TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster crash at Frihedens Tivoli in Denmark

A serious accident occurred at a newly opened roller coaster in Aarhus late on Friday.

A carriage derailed and crashed to the ground - before the eyes of shocked witnesses.

Four people were injured and taken to hospital.

The serious accident occurred in Frihedens tivoli in Aarhus in Denmark late on Friday evening.

The newly opened attraction Cobra is 400 meters long and 25 metres high. The wagons reach speeds of up to 70 km / h, and the passengers slungas around in all directions during the voyage.

But late on Friday was something terribly wrong. A wagon come loose and crashed to the ground, with the passengers on board.

Replaced bolts

The circumstances of the accident early on Saturday was not known, but several bolts were exchanged a few hours before the accident took place.

When a repair was exchanged several bolts out, and then tested rock and rollercoaster without people on board.

-- A few more wagons was torn off but was left on the rails, said amusement park manager Henrik Olesen shortly after the accident.

Two men and two women taken to hospital after the accident.

None of them is alleged to have life threatening injuries.

Shocked witnesses

Shocked eyewitnesses received crisis on the spot after the accident.

-- I am deeply shocked by what happened. The move our worst nightmares, "says Henrik Olesen.

bergochdalbana-cobr_678378w.jpg.1550ee3e983c61744b825a088ee65c4a.jpg

1661.jpg.96bb84aa633dd8decea399a9ce9b9a97.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MUAHAHAHA, DIE COBRA

I rode it less then a week ago, on the way home from the meat with the TPR people at Heide park, and I just have to say that Cobra redefined my word for Pain, every I have ridden Vekoma coaster isn't even close to what Cobra manage.

One member of themeparkdenmark.dk were present in the park and witnessed the accident happening, and this is his statement:

This evening (Friday) there was a serious accident at Tivoli Friheden. as the first car of the new coaster "Cobra" broke of. I was at Friheden, waiting in line to Tyfonen, at the time and I'm an eyewitness to the accident. I was standing on the side that is closest to the first Inversion of Cobra (about 20 meters away) and I claim that I had the best view of the accident.

The thing that happened was that the train stalled on the first inversion, while the train stopped for a moment at the top the inversion the first care broke of the train with 2 passengers and fell down to the ground (the accident didn't happen from the tallest point of 25 meters, as the TV2 News says at the moment).

The car lands on it's back and I can delightfully see persons move. The rest of the train goes back and forth (as a pendulum). A couple of workers jump down to take care of it. TV2 News says that there was 4 wounded and no casualties. I guess that they are talking about the 2 in the first car and the 2 in the second car, that might have been hit by the first car. After the accident I left the park so I wouldn't be in the way for the many ambulance's, etc.

I would guess, by what I saw; that the train construction wasn't strong enough to hold for a roll-back in that inversion, but I can't confirm anything. I have also heard people talk about that the coaster have been closed, just before, due to technical problems.

The accident happened at 22:52 by my cell phone.

I felt a bit scared to actually see such a serious accident on a roller coaster, it was almost surreal! Especially since I rode it 45 minutes earlier.

I really think that Friheden will loose a lot of visitors due to this.

Link: http://www.themeparkdenmark.dk/TDDiscussion/viewtopic.php?t=1408

This must be a big set back for Ride-Tek since this is they first coaster, I wonder if Friheden will remove this one from the park and change it for something else, since they have just received permission to build up to 65 meters in height.

But yeah, Cobra should die, since it's such a crappy coaster, no matter what all the Danish fanboys says.

Wow. I don't know if I am biased towards this company, but I really don't like them. Their coaster train that has riders transition from a lay down position to a standup position was just dumb, and now, the only/only semi normal coaster by them stalls AND crashed. (90% sure I am biased now. lol) But I am glad that the two people involved in the crash don't have life-threatening injuries. Though it must have been one hell of a scare.

I guess we can bid so long to Ride-Tek, they will never sell another coaster again after making such a catastrophically idiotic oversight. I'm glad this happened before they made more coasters.

I just hope the park doesn't end up eventually closing over this. This is the GP's worst nightmare at a park, and you know how this will reverberate.

I'm sure the coaster itself is already history.

But wasn't it stated that a couple bolts were replaced on the trains just earlier in the day before this accident happened? Wouldn't that place the responsibility of the accident on the ride mechanics who perhaps didn't replace the bolts correctly, instead of blaming the ride company itself?

But wasn't it stated that a couple bolts were replaced on the trains just earlier in the day before this accident happened? Wouldn't that place the responsibility of the accident on the ride mechanics who perhaps didn't replace the bolts correctly, instead of blaming the ride company itself?
There was a few Ride-Tek mechanics hanging out in the station when we were there 6 days ago tweaking the system, so they could have been involved with this maintenance work that was done earlier that day.

I don't think this is RideTek's fault. The coaster was in operation so that means it has passed all strict tests thrown at amusement attractions. I'm guessing this one is lack of (proper) maintenance

I don't think this is RideTek's fault. The coaster was in operation so that means it has passed all strict tests thrown at amusement attractions. I'm guessing this one is lack of (proper) maintenance

Lack of Matience on a practically brand new coaster?

^I can't tell, I wasn't there. But I do know that safety-test are not easy to pass. They won't let any ride just pass. And because this is the company's first coaster, the people that check those rides for safety paid extra attention.

It's just bad luck to happen so soon and it's easy to see the coincidence, but I guess we should wait until the investigation is finished, and then draw conclusions.