TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ole' South USA

Hello Guys,

Yesterday I was looking aroud screamscape and came accross this:

A group of businessmen from Franklin are planning a new theme park and resort destination for the Nashville area called Ole’ South USA. The park would be themed after the four corners of the South: Appalachia, Countryside, Southern Shores and New South. This new theme park concept is looking to recreate the culture, heritage and hospitality of the region through themed rides, shows, dining experiences and entertainment. The project has been in development for three years so far and has already established a commitment of nearly 2000 acres just south of Nashville for the site. Currently the project is still in the feasibility phase of development as they work with many industry veterans from Disney, ITEC and Baker Leisure Group to develop and design the project. “The developers describe Ole’ South USA as a cross between Disney’s Magic Kingdom and Opryland. Pre-feasibility estimates project first year attendance of 1.3 million guests and jobs for over 400 residents. More announcements concerning the park will be coming soon.”

I know I certainly am looking forward to hearing more about this project. Ever since Gaylord decided to shut down Opryland USA, the whole Nashville area has been in an uproar to bring a new theme park to the region and this just may be the ticket. Anyone else know more about this or any other Nashville park projects?

I know that was from 2006, but what about this:

After hearing nothing for the past nine months I was thinking that the Ole’ South USA project may have dropped off the radar, but we received a new development update for the park yesterday as well as a link to their website.

“Rally Hill, TN - Ole South USA resort development has just received its completed feasibility study from Cochrane Consultants, Long Beach, California with information allowing the developers to continue to move forward with the project. Long time theme park architectural firm Bullock,Smith and Partners, Nashville, Tennessee have joined the team to assist with early design work on the master plan and to assist in preparing for public discussing. Public emails have been 100% in support of the Ole South project. Recent meetings with the Tennessee Department of Transportation included discussions to begin traffic studies for the proposed development and meetings with the South Central Tennessee Development District included discussions of infrastructure needs. Park attendance estimates are 1,250,000 for the opening year, stabilizing at about 1,700,000 the third year of operation. Job impact estimates are underway and should be available soon.”

So What do you think? It says the local residents have wanted a park for ages since the closure of opryland. This is the link to their website:

(Just ignore the annoying music lol)

www.olesouthusa.com/

I personally think its gonna be great for the tourism in that area! Discuss and maybe someone who live in tennesse could grab a couple of construction pictures for us!

Cheers,

BlackHole2006

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, while I'm definitely for another park in the Nashville area, I really don't know if this Ole South concept could theme/support said park.

1. Way too easy to fall into various southern stereotypes. "Hey ya'll, get in the truck! We goin to muddin today and then to Redneck Land!"

2. Though emphasizing southern hospitality, too easy to bring up bad feelings related to the Civil War. Somebody will have issues. If people today flip out about the Dukes of Hazard's General Lee car's confederate paintjob from the 70's, they'll find something minute to fuss over here.

3. Blatantly obvious it's an Opryland knock-off. Sorry guys, that park and the feel surrounding it just can't be duplicated. Much as I love that park, it's a sad and true fact.

I've lived in Alabama a good chunk of my life and have come to enjoy many of the charms and quirks of Southern culture. Just recently discovered 7-Up cake and love it! So I'm NOT bashing the South at all. I just see difficulties in the current theme and think a different one would be better suited and might reflect better on the area. Granted, it's early, and the designers could do a really nice job that put's things in a positive light, but a separate and fresh concept might be a better idea here.

Important note. Dollywood has done a WONDERFUL job blending Southern culture, fun and entertainment. It might be better for Ole South to look in that direction instead of Antebellum Plantation.

For the record, I want to see this park and the new Splash Valley in Chattanooga succeed, because we NEED more quality parks in the area.

• 1 month later...

I think a few weeks ago the website was changed a little. There's not much new on it, just a different layout. Really the only "big" change is the statement "The feasibility study is completed and we are in negotiations with a development partner..." It's still pretty hush hush too... and although I would love for this to happen, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

^ lol definitely the biggest mess up! I hate the fact that it's gone... especially my one of my favorite coasters "Chaos" lol. It wasn't the most thrilling but I think if someone finds the right theme and special effects it could be a very good ride everyone would love.

BTW I thought I might throw in the fact that I can NEVER find anything to buy at Opry Mills but something to eat at the restaraunts! lol

Oh, but you can pet stingrays and play uv golf. That's way better than any amusement park.

