TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I posted my source already for the 2011 coaster.

I spoke with the Park President for SFA this previous winter.

There was a billing issue with several season passes I purchased and we spoke for a while about the park's future and his intentions. He did not know I was a coaster enthusiast not did I tell him.

He told me in February that SFA would see a major family addition in 2010 as they needed to draw in the families because the companies strategy of targeting the teen audience didn't work at the turn of the millennium.

I inquired if SFA would ever see an El Toro-type wooden coaster and the PP talked about the direction of the park for 2010, 2011, 2012. He asked what I'd like to see at the park and said the park has a bright future ahead of it.

I've posted the contents of the conversation already. I continually get blasted on here and other sites of people who say that conversation never took place, I don't know what I'm talking about, blah blah blah blah blah.

If it happens, I'll be the first person to say I told you so. Something that is uncharacteristic for me.

1. Bolliger and Mabillard is a business. In order to cover the losses that Busch has in this apparent exclusivity contract, Busch would have to pay for a lost sale on each of its coasters. Considering the fact that B&M coasters aren't cheap, making a contract that would cover the cost of a lost sale would probably not be feasible without losing a large amount of money on Busch's part.

2. Coaster companies include different coasters in package deals in order to increase sales. In fact regular companies do this all the time as well (coupons). What if Intamin made a package deal (maybe a buy one get one half off) with I305 and Shoot the Rapids?

Clicky

As you can see, Millennium Force cost $25 million dollars when it first opened and chances are that price has gone up over time.

What makes you think Intamin even offered a hyper to CF/KD? With the success of Millennium Force, I think CF had a giga in mind for KD all along. It's not like Intamin pulled this idea out of a hat.

3. Or maybe CF gave Kings Dominion an offer for a B&M hyper. KD saw that CP was getting an Intamin ride and they were wondering whether or not there was an Intamin option. Considering the fact that Intamin coasters are some of the highest rated rides in the world compared to B&M hypers, KD opted for an Intamin.

Since KD is one of CF's bigger parks, CF believes they can pay off a giga coaster, and decides to go through with the deal.

Doubtful. They probably chose a giga over a hyper because their nearest competitor built a similar ride nearly a decade ago. Not saying it's not plausable that two parks so close to each other wouldn't install similar coasters, but, I don't think anyone would argue that I305 is going to be KD's signature attraction when it opens.

Agreed!

If an exclusivity contract does not exist, why not go with the company that has a flawless safety record compared to the company that's constantly being sued every time some is ejected from their rides.

CF has worked with Intamin many times before and Intamin has delivered a successful product (TTD, MF, Maverick). So what's wrong with going to a company that has delivered a successful product to parks all over the world? On top of that, you get rides like Ge Force, Bizarro, Storm Runner, Balder, etc... Yeah Intamin has its bugs, but that's what you get for pushing innovation.

CF has plopped B&M Hypers in three of the five former Paramount Parks. Obviously CF is happy with what they're received in Behemoth and Diamondback, why wouldn't they continue this trend, IF an exclusity contract does not exist.

Probably the same reason why CF has decided not to plop B&Ms into all their other parks. Or maybe because they just plopped a B&M coaster (slightly used) not too long ago...

Back to SFA...

Compared to other major SF parks (Great Adventure, Great America, Magic Mountain), SFA is small, so SF decided not to add big coasters to the park. They added big rides in the past (SROS/Batwing) and those coasters brought in the crowd that SFA doesn't really want. Instead they opt for a more family-friendly option, building waterslides. B&M coasters are big, expensive, and chances are, SFA cannot pay off the ride because SFA is a smaller park.

I posted my source already for the 2011 coaster.

Where? Which page? I think I lost it!

I've posted the contents of the conversation already. I continually get blasted on here and other sites of people who say that conversation never took place, I don't know what I'm talking about, blah blah blah blah blah.

