TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

http://www.meadvilletribune.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_335214520.html

Considering how cheap land is around there, I'm truly surprised no one is interested.

3.3 acres near a beautiful lake should be an easy sell.

For comparison, I looked at land values around Chippewa lake vs. Conneaut lake. No comparrison, the chippewa area is way more expensive

and looks fairly to majorly rundown.

The park is hoping to sell this land to cut its debt load.

I know that no one wants to hear this, but......

This park has been on "life support" for so many years now, and it would seem that, aside from a few, the place doesn't even get much patronage even from the locals.

Each year it's some different problem and they seem to barely make it to the next year.

Isn't it time to just pull the plug?

--Robb

Nope. If Conneaut can turn the corner (which they are making progress towards), I think that it can still be a successful park. The lake is a destination without the park and if some more development occurs, it could get that "getaway" feel that it used to have.

Only a series of some of the worst business decisions and management selections are responsible for the condition the park is currently in.

The biggest obstacle is going to be to remain relevant in an area where Waldameer is kicking your ass. While Conneaut has been on life support, Waldameer has been growing at an incredible clip.

I hope Conneaut can stay afloat and get back into the “Black” soon and not stay in the “Red”, we do not want another Classic Woodie to become SBNO and they run Nad's trains on it. That would be so sad to see it die.

Some “Classic” woodies are worth saving and not all wood coasters should be built by GCI or Gravity Group, Yes “Thunderhead” (never been on it apart from Robb’s POV) for example is an amazing coaster with a great layout.

The coaster industry also needs to have the old coasters running. e.g. Starliner and Screamin Eagle.

Do you think someone would buy the “Blue Streak” if the Park did shut down..?

I’ll be more than happy to give the Park $500 in 2008 towards running and restoring the “Blue Streak” and I'll be riding a piece of USA coaster history.

The locals can do some fund raising for the park and run some Dusk-till-Dawn ERS on the Blue Streak to help bring the money in.

Can’t the Park get some State Money or ask to have “Blue Streak” the same status as the Cyclone at Coney Island, so this coaster is saved from being demolished.

they run Nad's trains on it

Good god! You and those NADs. Anyways, they don't use them anymore.

I’ll be more than happy to give the Park $500 in 2008 towards running and restoring the “Blue Streak” and I'll be riding a piece of USA coaster history

Put your money where your mouth is

clpps.conneautlakeinstitute.org/bschallenge.htm

Aside from anything to do with the park itself, this no sale doesn't make sense to me. There are houses all around that lake and the ones with any kind of lake view go for big bucks regardless of condition. In recent years an upscale development started on the east side of the lake after some land opened up. Those are some huge houses on some valuable land. Another upscale development not even on the lake will replace a trailer park across the road from CLP. Even if the park was already gone the inability to sell the waterfront property makes no sense to me. Did they have a sale but not tell anyone?

Its been a while scince I gave a full up date so here we go.

Sadly the round up broke for the last couple weeks of the season.

Ferris wheel might be soon retierd.

They did try bonus weekends but they were not getting enough people so it was cancled on the third week.

Pumpkin Fest was still huge even if the weather was bad.

The witches Stew is broke once again. The ride op ran it at full speed with the break on and the break broke off. It will cost 2,500 for a new break and 900 to take it apart and look for more damge.

The hotel is hosting holiday in the park on weekends from now till december 17. It features trees,a gift shop, a bake sale, a sligh ride through the park, and visits by santa.

^They have recived proposal but none Leroy liked.

At a receent public meeting I went to on the park they said they own over 138 acers but alost 50% percaent of that has been developed. I don't see why they don't expanbd camperland.

They were also talking about putting in a nature trail.

Each year it's some different problem and they seem to barely make it to the next year.

Isn't it time to just pull the plug?

--Robb

Hmmm, I'm surprised that you would say that, Robb. I have to disagree with you, I don't think that just because they are going through hard times they should quit. If all parks took that principle, there'd hardly be any left. However, something really needs to be done to improve their situation, and adding an awsome darkride is part of it. I'm no expert at turning around amusement parks, but I really think that if they go on the offensive with some good deals and put some extra effort into making the place shine, they'll have a chance.

I only make the comment because I've been to the park about 5 times since 1996 and each time it's been in a state slightly worse than the year before.

not all wood coasters should be built by GCI or Gravity Group,

You're right! The rest of them should be built by Intamin!

Merg, I think even losing one wooden coaster of any size is a terrible loss, but that's me, I love the classics and I want some of these small, inde parks to live on rather than the big resort parks taking over everything.

Also, premeir (sp?) also makes wooden coasters... and I'm not sure, but it seemed like several others did as well, I don't have time to look it up just now.

Merg, I think even losing one wooden coaster of any size is a terrible loss, but that's me, I love the classics and I want some of these small, inde parks to live on rather than the big resort parks taking over everything.

I agree. But I want to see the *GOOD* indie parks live on. Knoebel's, Indiana Beach, Silverwood, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, Martin's Fantasy Island, Canobie Lake, Cliff's, Adventureland, Lake Winnie, etc, etc....

And I want to see the *GOOD* wooden coasters saved.

My last few visits I had to Conneaut I wouldn't consider it a good park....it was a dying park. Sad, yes....and I agree it COULD be turned into something great, but it was truly dying. And yeah, we've seen a pattern this year with a lot of parks close, but seriously, thinking back on it, how many GOOD parks are closing? Myrtle Beach Pavillion, maybe.....even Astroworld....but.....was that REALLY one of the better Six Flags parks?

To me it would seem like there have been reasons why some of these parks are shutting their doors. They just aren't places that people want to visit.

Don't get me wrong, it saddens me to see any park close, especially when you know a place has potential, but I honestly believe that if a park was worth visiting, or someone really wanted to invest in it's future, it wouldn't be closing. How often do you hear "wow, that was a really thriving, fun place....I can't believe it's gone!"

Williams Grove, Miracle Strip, Southport, Libertyland, Nara Dreamland.....Seems like we got rid of a lot of 'crap holes' in the past couple of years.

To be honest, I haven't felt much loss....

--Robb

Robb: You said: And I want to see the *GOOD* wooden coasters saved.

In your mind what do you consider to be a good woodie and built

Pre-1970's / 80's..?

Any woodies "born" in the 90's don't count. they are to new.

---------------------------------------------

If the "Blue Comet" was saved, re-tracked, give it lots of TLC to bring it back to near "new" condition, I'm sure the aging woodie can give a thrilling ride which equals today's modern Out n Back coasters.

When we went in 2005, the park felt like it was dying. I was positive there'd be no 2006 season.

Last summer, with the Bug up and running, it had a totally differant feel.

I do not understand why the parcels haven't sold.

chippewa property at 48k

http://www.coldwellbanker.com/servlet/PropertyListing?action=detail&ComColdwellbankerDataProperty_id=10400165&page=property

Conneaut Property at 25k

http://www.coldwellbanker.com/servlet/PropertyListing?action=detail&ComColdwellbankerDataProperty_id=9429200&page=property

I thought i'd throw those in for comparison. One park dead, the other struggling. values are higher by the one that's dead.