TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coasters in the RAW 3 & Coaster Expedition Vol 12

Just got my Rollercoasters in the RAW 3 CD. Great job on the DVD's once again Robb. Thanks for the quick shipment too! This is the best internet purchase I've made while being drunk.

I must say the AstroWorld coasters bring back many fond memories of growing up in Houston. Thanks for including those. I know you did it just for me. *wink wink* LOL j/j

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like others, I got my C.E. 2, 12 and Raw 3 today. Great job, Robb. Awesome discs. I've only watched the second DVD of C.E. 12 so far, but it is a blast. My only complaint, one that I've noticed on all the DVDs I've gotten so far (and please don't take offense), is your tendency to use "Weeeeee!" so much when riding the coasters. It can get a bit annoying. Again, no offense meant, that's just my own P.O.V. on it. I know you get caught up in the moments as anyone would. Other than that, the footage is a joy to experience, making me really wish I was there. Of course, some of the coasters I saw made me cringe. I would be extremely hesitant to get on one that had to have the attendant push the cars up to the lift hill chain, let alone one that has tons of rust on it. There was one coaster that made me fear for the riders when it made this really nasty sounding grinding noise while doing a loop. My reaction was probably the same as those on the ride at the time - "WTF was that?!" Of the coasters shown, my favorite ones were "Kawasemi", "Eagle's Fortress", "T Express" and "Dive Coaster".

just a quick question. How long does it take to ship DVD's? I just ordered my DVD's on Monday night so I was just wondering when will they come in?

I'll do a shipment of DVDs this weekend. So if anyone wants to place an order today or tomorrow it will get shipped on Saturday!

--Robb

I have really enjoyed watching CE12 and Raw 3 so far. I've seen the first disc of CE 12, and think its probably the funniest coaster video I've ever seen. I've seen parts of both discs of Raw 3....definitely my favorite of the Raw series. Defunct coasters are the perfect subject for the "Raw" idea. I look forward to reading the little blurb before the footage, as they are always very interesting. Watching Raw 3 is both great and sad....I don't like when coasters close!!! Since I'm new to the enthusiast world, I haven't ridden any of those coasters, but look forward to maybe riding Blue Streak next year.

Great job to all the editors and camera people!

Like Wood Dragon, C.E. 12 was a blast to watch. Those parks have some weird stuff going on in them, as well as some fun looking coasters and attractions. Except for the one that shifted from the track in the loop and made that really nasty grinding sound. Talk about a ride for your life. Lol. The pissing fairy and crapping donkey are just demented though. Just finished watching C.E. 2 and found it awesome. Great music and fantastic editing, Robb. At this moment, it's my favorite of the C.E. discs I've collected so far. Love all the full POV footage on the second disc. That newer version of "Come On, Eileen" sung by a woman was odd though. Still great, but prefer the original. Same for any 80s song. Can't wait to see the next volume in the series now.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to watch RCitR3 last night. While I must admit that I really enjoy the whole music video style of Roller Coasters more, this video was excellent! Especially because I was afforded the opportunity to re-ride some of my old, gone, favorites. Not to mention all the coasters that I will never get the chance to ride. Incredible POVs make these discs a must have. If you have the means, I reccomend watching it on a 65" or larger screen from about 3 feet away on a full belly. It will seriously make you wanna throw up! Which IMHO adds to the whole coaster riding experience in my book!

Guy "Awesome vids! I can't wait to watch CE12!" Koepp

The RCITR DVD's are a perfect mix of amazing coaster footage with an occasional TPR antic thrown in or heard here or there. I have not one shred of a doubt that any purchases made from TPR are likely the best decisions one will have made in a long time. Keep on keepin' on, Alveys!

I personally thought the DVD was a great idea. I got to see some POV footage and offride footage of rides I was never able to reach in real life or were gone before I got to ride them.

To be honest, this was a good DVD and another class-A Alvey product! Keep it up! I'll be waiting anxiously for RAW 4 and the next Coaster Expedition DVD as well!

As soon as the next set of RAW and CE DVD's are annouced, I can assure you it'll have my pre-order!

Great work!

Hi TPR

**RollerCoasters In The Raw 4 will be shipping in the fall/autumn**

What's the intended theme, Robb? Too early to say?

Volume 4 will be back to the traditional Raw format. 15 wood, 15 steel coasters and a mix of new and old.

Too early to make a list as we'll be shooting footage all summer long!

Hopefull to have as many "new for 2009" coasters as I can get in there, but it depends on how much footage I can get from each park.

--Robb

Hello, I've really never posted on this site but I just wanted you guys to know that I absolutely love all of you DVD projects and since I've kept up with with all of the "Coasters In the Raw" footage I wouldn't miss a volume. So Robb, keep up the good work and keep us entertained. Eventually I will be able to afford some of those wonderful trips with you guys.

How often do you ship out orders? I believe I ordered some stuff on June 24th. I was wondering when I could expect to see this. I don't know if you are waiting till you are done with the Scandinavian trip though. Which is fine because I love those updates.

• 4 weeks later...

New segment from Roller Coasters in the RAW Volume 3 posted!

Hercules from Dorney Park!

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=hercules_iiqc[/coastertube]

If you haven't ordered your copy of Raw 3 yet, do it now! It's only $10!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/store/

--Robb

How bad was it compared to Psyclone for example?

It was about on par in it's final years. A couple of things to remember - that video was most likely shot in it's opening year, or very early in it's life so the ride was probably MUCH smoother than it was when they demolished it.

It's also a mounted camera POV so it's going to look smoother thanks to the nice camera work!

--Robb

Actually Robb, that POV is from after Cedar Fair toke over Dorney. Long time DP fans will notice that when Hercules opened, there were no trims on the top of the first drop. Also, the train would rocket much faster over those hills. The hills were even taller back in the days prior to CF ownership.

CF toke measures to make the ride less costly in maintenance areas. Thats why you see the trims on the first drop and the lower hills (GCI re-track work). That resulted in the ride being slower and more painful. Notice how the train just creeps along those hills.

Another way you can tell its a later POV is that, as the ride goes though the first turn, you can see Steel Force.

Actually Robb, that POV is from after Cedar Fair toke over Dorney. Long time DP fans will notice that when Hercules opened, there were no trims on the top of the first drop. Also, the train would rocket much faster over those hills. The hills were even taller back in the days prior to CF ownership.

Oh, geez. I'm wrong. Your right. So sorry I got my facts mixed up.

Because, you know, it's matters SOOOOO much when the video was shot.

--Robb "The video was shot sometime between 1997 and 2003 for those of you who really care..." Alvey

I was very fond of Hercules... but was more than likely that I rode it IN its opening year... never really got to ride it during its most painful years... every other time I went to Dorney the ride was shut down due to weather or other unforseen circumstances... thanks for the video... I enjoyed the virtual ride once again...

Hercules looks like one of those rides that doesn't really have much to it besides the first drop... It reminds me somewhat of Six Flags over Georgia's Great American Scream Machine (not in layout, but in the overall experience) with a nice initial drop but a seemingly tame remainder.

Based on my visit to Dorney last year, Hydra seems like a worthy replacement--not too intense but not too tame either. And the ride's unique layout (and accompanying elements) really impressed me more than I thought it would. The ride is certainly not better than Kraken or New England's Dark Knight, but it holds its own and looks like it is certainly better than its predecessor.