Anyone can post information online and call it truth. For example, I can say that I know all the higher ups of every single park in America, and I can confirm that every single park in the US is getting an Aquatrax, but without proof, there will be skeptics that will be on your back. I don't care if you know the guy that owns SF and CF or your mothers second cousin twice removed and related to the Dippin Dots guy told you that Busch Gardens has a contract with B&M. I'll stay on your back until you can provide solid proof like a link to a legit news article or (legally or accidentally) leaked info, etc...

The industry has a fairly established saying... "those who know don't tell and those who tell don't know." The theme park industy is crawling with compitition and anything a park can do to delay information about future attractions being released, they will do! Unfortunately, sometimes plans do leak, and sometimes information gets out before the park intends it to. Take, for example, the recent release of the diagrams for WDW's Magic Kingdom expansion that were discovered before the official announcement.

On the flip side, parks can change their plans at VERY short notice. If you read the interviews from CP's "Shoot the Rapids," you'll know that the ride was delayed several times until the economic timing was just right.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, even if someone did supposidly tell you EXACTLY what was happening at any given park in 2011, until the concrete starts pouring, those plans could change.

I strongly believe, based off of the growing number of rumors and hearsay, that the INTENTION is to build a new coaster at SFA for 2011, however, given the state of the economy and the state of Six Flags, I could easily see the project being delayed or cancled should the wind blow in the wrong direction.

In regards to SFA, if you REALLY want the best idea of what's coming, watch the planning boards. The PG County planning board is VERY slow to approve new additions, so any new addition that's not already approved should show up on the agenda several months before any construction begins. And if you don't know what is already approved, go to the Planning Board Office and request to view the files (they are all public, just not available online). On top of that, even if it was approved, they would also need construction permits, which can also be seen online...

I agree with "the crowd". If you look at BGT, they are not exactly in the best part of Tampa, yet they are considered a destination park. I think it's how you manage "the crowd. If you establish a no tolerance policing and security in the park has the backing of management and local police then your going to have a crowd of people that obey the rules and everyone has a good time. SFA has come along way with "the crowd" at the park. Look around the country these days, even in the safest of communities violence is a problem. Including some amusement parks you would never think about it being problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope whatever we get in 2011 is good and worth coming back to the park for. It would be a shame to waste money on something like (Dark Knight) indoor coaster and watch the ride get old very fast. I would like to see another Premier Launch coaster. This one could be half indoor and half outdoor.

That's good that they are showing, they care for their rides now. Another thing the park needs to bring back is their old hours. They need to make the weekend days run until 10:00 pm. I miss riding Superman in the dark and it just seemed a lot more fun. Yea, the park is trying to save money but they are getting Thomas Land in 2010 and hopefully that will draw more people to our park. That means there will be a lot more people there riding coasters. If I'm correct, Thomas Land is going to be installed in Gotham City; correct me if I'm wrong. If it's in Gotham then it means that means there will be more people walking around in there.

Or does everyone think the park hours are fine vs. Kings Dominion closing at 10:00 pm. just about every day during the summer.

Yeah, it's great that they repainted Superman, it really surprised me too. I wasn't expecting that from SFA. I think SFA should definitely get more family oriented things. My parents don't even like to go there anymore because they never have anything to do there. I mean, a new coaster would be great, but something a little milder for the families would be good too. Oh, and something has to be done about Renegade Rapids! That ride doesn't get you wet at all! SFA should add some geysers or something. I was just really upset with that one. Also, SFA could improve on their ride operations. Please SFA, fix the red train on S:ROS! The line would be so much quicker if both trains were in use! Batwing's train operations need help too. I don't even ride it anymore because of the 1 train every 10 minutes dispatch time. Overall, SFA isn't the horrible park everybody says it is...to me at least. It's okay, but could use some major improvements.

What is wrong with the red train? It was running last night.

That is surprising because usually something is wrong or messed up on the red train. It always seems to be on the transfer track. I'm glad to hear that it was running though!

