TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Honestly, a 5-15 minute wait isn't going to hurt me, especially if the crews are moving fast and the GP don't hinder their speed at getting the rides dispatched. These waits are what I usually see on a Sunday visit. I typically go on Sundays as that's my day off and will most likely be less hectic than a Saturday. Other than during the summer months (When school lets out to when school starts) Sundays are pretty quiet/light. And my avarage wait times for rides happen to be about a 2-3 train wait.

Was messing around, began to wonder: 'What would Toy Factory's theme sound like if I tweaked the singer's voice a bit, changing the pitch overall so it was his natural voice?' I think this may be pretty close, a little creepy and funny at the same time if you ask me. I've heard the guy talk before on CGA's haunt videos and this sounds pretty close.

Was messing around, began to wonder: 'What would Toy Factory's theme sound like if I tweaked the singer's voice a bit, changing the pitch overall so it was his natural voice?' I think this may be pretty close, a little creepy and funny at the same time if you ask me. I've heard the guy talk before on CGA's haunt videos and this sounds pretty close.

Now I understand an earlier comment about going crazy with the Toy Factory song.

And I just spent like an hour watching video tours of Knott's mazes. It makes me totally want to go to one of these things this year. I've never done Halloween at an amusement park, but nothing I saw looked too bad. The Doll Factory looked super creepy.

While this is not saying much at all, atleast this looks positive, a brief summer report from Cedar Fair:

http://www.cedarfair.com/ir/press_releases/index.cfm?current_root=15&mode=story&story_id=320

SANDUSKY, Ohio, Sept. 8, 2011 -- Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN), a leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and active entertainment, today reported that it has continued its strong performance through Labor Day weekend.

As of September 4, 2011, year-to-date revenues increased approximately $33 million, or 4%, to approximately $857 million compared with $824 million for the same period a year ago. Driving this year-over-year growth was a 2% increase in attendance to 19.1 million visitors, coupled with a 2% increase in in-park guest per capita spending to $40.10 and a 5% increase in out-of-park revenues to approximately $90 million.

"The summer of 2011 is proving to be another strong operating season for Cedar Fair," said Dick Kinzel, chief executive officer. "Our new rides and attractions, including WindSeeker, a 301-foot-tall thrill ride introduced at our four largest parks, continued to attract guests during the peak vacation month of August. Our creative marketing efforts and pricing initiatives also continued to drive growth, particularly at Canada's Wonderland, Knott's Berry Farm, Kings Island and California's Great America.

"As we head into our award-winning Halloween season, we feel very good about the steadily increasing momentum we are building across our well-maintained and diversified portfolio of parks," added Kinzel. "Should these trends continue throughout our important Fall season, we will generate full-year net revenues at the high end or slightly above our previous guidance of $975 million to $1.0 billion. At the same time, assuming similar trends, we believe our full-year adjusted EBITDA will be at the middle to upper end of our guidance of $350 million to $370 million."

Kinzel concluded by noting the Company is on track to pay a 70 cent per unit distribution in December, bringing the total amount of distributions paid in 2011 to $1.00 per unit. The Company continues to target an annualized distribution rate of $2.00 or more per unit in 2013.

So Cedar Fair, how 'bout a new attraction for us?

While this is not saying much at all, atleast this looks positive, a brief summer report from Cedar Fair:

http://www.cedarfair.com/ir/press_releases/index.cfm?current_root=15&mode=story&story_id=320

SANDUSKY, Ohio, Sept. 8, 2011 -- Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN), a leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and active entertainment, today reported that it has continued its strong performance through Labor Day weekend.

As of September 4, 2011, year-to-date revenues increased approximately $33 million, or 4%, to approximately $857 million compared with $824 million for the same period a year ago. Driving this year-over-year growth was a 2% increase in attendance to 19.1 million visitors, coupled with a 2% increase in in-park guest per capita spending to $40.10 and a 5% increase in out-of-park revenues to approximately $90 million.

"The summer of 2011 is proving to be another strong operating season for Cedar Fair," said Dick Kinzel, chief executive officer. "Our new rides and attractions, including WindSeeker, a 301-foot-tall thrill ride introduced at our four largest parks, continued to attract guests during the peak vacation month of August. Our creative marketing efforts and pricing initiatives also continued to drive growth, particularly at Canada's Wonderland, Knott's Berry Farm, Kings Island and California's Great America.

"As we head into our award-winning Halloween season, we feel very good about the steadily increasing momentum we are building across our well-maintained and diversified portfolio of parks," added Kinzel. "Should these trends continue throughout our important Fall season, we will generate full-year net revenues at the high end or slightly above our previous guidance of $975 million to $1.0 billion. At the same time, assuming similar trends, we believe our full-year adjusted EBITDA will be at the middle to upper end of our guidance of $350 million to $370 million."

