TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Matt goes to Morey's Piers Golden Nugget Event

I have not made a final decision on going to the Golden Nugget going away event at Morey's Piers. This will all depend on the weather. As of right now I am 99.9% sure I'm going. So will I be the only TPR member there if I go? If I do go I will change this thread the TR.

My name is Matt. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up going to the event today & took lots of pics & a video. The event was really good as well as really cold. We got to walk inside the ride & take pictures. There was even speakers including the Moreys brothers themselves! Enjoy.

I have never seen the Wildwood Beach so cold & lifeless.

Some pics of the rides during the dreaded off-season.

A look at the Great Nor' Easters pier.

I wonder why a camera crew is here?

Oh yeah the Golden Nugget send off event

Golden Nugget seen from the boardwalk.

It is finally noon & the gates are open

There was a bigger crowd than anticipated today. Most of them were ACErs.

A camera guy filming the event.

The welcome sign.

The star of the show today!

The only part of the coaster track you can see.

The wall.

This looks like it is falling apart. I hope Knoebels can fix it up.

It was colder in here than outside.

A shot of the train.

Some figures from the 1960s!

This guy would be creepy even today

Real spiders freak me out. Not fake ones.

Another shot of the track.

The old station.

Does this still count as a credit

Old controls?

The speakers.

One last look at the Golden Nugget in Wildwood

This is what is replacing the Nugget

It looks like a lot of fun!

Well time to head home. It was worth freezing my a$$ off to come to this event. I am looking forward to riding it at Knoebels in a few years & the new woodie coming to Wildwood. I have less than two months until I go to BGE opening day

I'm not an ACEr yet so with this public invite I definitely took it up. It was my first enthusiast event. I was really glad that a larger than anticipated crowd showed up. I still was able to get a bowl of chowder. To shore up the rest they needed they got Philly soft pretzels. That always works. In my gift bag I got a piece of coaster lift chain. It was colder inside the building than outside indeed. To see the pictures on the wall of the ride, to touch the walls, and see the bit of coaster track and car that still was around was really cool. I had no idea til today that the old pier had a junior wooden coaster clone of Sea Dragon/Scooby Doo coaster called Flyer until Kamikaze came around. I liked the coaster shop tour and checking out the wooden coaster model later. I thank the Morey's for a great farewell event. Very much appreciated.

Let me just say that this has been a great report! I think your video gave us an idea of what the event was like, and for those of us that were interested (and you know my interest in Morey's Piers), this delivered a inside look at a historical occasion.

I don't know if you'd be able to do so, but for those of us that didn't get to be there, would you be willing to upload some more video of the event? I'm sure I'm not the only person that would be interested in seeing you walk the attraction (for whatever portion you were able to)... After all, I did get to see you on the walk-thru for Flying Turns, and you (and your video) were living it up! I think any additional footage of some of the guest speakers and the event would be greatly appreciated.

Either way, I thank you for posting this insightful report on an event that I personally would have loved to have been there for. Keep up the great work Matt!

I was there also, but I forgot my camera ! Stupid girl that I am. I am still going to a write a trip report though. It was a really nice little ceremony. My post will be up in about an hour. No photos, sorry, but a nice little report of what happened today.

I'm not an ACEr yet so with this public invite I definitely took it up. It was my first enthusiast event. I was really glad that a larger than anticipated crowd showed up. I still was able to get a bowl of chowder. To shore up the rest they needed they got Philly soft pretzels. That always works. In my gift bag I got a piece of coaster lift chain. It was colder inside the building than outside indeed. To see the pictures on the wall of the ride, to touch the walls, and see the bit of coaster track and car that still was around was really cool. I had no idea til today that the old pier had a junior wooden coaster clone of Sea Dragon/Scooby Doo coaster called Flyer until Kamikaze came around. I liked the coaster shop tour and checking out the wooden coaster model later. I thank the Morey's for a great farewell event. Very much appreciated.

You got a gift bag! Lucky! They ran out by the time I got to the entrance but I got the wooden coin I tried to ignore the presence of ACErs but being an "X" ACEr I was able to survive the day

So what was the souvenir they gave you guys?

The people who went first got a gift bag, a souvenir hard hat, & some wooden thing. I just got a wooden coin because they ran out

AWW thats too bad I was expecting squeaky rubber donkeys! JUST KIDDING!

Still really cool to go to Enthusiast events...Me being from a nearlly "Coasterless" place...we don't have much big things like that and I'm not an ACE member either...

I saw some people walking around with post spindles that use to be on the outside of the loading platform. They also gave away little plastic mining hats with the date on it. I also received a part of the lift chain in my gift bag. The Morey's organization didn't have to do what they did yesterday, but it was nice that they did it. They had some guest speakers there who talked about their relationship with the ride such as the granddaughter whose late grandfather was the original owner of Hunt's Pier and a gentleman whose late father worked on the construction of the ride. Some people have alot of attachment to that ride. I know I did. I grew up on that pier and on that ride so it is like losing a piece of my childhood. Just to be able to walk inside of the building yesterday and still see part of the lift hill and some of the props that used to be in the ride brought alot of great memories back. There is also some footage of the ride on you tube. That pier was like my Disneyland in my own backyard. That pier had some great one of a kind rides on it. It is hard to lose things that are connected to your childhood, but that is life and life goes on. Come the summer when I am on the boardwalk it is going to be strange not see the building gracing the WildWood skyline.

^^Yeah, I'm glad that they are finally doing something with that pier.I hate the go-karts that they have on that pier. The new coaster on that pier will definitely be better than what it looks like now. Maybe they will add some flat rides too. It can really be a nice pier again if they go ahead the plans they have for it. We'll just have to wait and see.