Don't get me wrong, but until the beginning of October, the red train was running pretty much all summer long. Just because the train is sitting on the transfer track doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, it could mean that with the crowd they are expecting they don't feel they may feel they don't need it. In all of my discussions with John Winkler, I have found the guy to be honest. He will look you in the eye and tell you if they were having problems. I really do think the park has came along with this season in terms of operations of the park. I even heard they had a 10% drop in down time this season. Hopefully that will continue to drop lower, but from what I understand it is in the range of an industry standard.

Don't get me wrong, but until the beginning of October, the red train was running pretty much all summer long. Just because the train is sitting on the transfer track doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, it could mean that with the crowd they are expecting they don't feel they may feel they don't need it. In all of my discussions with John Winkler, I have found the guy to be honest. He will look you in the eye and tell you if they were having problems. I really do think the park has came along with this season in terms of operations of the park. I even heard they had a 10% drop in down time this season. Hopefully that will continue to drop lower, but from what I understand it is in the range of an industry standard.
Oh, okay. I haven't been all summer, but past experiences of mine have always had the red train not running. I know that just because the red train is on the transfer track doesn't mean it is having problems, but I just don't understand why on most of my visits, most of which are in the summer, SFA only had the blue train running. Only once have I seen both trains running. So, I'm just wondering why would SFA only have one train running for one of their most popular rides if the other train isn't broken? But, I cant say anything about this season because I have only been once, but my past experiences have shown that S:ROS was usually only running one train even during the summer months. So, I'll go with you on the fact that S:ROS had both trains running. That is really good to hear. Thanks for informing me on that airtime!

I just got back from Six Flags America for it's Fright Fest and I have to say I'm not impressed. Nothing there really scared me. I think the park has gone way too family friendly with this part of the season. They really need more haunted attractions and they need to bring Brutal Planet back. The Haunted train ride was not even worth the 5 bucks. Superman broke an hour before the park closed which made a lot of people mad. The paint job on the ride looks pretty cool though. Joker's Jinx created a bit of a good effect with the strobe light in the tunnel, but the ride would still be better if it were inside. And did they slow Jokers Jinx down a bit. I noticed that the ride was a lot slower than what it normally is. People who were on the ride even made the same comment about it being slow.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I think JJ has gotten a bit slower this year. When I got on Flight Of Fear at KD, coming off of the launch and into the cobra roll, I felt super intense positive G's. On Joker's Jinx this past week, I barely felt any G's compared to last year. I do agree with Fright Fest being less scary too. I guess the Haunted House burning down didn't help either.

Yeah, I think JJ has gotten a bit slower this year. When I got on Flight Of Fear at KD, coming off of the launch and into the cobra roll, I felt super intense positive G's. On Joker's Jinx this past week, I barely felt any G's compared to last year. I do agree with Fright Fest being less scary too. I guess the Haunted House burning down didn't help either.

I'm still glad someone agrees with me. I also noticed with Jokers Jinx that there is a beep sound under the platform where the train is that continues to beep when the train is being locked down. And then beeping stops when the dispatch button is pressed and you hear the faint sound of the launch noise before it takes off. Then when it finally takes off you hear the actual launch sound. The ride never use to do that before. Either way, they need to put the ride inside and make it faster. Top speed of that ride should be a comfortable 70 mph. But the bottom line is, its not thrilling anymore. Also to add something, I have spoken to a technician that use to work at the park, and he told me the settings for the launch are suppose to launch it faster when it rains. We definitely did not feel that last night, as comments from the riders were being made while I was on the ride.

Second, there are so many areas that they could have used for haunted attractions at Six Flags America. They could have used the whole area where Two-Face use to be and built some huge maze. Another big area, that they could be using is the Gotham Arena. They could use the whole entrance and ground level as a maze. If they were lucky enough, maybe they could have called in some experts and theme it really well. Maybe even gotten permission from D.C. Comics to call it (Arkham Asylum). You never know, it may have became a great thing sense (Brutal Planet's) removal, which was another bad decision.

Any thoughts?

• 3 months later...