TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They only time Kemah has flooded was during tropical storm Allison in 2001 and they had the boardwalk back open in a few days. Everything built at the boardwalk has the possibility for flooding and hurricanes taken into account. During heavy rains there is flooding all over the Houston area due to the low elevation of the city so building it close to water doesn't really increase the chances for flooding all that much. In fact, the coastal areas usually have far less flooding problems than the inland areas during heavy rain / thunderstorms. AstroWorld flooded a few times...and it was nowhere near water.

I'm going to try and get a special permit/pass to get pictures of the track from within the structure. Need a hard hat with BB logo on it

There is no such thing as a "special permit/pass" to get into the construction area...it just isn't allowed. Good luck if you try.

No problem....I just hope they left a way to get to the station! I have yet to be able to figure out where the entrance will be.

Is there a low enough point for a walkway to go over the track?? (a la RCT) I know it seems highly improbable due to the fact that idiots come in every size, but is it a feasible option?

JJ

No problem....I just hope they left a way to get to the station! I have yet to be able to figure out where the entrance will be.

Is there a low enough point for a walkway to go over the track?? (a la RCT) I know it seems highly improbable due to the fact that idiots come in every size, but is it a feasible option?

JJ

It's hard to tell if there is anywhere to go over or under the track. There is so much wood in the area around the station it is getting harder and harder to make out what is what. An entire section of track has already disappeared from view forever (unless you are on the ride).

Lots of rain lately. Pushing the finish deadline futher and further back. Don't look for grand opening until late late summer, or back to school September-ish.

Where did you hear that from? A week of rain shouldn't change a possible opening date by 2 months.... Not to mention they don't work on Sundays and holidays anyways...and those are the 2 days where it has rained the most in the Kemah area.

I went down there myself tonight after dinner across the bridge. Arrived just as the fireworks show was ending. More spectacular than I've seen at some amusement parks. Every Friday at 9:30 thru July.

Seems the mystery regarding the path to the station is solved. Can't tell if it's wide enough for two-way traffic, so there may still be a separate entrance/exit access.

Unsuspecting riders on that path will be startled, to say the least, when a train at the bottom of the first drop passes either directly below or next to them. I can hear that tin roof over the walk way rattling already.

Thanks again for the photos Jason!

Had dinner at Saltgrass tonight...think I found the other path to/from the ride. See the photo below for part of the path. If you look carefully from Saltgrass you can see most of the path snake through under the ride towards the station. Weather wasn't the greatest for these photos as it was cloudy and raining.

I didn't get to see the fireworks show last night as I had to get up early today, but it is indeed a good show as I've seen it in the past. The 4th of July show is really good...probably about 3x as large as the Friday shows. Just expect limited parking and lots and lots of traffic on the way out. The first show of the year is usually pretty light, but I went to one of the later shows last year and it took me over an hour to get home (and I live 4 miles away).

Kemah-Construction-060207-2-TPR.jpg.8d7976cde048f8c7669f9e53f419f4da.jpg

View from a table at Saltgrass

Kemah-Construction-060207-4-TPR.jpg.04708b5b2e81f411a972d2fd6a118d97.jpg

Possible entrance or exit

You know, is it just me, or is Boardwalk Bullet going up significantly slower that Troy? I mean, yeah wheather might be an issue, but wouldn't it just be logical for a smaller coaster of less height to be going up faster? Anyway, BB looks amazing! My aunt and cousins live around Kemah, and next time we visit, I'll be sure to make a stop here. Looks great!

You know, is it just me, or is Boardwalk Bullet going up significantly slower that Troy? I mean, yeah wheather might be an issue, but wouldn't it just be logical for a smaller coaster of less height to be going up faster?

Huh???

There are many factors that go into how quickly a coaster can be installed. Size is one of them. It's cheaper to build a coaster slower because you don't have to pay for rush shipping on materials and you wind up having to rebuild less sections when you aren't rushing.

You know, is it just me, or is Boardwalk Bullet going up significantly slower that Troy? I mean, yeah wheather might be an issue, but wouldn't it just be logical for a smaller coaster of less height to be going up faster?

Huh???

There are many factors that go into how quickly a coaster can be installed. Size is one of them. It's cheaper to build a coaster slower because you don't have to pay for rush shipping on materials and you wind up having to rebuild less sections when you aren't rushing.

Even that look at the compact SPACE they have to work with!

I think there are a few reasons it is taking a while and the size is one of them.

1.)With the way it is all crammed in there to me it would seem more complicated than most wooden coasters to build and they are taking it a bit slower.

2.)Weather has defnitely been an issue, especially in January where they didn't get much done during the month due to the almost daily rain and the fact the construction area was one big mud pit. Now in the past couple weeks we've had almost daily rain in the area and construction has slowed. There have been a couple days where they haven't worked on it at all.

3.)Kemah Boardwalk is open all year...they aren't trying to meet a deadline to get a ride open for the "season". They aren't working extra hours or extra shifts on it. They pretty much work Monday-Saturday from 8-5.

We were out at the Boardwalk today and ate lunch at Saltgrass right next to those windows! I hadn't been out there in a few weeks. This ride looks incredible "in person"! The number of track crossovers is unbelievable! There are places where you can look deep into the structure and you realize there is track in there...the head-choppers are going to be so insane! The turns are really tight...it really reminded us of the whirlpool turns on the Rye Airplane. And the view of the lake from the top on the turn off the lift will be amazing!

I can't wait to ride!

-Derek

"Fly-bys" near entrances will be hazardous since something can be thrown at the coaster traveling 55 mph. I'm sure if it has any locations like that it will be protected by some sort of screen that will still let people see the coaster speed by. I'm looking for a grand opening day late summer/early fall.