Yeah, when the highlite of the shopping trip is the bean bag kiosk and Orange Julius, somethings wrong. I'll give them that the Bass outlet store is pretty cool, and the hotel does have DiVine in the Delta section, but that's it. Not even the Dave and Busters gets them off the hook.

90's Gaylord management gets an automatic implosion. No dice roll required.

But I'm not bitter.........

Ok, complaining over with. On a positive note, I do hope they can pull together the new park idea and do it really well. I honestly want them to succeed.

I'm all for this new park for Nashville, Tennessee (heck, I'm for any new park that's being built - it means a "I must visit it" for me), especially since I never got to visit Opryland (I met people who had and they told me wonderful stories about that park).

"I wish I had more to say, but I can't think of anything else to add."

^ Check out the Shane's Amusement Attic thread. There's a wonderful section of Opryland brochures and info he's collected.

Opryland was just fun small park with a great vibe. The closest park that has a similar feel is Dollywood. Notice I said feel and not size.

Ole South better have cheese logs, and good ones too!

Yea I saw that part about the TL too and I wondered the same thing. I don't think that will happen but who knows they might be able to pull something off.

BTW I was pretty young when Opryland exsisted, what exactly is a Cheese Log? lol I remember the huge cookies (my dad worked in the park so I got a few snacks from the park for free lol) but I don't remember the Cheese Logs at all, not to mention what place they came from.

^ Dude! I forgot the about the huge cookies. Drat! missed that credit.

The cheese logs were narrow (almost breadstick?) sub bun swith several different melted cheeses and seasonings. The thing was about like a foot-long hot dog. I remember getting one at a little stall/kiosk near Old Mill Scream (by the Nature Store or on the other side of the lake by Sweet Shop?) and the taste was just awesome. The sign said something like "Cheese Logs" or "Home Made Cheese Logs", because I remember reading it and thinking "What's that?" It wasn't a little 2-wheel cart or the boxy roof stall like what's sitting in Opry Plaza now. Heh, it was kinda like Lucy's Psychiatric Help stand in peanuts.

Ironically, there is a Herschel Little Dipper coaster (same model and vintage as Little Rock N Roller coaster) at the FEC 5 minutes away from my apartment. One of the ride ops said it compared some in feel to LRnR, which he had ridden. Hope to ride that this summer just for sakes sake.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

Another update has been posted on the website. They've updated the website with a new comment from the founders and an art concept of the park. It looks like it would be ok but it seems like there going to start small from the art concept. Here is the comment made by David Webb one of the founders:

To the Good Citizens of Middle Tennessee,

We at Ole South USA would like to thank you for all of the encouraging emails over the past months regarding this development. Those of us that lived here during the days of Opryland know what a void that was created when Gaylord decided to close Opryland. It is our goal to bring back a wholesome place for people of all ages to visit and make great memories. As mentioned in a previous press release, we have had a feasibility study done that gave us the go-ahead to build the pursue this development. Since the last press release, we have been in negotiations for possible financing with several groups. At this point, we feel we are in the final stages of securing financing for part or possibly all of the resort. We are also bringing people on board that are passionate about the project and willing to put effort into it to see that it happens. As far as the location is concerned, we have our first choice of the Marshall/Maury County location, but we are not locked into that location. We are looking at two other possible locations on the outskirts of Nashville. On this updated website, we have a form that you can fill out to get on a mailing list to receive updates, or if you feel you want to be a part of this development project in any capacity, please feel free to let us know. Thank you for your time and and we look forward to sharing additional news soon regarding Ole South.

This is also the link to the website so yall can check out the picture. Click here

LOL, they're sure taking a lot of cues from Disney, from the Park Layout to the Soarin ripoff.

If it is anything like they describe, it should be a great park. Of course it could also be more like Wild West World.