Kinzel concluded by noting the Company is on track to pay a 70 cent per unit distribution in December, bringing the total amount of distributions paid in 2011 to $1.00 per unit. The Company continues to target an annualized distribution rate of $2.00 or more per unit in 2013.

So Cedar Fair, how 'bout a new attraction for us?

CW - Leviathan

KBF - Rumored Hyper/Giga Coaster

KI - Soak City

CGA - Come on, give us some WindSeeker!

A Windseeker would be a "just okay" addition in my opinion. To truly try to be competitive with SFDK the park would need to add something that will generate some real excitement and buzz, not just among the hardcore enthusiasts, but also among those so often referred to as the "GP". The long-rumored woodie, or something totally out of left field, along the lines of what SFDK did with the new Premier launch coaster, would be much bigger draws. They also need to take a more serious look at some form of front-of-line passes that are priced reasonably enough that I can justify buying them.

I really do try to like CGA, but the park just baffles me with the way they just seem to refuse to even try to compete with the relatively close SF park. CGA has a nice enough atmosphere, and plenty of good flats, but their lack of anything at all in the way of new coasters has kept me from buying a season pass for a few years now. On the other hand, I will be ordering passes for the entire family from SF. Considering that I'll make at least a few visits to SFMM every year, in addition to a half dozen or more trips to DK, it's just a no-brainer from a perspective of value for the money spent. Since I don't like waiting in line on busy days, I'll shell out the money for Flash Passes on several of those visits. SF will make some nice money on me, and my family will have a good time enjoying the park at our own pace without long waits. It's a win-win in my book.

Considering what a bargain I get on the SF season passes, I still feel that I get good value even after spending extra money for Flash Passes on a few visits. With Cedar Fair charging considerably more for season passes that would also work for entry at Knott's, and then not offering front-of-line passes with anything short of incredibly expensive VIP packages, the perception of value for the money I'd be spending just isn't there for me.

I'm not bashing the park, or the chain's policies, I'm just offering my opinion, from my perspective, in the hopes that those in park management that read these forums will consider the point of view that I have. I think me and my family represent almost exactly the demographic that they try to attract, yet the way things are presently done they're not attracting me. Outside of the TPR Bay Area event days, which I do enjoy and appreciate a great deal, I haven't visited CGA in 4 years.

Took some photos before the park opened today and some on my break, There are some of the Haunt decorations up around the park, mostly small things right now, such as scarecrows and clowns, and of course Jack over in front of Carnevil. Also got a few images of the remainder of the old ramp that lead out of the Hometown Square Train Station, since I had mentioned it a while back, but had no images of it to show.

And on another note, Firefall had half of it's fire effects working in the lower pond area this morning (I assume they were testing it to see if it works on the one side for now), but after that they did not come back on at all. Hopefully they'll have the fire effects fully working soon.

^^I was looking for that ramp and was trying to figure out what you were referring to a while back. Pretty cool to see. You can also see part of the railroad path between Flight Deck and the Rapids. I believe the bridge over the channel (leading to or from the reservoir) was also part of the train.

Yeah, I was glad to have gotten a picture of it finally-I'd been wanting too, just forgot to bring my camera with me, it's not the easiest to see since it's blocked by trees (mostly) and cut off by the control room for Celebration Swings and is hidden and unaccesible by the general public ( I got into it through Triple Play's old spot) But it is indeed pretty cool to see the small remnant that used to lead up to the station.

I think I've seen that part of the old rail bed before, last season when waiting to go back into the station at Flight Deck. Is that bridge leading over the channel near Flight Deck as well? If so, I've never been in that section of backstage area before, but that is neat too, especially if it is a remnant of the train line. When they did the backstage tour, did they cover mostly all parts of it?

I hope SOMETHING is coming in 2012. (That isn't a show or game) Like everyone's been saying, SFDK's new coaster is going to be hard to beat, but just CGA getting a new RIDE would be even more impressive . A Windseeker maybe? I know SFDK has a Star Flyer, but this one has the chance to be much taller, making it a bit more fun!

^Haha!

Just an observation: While on the Grizzly's ten minute turnaround yesterday, I spotted a bulldozer parked behind the Invertigarden's fence, about where the Beverly Hills Cop 3 shed is. The stage is gone, with only dirt in the middle, but the grass is greener than ever.

I also rode a new coaster at CGA...Woodstock's Express! Even though my legs barely fit, it was awesome! Got to ride it twice in a row due to no lines...The helix is fun, and the ride was faster (and rougher) than I expected! It was good to get a new credit.

^I rode Woodstock Express a couple weeks ago and felt so dirty doing so...the rest of the train was full of kids and my seatbelt (not lapbar) just barely fit. I was wondering if the T-bar was even going to make it over my knees but it did. Lastly, gotta love how WSE uses tires as its brakes, rather than traditional brakes.