TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's Wood & Steel Coaster Poll 2008

I do both, because I can't figure out how to format a .txt file!!

I keep the ballot in microsoft word and then update it as I ride coasters throughout the year. Then I have to use the Coasterfanatics helper because no matter what program I use, I can't format the ballot right and then Mitch emails me back saying it doesn't work. Stupid Mac's!

I'm pretty sure it isn't the Mac that's stupid...

(I've sent the txt file from my Mac for the last 4 years with no problems)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and for those of you using Word to do your files, after you delete the coasters you haven't ridden, the easiest way to change all the "n"s into "y"s for the first column is to do a "find and replace" function and have it change every instance of

,n,n,

to

,y,n,

Then you just click once and all that's left is to indicate the ones you rode this year.

^Great tip! Thanks.

Just finished my wood ballot but I'm going to sit on it a day or two. Bottom 5 for now:

Rattler Fiesta Texas

Anaconda Walygator Parc

The Bandit Movie Park

The Grizzly Great America

Son of Beast Kings Island

A ride worse that Grizzly @ CGA? Is that possible?

Sure it is.

When I rode it, Grizzly was slow, practically lethargic... and boring.

Son of Beast was neither of those, but it was so violently rough that I had a headache for the next three days, which completely ruined a chunk of my vacation.

So Grizzly, while yawn-inducing, only gave me a bad experience on IT. I soon forgot about it and enjoyed the rest of my day.

SOB, while not yawn-inducing, gave me a bad experience on it, and on every other coaster I rode for the next three days, not being able to even enjoy them due to my aching brain, sore neck, and lack of sleep (also caused by the headache).

So YEAH... when a coaster sucks so badly that it keeps you from enjoying all the coasters within a three-day drive of it, that MUST be maximum suckage.

• 2 weeks later...

I just e-mailed my 2008 Steel Coaster Poll results. Here are my top and bottom ten, if anyone's interested:

Top Ten

Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park

Goliath, Walibi World

Phantom's Revenge, Kennywood Park

Nemesis, Alton Towers

Griffon, Busch Gardens Europe

SheiKra, Busch Gardens Africa

Winjas, Phantasialand

Euro-Mir, Europa-Park

Nitro, Six Flags Great Adventure

Dueling Dragons-Fire, Islands of Adventure

Bottom Ten

Fav Loop-Screw, Any Park Anywhere

Fav Vekoma Boomerang, Any Park Anywhere

Fav Chance Toboggan, Any Park Anywhere

Fav Vek Susp Loop SLC, Any Park Anywhere

MegaBlitz, Coney Beach

Goudurix, Parc Asterix

G Force, Drayton Manor

Eejanaika, Fujikyu HighLands

Great American Scream Machine, Six Flags Great Adventure

Space Mountain, Disneyland Paris

Finally finished my polls, hopefully next year there won't so many name changes of parks and rides!

Top 10 Wood:

El Toro - SFGAd

Phoenix - Knoebels

Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce

Balder - Liseberg

Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer

Ozark Wildcat - Celebration City

Raven - Holiday World

Viper - SFGAm

The Voyage - Holiday World

Colossos - Heide Park

Top 10 Steel:

Maverick - Cedar Point

Nemesis - Alton Towers

Kumba - BGA

Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park

Goliath - SFOG

Phantom's Revenge - Kennywood

Montu - BGA

Superman - SFNE

Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland

Goliath - Walibi World

The steel poll was a bit harder for me to do this year. I mostly used the grouping method again, but I did come up with a top 10:

1) Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park

2) El Toro (Favorite Wood) - Six Flags Great Adventure

3) Maverick - Cedar Point

4) Winjas - Phantasialand

5) Nitro - Six Flags Great Adventure

6) Goliath - Six Flags Over Georgia

7) Dueling Dragons-Fire - Islands of Adventure

8) Dueling Dragons-Ice - Islands of Adventure

9) XCelerator - Knott's Berry Farm

10) Mindbender - Six Flags Over Georgia

It seems like I keep getting a bunch of new credits, but they must all be steel, because my wood poll is still pathetic.

Phoenix

El Toro

Balder

Boulder Dash

Ravine Flyer II

Silver Comet

Jack Rabbit

Twister

Wild Mouse

Lightning Racer

Nemesis

Maverick

Montu

Dueling Dragons - Fire

Dueling Dragons - Ice

Behemoth

Nitro

Batman: The Ride

Speed

Dragon's Fury

I e-mailed both of mine a few days ago. I like doing this poll. I've done it for a few years now, so I just have to update my previous year's poll.

I'd have a lot easier time with the polls if I did it that way. But I've decided to completely redo them from scratch without looking at last year's poll. That way I have to justify everything again in my head based on what my current opinions are.

I used the groups that Robb suggested, then ranked them within each group, which was easier than dealing with the whole ballot at once. The top and bottom 20s were fairly clear, but it got a little trickier in the middle.

I e-mailed both of mine a few days ago. I like doing this poll. I've done it for a few years now, so I just have to update my previous year's poll.

I'd have a lot easier time with the polls if I did it that way. But I've decided to completely redo them from scratch without looking at last year's poll. That way I have to justify everything again in my head based on what my current opinions are.

My top few coasters haven't changed since last year's poll, and I just moved other coasters around as I judged them.

^ Any list with El Toro and Phoenix could never be considered "pathetic." I don't bother with polls anymore, but if I did, the woodie one would look like this:

1. El Toro

2. Phoenix

3. Everything else.

Honestly, even if you emailed Mitch a ballot that said EXACTLY that, it would help out El Toro and Phoenix in the ranking!

Just group El Toro and #1, Phoenix and #2 and everything else as #3.

Easy! Ballot DONE!

Remember, Mitch's poll is set up so if you don't want to rank every coaster on their own you don't HAVE to. The poll can be as easy or as detailed as you want it to be.

I really do strongly reccomend everyone to read our Poll Guide and you'll see that you can do a ballot in less than 5 minutes with the grouping method if you want to:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/mitch.htm

--Robb

I think just about everyone who did the TPR East Coast trip had El Toro, Boulder Dash, and Phoenix in their top 3 and then large amount of daylight after that, except Adam.

I just sent mine in, I had Rollersoaker as my bottom ranked steel because it adds insult to it's mediocrity by making you so wet it's like you've taken a two minute shower in your clothes.

I gave Wildcat in Compounce my bottom wood becuase it sticks in my mind as giving me the worst beating out of any of those hell machines down th bottom of my ballot.

I just sent mine in, I had Rollersoaker as my bottom ranked steel because it adds insult to it's mediocrity by making you so wet it's like you've taken a two minute shower in your clothes.

You got wet on a ride called "Roller Soaker"???

^^I didn't take the name as literally as I should have, taking it to be something like High Speed Thrill Coaster.

I was more than soaked, I felt like I had been pissed on by King Kong. My fault, early in the day so there was no opportunity to see what happened to earlier riders, I would have been better prepared otherwise.