TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Getting away with a POV...

TwistedTrack

Most parks really didn't have camera policies like they have today until about 2003. That's the year that I know there was quite a crack down on a lot of cameras. As cameras got smaller, it became more of an issue, and rules were created and more strictly enforced.

There isn't a video we have put on our YouTube channel where we didn't have consent to film or post it.

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most parks really didn't have camera policies like they have today until about 2003. That's the year that I know there was quite a crack down on a lot of cameras. As cameras got smaller, it became more of an issue, and rules were created and more strictly enforced.

There isn't a video we have put on our YouTube channel where we didn't have consent to film or post it.

Thank you very much Mr. Alvey for clearing that up. I thought the no camera rule was always enforced.

• 1 month later...

I have though of taking my own POVs, but really I see no point. The only thing I would use them for is views on YouTube. There are already tons of POVs of any coaster there already. Plus on top of that, I would be competing with professionally done POVs, like the ones Robb makes, or like the ones Coaster Force makes.

I I would be competing with professionally done POVs, like the ones Robb makes, or like the ones Coaster Force makes.

LOLing at your comment implying that CoasterForce does not make professionally done POVs!

#Correct!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a shark pack and I put my iPod in it to get a good pov. Another thing people are starting to do is use those glasses that have the hidden cameras on them. I'm going to buy one of those later tonight. You could also use a watch with a camera on it for filming. Also if you have an IPhone you can buy a Mivue and you put your iPhone in it and it clamps it Doww real good. You should also know that the Mivue is a harness that goes around your chest. It's hand free!

• 1 month later...

I got a problem here in the UK. I got all the bits (2 go pros w/ chest harness & wrist strap and of course duct tape) but they still wont let me film. I'm not sure if there are stricter policies to do with insurance etc. but I'd do anything other then pay alot extra to get a POV (preferably mounted). Any brits or people who have filmed in parks ran by merlin got any advice? I could really use it.

^ WTF??!?! You can't film at Merlin parks BECAUSE IT'S AGAINST THE RULES TO FILM!!!

My advice to you is don't post again asking people for "advice" when you know you've been told no. Another post like this and you'll be banned from TPR forever.

Let me make this perfectly clear - if a park says "No cameras allowed on a ride" you don't take your camera on the ride! How difficult is this to understand?

My advice to you is don't post again asking people for "advice" when you know you've been told no. Another post like this and you'll be banned from TPR forever.

I'm not sure if there are stricter policies to do with insurance etc.

Sorry Robb! I didnt know about some of these policies! I'll try not to be so silly next time.

^Not if there rule is 'no filming'. Some parks have a rule no cameras, some parks have a rule no filming or recording. It doesn't matter what object your camera is hidden in. If the rules say no filming, recording, videography, photography, etc. you can't bring it.

Out of curiosity, which smaller parks let you film?

Knoebel's.

Honestly, I don't keep a mental checklist of them because when we film we work with the parks so I don't have to worry about that.

I will say that I know more parks ARE starting to allow chest mounted GoPros and Pivothead glasses.

Edited by robbalvey

Out of curiosity, which smaller parks let you film?

Knoebel's.

Honestly, I don't keep a mental checklist of them because when we film we work with the parks so I don't have to worry about that.

I will say that I know more parks ARE starting to allow chest mounted GoPros and Pivothead glasses.

Nice! I hope Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks will soon allow secure cameras (chest mounted GoPros and glasses). Of course, I'm in Ohio, so Knoebels is probably feasible to go to.

CP was very strict about cameras on ride. I can see why... no need for you to film your own when you have Robb's fantastic HD ones

To be fair, Cedar Point supplies all the POVs we host on our site on DVDs. If the park can do a good enough job of supplying footage to us, I don't even need to shoot it myself!

• 1 month later...

I understand what has been said here, but what I'm wondering is, if you do get permission from the right people/authorities (for example, in your vids), or if its a smaller park/carnival that doesn't have rules on this sort of thing, how would you actually go about mounting the camera on the ride? Do you use a special mount, or put the camera on a certain place on the ride? Also, for gopros, is there any way to improve the audio quality with a special microphone or something, and if so, what mic do you recomend?

Not even small parks are going to let you attach something to a train without it being a very special circumstance so it's a moot point to even answer the question.

Edited by Moose

• 2 months later...
CP was very strict about cameras on ride. I can see why... no need for you to film your own when you have Robb's fantastic HD ones

To be fair, Cedar Point supplies all the POVs we host on our site on DVDs. If the park can do a good enough job of supplying footage to us, I don't even need to shoot it myself!

We remember that awesome I305 video you did, Robb... did they end up mounting that for you & allowing you to use their equipment, or was that a different case? Also, when you shoot a video, about how many laps do they normally allow you to take to ensure that you have enough good footage?

Thanks for your time and expertise!

We remember that awesome I305 video you did, Robb... did they end up mounting that for you & allowing you to use their equipment, or was that a different case?

In that specific case we provided services for their media day. We shot all the B-Roll and media rider cams for the Intimidator 305 Media Event.

Also, when you shoot a video, about how many laps do they normally allow you to take to ensure that you have enough good footage?

It depends on how much time I have! I've been in situations where I need to mount and dis-mount a camera after one ride and situations where the park gives us a coaster for 8 hours to film on.

If we have "unlimited" amount of time, I'll usually do about 5 to 10 takes on each camera, sometimes with different settings. For example the Gold Striker video we did, I had a couple of hours to shoot on that ride, so we did lots of different settings. The POV that ended up on the YouTube channel was shot in 1440 instead of 1080 and it looked fantastic!

We remember that awesome I305 video you did, Robb... did they end up mounting that for you & allowing you to use their equipment, or was that a different case?

In that specific case we provided services for their media day. We shot all the B-Roll and media rider cams for the Intimidator 305 Media Event.

Also, when you shoot a video, about how many laps do they normally allow you to take to ensure that you have enough good footage?

It depends on how much time I have! I've been in situations where I need to mount and dis-mount a camera after one ride and situations where the park gives us a coaster for 8 hours to film on.

If we have "unlimited" amount of time, I'll usually do about 5 to 10 takes on each camera, sometimes with different settings. For example the Gold Striker video we did, I had a couple of hours to shoot on that ride, so we did lots of different settings. The POV that ended up on the YouTube channel was shot in 1440 instead of 1080 and it looked fantastic!

Thanks for that insight. It is always great to hear the first-hand details about various setups. We know that you might have mentioned this somewhere else, Robb, but do you still use a GoPro 2? Or Go Pro 3? We are looking at possibly upgrading and picking up a good setup for coaster-riding and similar situations; would you happen to have camera and accessories recommendations? Thanks again for your time and expertise!