviews of Swarm and X-Raptor were less than encouraging- most of the positive comments were about how visually impressive Wing Coasters. That's nice, but what if the ride sucks? Does being visually impressive mask that or make it better? I didn't know what to expect before I rode. We rode in the back left and back right.

You can count me among those who are happy with the ride. The intensity mentioned in a lot of reviews was probably over-exaggerated, but the ride was just plain fun. I thought the immelman would be my favorite part of the ride going in, and while it was fun, it was the elongated barrel roll that delivered, especially towards the end of that element. The low turn leading into the brake run came as advertised in reviews- nice and forceful. It's an excellent addition to the park.

They really need to do something about that spiel playing in the station. It's awful and it made me want to tear my ears off.

Dropped by a couple of times during my USA adventures. The second visit mopping up credits that we didn't have time for the first time around. Here's what I thought of some of the coasters on offer:

X Flight - Fun. To simular to Stealth to be anything more than that.

Raging Bull - Good but not great. Doesn't hold a candle to Nitro (in my opinion).

Viper - Suprisingly awesome! Wasn't expecting the airtime it had the grace to provide me with!

Demon - Love me a classic Arrow Looper.

Batman The Ride - Not as intense as I remember SFGAM's being. Fun none the less.

American Eagle - had both sides running on our second visit. Thought that left hand side was the better of the two (had slightly more bite).

Superman Ultimate Flight - I enjoyed the pretzel loop.