TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I drove by the building next to the MF turn and it was empty!

The tunnels, the walls, I don't care, it just makes it more interesting and I swear screaming by some of those walls you get the feeling you can touch them. Its an amazing ride and these little things will do nothing to ruin it.

I'm sure the park is pushing hard to open Gold Striker in time for the holiday weekend. Hopefully they can pull it off with the final approvals as well as a media event. They have done such a great job with marketing lately I''m sure they won't want to miss an opportunity like this.

Even if it does not open this weekend, that is okay. It is still relatively early in the season and we have all summer long to enjoy this amazing new ride.

The walls do had a little bit of something to the ride that I kind of like.

All the bitchy neighbors fault for Gold Striker's delayed opening. Those big fat complainers. If they don't like the sound CGA should tell THEM to do something about it like make their whole building sound proof so Gold Striker doesn't have ugly walls around it. Gold Striker should be renamed to Walls the ride. Why should Gold Striker's views should be ruined. Those idiot neighbors need to sound proof their building or if they don't like it MOVE OUT! SIMPLE!

So the ride's got walls...from a visual standpoint, seeing it from the station, it almost looks like it's part of the theming...after all, it is gold mining! My cousin actually just asked me what the purpose of the walls and such were for, thinking it was part of the theming. It's also two-fold. It will appease the neighbors (and show that CGA is looking out for their neighbors) and it will block our view of the offices/business district just outside the walls of CGA...who wants to be reminded of the real world outside the park's gates anyway when you're in a place to escape reality? Oh, and did I say they're nice face choppers? Coming out of the 2nd turnaround (prudential/middle finger turn) that inside wall while banking feels like it's going to slice you in the face...and when hands are up, looks uncomfortably close!

Honestly, having ridden it with and without the walls, the walls really don't detract from the ride experience...just more head choppers! In the end CGA has an awesome woodie and I'm ready to ride it another 50 times...as much as it will now take longer to reach my 100 mark (and from what I'm hearing, it's sounding like it *could* open next weekend.)

So I was just checking the Coasting for Kids website and it looks like there are 8 TPR members signed up so far. Is anybody else planning on signing up this year? Overall so far the turnout this year seems kind of weak compared to last year. To me this is kind of a shame considering how great of a year it was for all us enthusiasts last year at the park, and what a banner year it is going to be this year at CGA.

I'm hoping that more people will sign up and or help out, both to show support for CGA as well as to help out GKTW. By the way for those of you who may not know GKTW is actually a top rated organization that is known for how well they spend every dollar that comes in . As in the vast majority directly goes to helping the kids as opposed to paying salaries.

The tunnels, the walls, I don't care, it just makes it more interesting and I swear screaming by some of those walls you get the feeling you can touch them. Its an amazing ride and these little things will do nothing to ruin it.

Exactly! I think they are interesting and a little "different" - definitely adding to the ride. They will make strange tunnel-like sounds when your on the ride, too. Cool!

I will say this much, the ride was supposed to open last Saturday and then this Saturday. Yet it was still closed for an unknown reason, the park is trying to get it running on Pride Night and have it open for the weekend.

I just got home from a good day at the park. Took my nephew for his first time there. Boy was it packed, we decided to get fast lane so that we wouldn't be waiting in line all day (normally wouldnt do that but it was crazy busy).I gotta say it was nice to finally see gold striker in person, but ill have to wait till next time to ride. They had a deal that is good until the 27th, a regular season pass is the same price as a single day, had to do that.

Just a few quick things from today.

Operations on a few of the rides were slow, probably just new employees still getting the hang of things.

Was stuck on the lift hill of flight deck for about 10 minutes.

Flight deck was as forcefull as ever, got a few grey outs on my few rides.

Went on Tiki twirl for the first time, enjoyed it even with the uncomfortable restraints.

Got completely soaked on the rapids, don't remember ever getting as wet as I did today.

Looking forward to gold striker opening. I bugged a few of the ride ops around the park about gold striker and I kept hearing the 29th, but we will see about that.

^ If I had the extra money I would have purchased Fast Lane yesterday, I haven't seen the park so crowded in a long time!

Yesterday was a fun day nonetheless, although there was a hick up yesterday when a large portion of the park lost power which screwed everything up for a little while. Other than that it was a fun day despite the crowds.

