TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best time to hit Cedar Point and Kings Island?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weekdays.

Earlier the better at this point.

Probably best to avoid Memorial Day (although we've had pretty good luck with that holiday before at CP)

Only caveat to that is that at KI sometimes they don't run everything early in the season mid-week.

It looks like from their operating calendars, they only coincide the last week of the month being open all week. That probably is your best shot at smaller crowds because of school still being in session. The weather might be iffy this time of year but I would rather wear a sweatshirt and pants than stand in a 3 hour line for the rides.

Last year, I went during Father's Day weekend. It's always the park's "Gay Day" and can be busy. However, the lines for the coasters were dead. The day I arrived I used a Starlight Pass and got every coaster in.

Thanks for the quick responses. What's the likelihood that schools in Ohio will have field trips to either park? I had a bad experience last year in SFGA where there were a few hundred school kids on a Friday and all the lines were about a half hour to an hour long. I'd like to avoid that kind of situation this time especially in Cedar Point.

I was at CP last year on Memorial day and the day after

on Memorial day Maverick was ~ 2hr wait all day (this was like 2 days after it opened)

TTD ~1.5hrs

MF ~ 45 minutes

Those were the three longest waits

A couple rides were around 30 minutes but Magnum (just opened after its 'incident' and was running 1 train), Gemini, Blue Streak, Mean Streak, Iron Dragon, Corkscrew had near walkon lines

The day after Maverick line was down to about 1.5 hrs, TTD down to about 30 minutes, and MF was about the same

All other rides had really short lines though

^ That sounds about right for Memorial Day weekend. My family and I used to go there on Memorial Day and Labor Day and the crowds were never ridiculous - considering it was a holiday weekend. The ride waits for the newer, bigger coasters was usually about a 1-2 hour wait and the rest of the rides and coasters were never more than a half hour.

DEFINITELY watch the weather and dress accordingly. I quit making plans to go to CP in May because there were at least three times that I (along with some friends) ventured out there to beat the summer crowds and we were rained out the entire weekend. The forecast was for a 40% chance of rain but we never got a break and ended up driving home disappointed.

As far as school bus trips, you can pretty much figure that there is always going to be at least one on any given day during that time of the year. I recall going in early June once during a weekday thinking that it would be dead and it was packed with tons of high school kids. I would always prepare for large groups of teenagers. They will most likely be there during the early season...even if schools are still in session!

It might sound strange, but I have had unusually good luck going on Friday's. Some of the emptiest times that I have seen at the park! Also, July 3rd it was completely dead being the day before the holiday.

If you search around on google you can find alot about it.

www.whentoride.com

The Point buzz has info on when to plan a trip

Sadly, I havn't had a first hand account so I myself couldn't tell you. I will be able to tell you soon though. Leaving to CP on friday. I'll try to tell you how crowded the park was, because it will probably be about the same as the next week

Can anyone tell me if there are waterfalls on the rapids ride?

Yeah, they used to have a couple of waterfalls near the beginning of the ride, as well as the canyon falls on both sides near the end. Used to pretty much guarantee a soaking for everyone. For some reason, they turned the early waterfalls off as well as most of the water cannons. The ride isn't as good as it used to be!

Alright guys, looks like plans have changed. I'll be heading over to CP and KI in the first week of June. I have 2 choices now due to the postponement. I can go to KI on Tuesday and CP on Thursday and Friday OR I can go to CP on Tuesday and Wednesday and KI on Friday. What would be the better choice as far as crowd sizes and queue lengths are concerned?

• 3 weeks later...

I visited CP and Kings Island on the 10th and 12th of July in 2000 ( I have not saved enough money to return as i've done other things within the last 8 years of my life, but I will return to CP and KI soon).

I found all the Q's at Cedar Point, less than 1 hour and Magnum was a walk-on..

No problems with Q's at Kings Island, had 4 rides on "Beast", the last one was at night, amazing coaster with no lights anywhere..