-Kyle "skeptical" Miller

To the Good Citizens of Middle Tennessee,

We at Ole South USA would like to thank you for all of the encouraging emails over the past months regarding this development. Those of us that lived here during the days of Opryland know what a void that was created when Gaylord decided to close Opryland. It is our goal to bring back a wholesome place for people of all ages to visit and make great memories. As mentioned in a previous press release, we have had a feasibility study done that gave us the go-ahead to build the pursue this development. Since the last press release, we have been in negotiations for possible financing with several groups. At this point, we feel we are in the final stages of securing financing for part or possibly all of the resort. We are also bringing people on board that are passionate about the project and willing to put effort into it to see that it happens. As far as the location is concerned, we have our first choice of the Marshall/Maury County location, but we are not locked into that location. We are looking at two other possible locations on the outskirts of Nashville. On this updated website, we have a form that you can fill out to get on a mailing list to receive updates, or if you feel you want to be a part of this development project in any capacity, please feel free to let us know. Thank you for your time and and we look forward to sharing additional news soon regarding Ole South.

This may be one of the nicest and informative press releases I've ever read. Will it happen? Who knows. I think most of us are smart enough to not fully believe anything until ground is broken, but this was truly a breath of fresh air for the industry.

LOL, they're sure taking a lot of cues from Disney, from the Park Layout to the Soarin ripoff.

If it is anything like they describe, it should be a great park. Of course it could also be more like Wild West World.

-Kyle "skeptical" Miller

It strangely did seem like a WWW copy when I started reading this, but since this is a group-owned park it does seem like it will have more of a possibility.

The concept drawing does kind of make the park a little small though.

Some interesting rides they're starting off with. A Space Shot in a silo, a Mississippi River rapids or splash battle, and this tri-track coaster.

^Larry, my first thought was 3 lane racing woodie. Sure, it could be anything, and I'm out to lunch. Interesting to see, however.

Ok, now this is biting at me, and yes, I'm totally out to lunch on the woodie. To stay low to the ground, gives a launched coaster credibility. A launched shuttle might fit in there some how, or a very small banked oval...Aha! after looking at the concept art, there is indeed a small banked oval with 3 sets of tracks. This makes me think motocoaster variant with Nascar theming, because of it's launch and small footprint.

Enough theorizing from me. We'll see soon enough.

• 2 years later...

Ole South is back in the spotlight...somewhat. The news website link includes video, but I don't know how to embed it here.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/27268350/detail.html

The ambitious plan to put a theme park, NBA stadium and several mega-hotels into Spring Hill has had people buzzing for weeks. But there's another proposal to build an amusement park nearby that's been quietly in the works for years.

Earlier this month, developer Dennis Peterson unveiled his Festival Tennessee plans with a big announcement. He promised the park would bring 15,000 to 20,000 jobs to Spring Hill and that his company would cover the entire $750 million cost to build it.

Since then, repeated questions have been raised about the developer's background and whether the plan is even possible. A few miles away, another developer is flying under the radar, hoping to build a park he calls Ole South USA on a 1,200 acre tract of land straddling the Maury and Marshall counties line.

Ole South's website said the entertainment resort would feature camping, a water park, hotels, residential and office space.

"He seemed like he had credibility," said Mike Hatten, town administrator of Chapel Hill.

Hatten said he first heard a pitch by the developer about four years ago and said his credentials checked out.

"He had a strategic plan on how he would develop it," said Hatten. "So overall, we were fairly impressed."

The man behind Ole South is David Webb of Franklin. He declined an interview, saying it's way too early. He said he's been working on the project for the last few years and has recently done a feasibility study.

Webb said he's following a step-by-step process before making any public announcement. That includes meeting with the county officials from Marshall and Maury counties, as well as the Tennessee Department of Transportation and other state officials. Webb said the project slowed down when the economy went south last year, but he's still pursuing the theme park.

"He wanted a big tract of land," said Bud Mitchum, one of the landowners Webb has been talking to.

But Mitchum said the project seems stalled.

"I think it's kind of dead," he said.

Mitchum said he suspects Webb doesn't have the financial backing he needs.

"He asked me if I would be willing to put up $75,000. He painted a pretty picture of how much I would get if the thing went through," said Mitchum.

Mitchum didn't think it was smart for him to put up the money since he was the one selling the land. Ole South's developer said he's looking at three possible sites in Marshall and Maury counties.

• 7 months later...

Something is definitely stirring with this project.

From their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/olesouthusa

Ole South USA announcement the week of November 28th. Tell your friends and followers to get ready to JOIN THE CROWD.

They have definitely been flying under the radar with this project. It'll be interesting to see what they have in store for this announcement, but I will not get my hopes up just yet.

Edited by ernierocker