268951_160966677413460_257349116_n.thumb.jpg.c90977b10b54ef6759159ed2508c15dd.jpg

This was Grizzly's line around 3:00, I feel sorry for all those people waiting for that ride.

photo.thumb.JPG.7603dd4f9f6b1681e2f3493dc1e4b9d6.JPG

I was able to get a sneak peak at some of the Gold Striker merch that they will be selling. I ended buying this miner hat, the light actually works in the front and has led's for lights!

Holy crap, that line for Grizzly looks easily at least 3 hours long...maybe even more considering Grizzly's capacity. As for the miner hat, all I can say is that LEDs are awesome because they're super efficient, they don't heat up, and they last freakin' forever. We're all going to have to buy these hats sooner or later!

Edited by Blue Fire Guy

Holy crap, that line for Grizzly looks easily at least 3 hours long...maybe even more considering Grizzly's capacity. As for the miner hat, all I can say is that LEDs are awesome because they're super efficient, they don't heat up, and they last freakin' forever. We're all going to have to buy them sooner or later!

Unfortunately. I don't like being forced into all this energy efficient LED junk (that can be EXPENSIVE to replace when it fails). If I want to use energy wasting cheap incandescent lamps that will cost me more to operate that should be MY decision. What I choose to use for lighting should not be decided for me, it should be MY choice!

Anyway, I find it interesting that the park had a partial power outage. Anybody know what happened? What area of the park was out and for how long?

Anyway, I find it interesting that the park had a partial power outage. Anybody know what happened? What area of the park was out and for how long?

PG&E was doing some work some where and they didn't let some other company know and it created a power surge. It caused almost everything to be down, but it seemed to get back up within an hour.

A line half that length for Grizzly isn't worth waiting, let alone that crazy long one. Gold Striker on the other hand...

And yes I plan on picking up a miner hardhat when the shop opens. I could actually have a practical use for it...like when I crawl under my desk to undo my computer, and need light...and protect my dome from getting clobbered.

PG&E...I'd rather not post my rants about them, can write a novel on it

While it was very busy yesterday the park gave my nephew a good first impression. He had only been to SFDK before yesterday. He liked the layout and appearance of the park and said the fried chicken at M@ggie browns was some of the best he has had. He was very impressed with flight deck and he though grizzly looked like a waste of time.

A line for Grizzly isn't worth waiting,
Fixed!

I loved that chicken place growing up! They had the best brownies!

I'm interested to see how the GP like Gold Striker, if it ever opens!

Edited by jray21

Just got this press release from CGA about Memorial Day weekend events.

GREAT AMERICA HONORS MILITARY HEROES MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

FREE ADMISSION MAY 25, 26, 27 FOR ACTIVE AND RETIRED MILITARY

Free Tickets, $19.99 Family Tickets and $7 Picnic Meal For Current & Retired Military

Fireworks Spectacular At 9:30 PM Sunday For All California's Great America Guests

SANTA CLARA, CA - California's Great America will honor America's service men and women Memorial Day Weekend with free park admission on May 25, 26 and 27 for all current and retired military personnel. In addition, attending family members are eligible for $19.99 tickets (up to 6 family members) and all members of a military member's party can join in a picnic meal for just $7 (Noon-3 PM in Picnic Pavilion).

An all-new fireworks spectacular, set to patriotic music, will decorate the sky above California's Great America at 9:30 p.m. on Sunday, May 26, celebrating those who have sacrificed so much.

"Our military families do so much for us and this is just a small acknowledgement for their contributions," said California's Great America Vice President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg. "We hope everyone takes the time to honor and remember current, retired and deceased military service men and women this weekend."

California's Great America will open May 25, 26 and 27 at 10 a.m. with a color guard flag presentation and the singing of America's national anthem.

Free and $19.99 tickets may be purchased at the front gate on May 25, 26 and 27 by displaying the proper military credentials. The picnic meal will include a hot dog, garden salad, potato salad, fountain beverages and ice cream novelties.

Beginning Saturday, May 25, California's Great America and Boomerang Bay will be open daily through Labor Day.

CEDAR FAIR

California's Great America is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to California's Great America, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, four water parks, one indoor water park, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in California under a management contract.

So we can officially say Gold Striker won't be running on the parks big holiday weekend...

That's too bad if it's not open, that really would have been a great time to do it, but it will open when it's ready.

Btw, anybody know or see any pics and video yet from the promo shoot?