TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually went to Magic World way back yonder when I was under 10. (That would've been over 20 years ago) There weren't any rides if I remember, just some kind of train that went along a rail like antique cars and went through a diorama type mountain.

Here is a page from the Guiness Book of World's Records. Seems funny that the biggest coaster in the world was only was only 110' tall with a max drop of only 92'. Pretty mild by today's standards.

Congrats to the Screamin' Eagle for holding the World's Record!

worldrecord1.thumb.jpg.20ea80f09fa2fd2d94da8b1eb3023585.jpg

Here is a look at one of the stars of the motion picture, "Roller Coaster". The Rocket was featured in the opening sequence of the movie and later starred in a made for TV movie called, "The Death of Oceanview Park".

The quality of this post is lacking, but the information on this ride is exceptional. It sure looked like a terrific ride, unfortunately I never had the chance to ride it.

The Rocket

rocket10.thumb.jpg.da5a6a3595364c0f1e066b287bfd7025.jpg

rocket5.thumb.jpg.17f8b801cd5322a1d171fed87ddda2bd.jpg

rocket6.thumb.jpg.7dc5d7ce359d2a50cf24ab4c6fd277b3.jpg

rocket7.thumb.jpg.5f5c1073f37a5faa8715125ca1fea939.jpg

rocket8.thumb.jpg.94d8a948d956061fcee87dc7546e174e.jpg

rocket9.thumb.jpg.908d666d4a75b30591fd516459c95a6b.jpg

The Rocket... Such a shame it went out the way it did- and it really DIDN'T want to go when it did-

For many years, three of the cars from the Rocket were stored outside Old Dominion University- A friend of mine showed them to me once, and it was -tragic- as they sat rotting away outside an old warehouse. The cars themselves were still in recognizable condition- and had it not been for the beehive that had formed inside one of them, I might have taken a much closer look. The running wheels and basic understructure of the cars were rusted out completely- and if I'd had more time (and money) I would have made an attempt to save them.

As far as I know, however, the cars (And the warehouses therein) were removed to make way for a basketball arena for Old Dominion back in the early part of the 2000s (I graduated from William and Mary just before they started construction there)- so I don't know if the cars themselves were saved. Sadly, though, I don't think they made it out alive.

R.D.