TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Saw Iron Man 3, yesterday.

First reaction - man, it was long! And it wasn't actually that long in time. Still...

Otherwise good stuff still in it. Wonder how Tony will re-design the suit

(if he does, of course) from how it 'was'.

And Pepper certainly got her front-and-centre moments. Paltrow/Pepper is definitely

a good foil for Tony/Downey Jr.

And I would say 8.5 out of 10.

Saw Star Trek yesterday, it was very predictable and hardly original. That said, it was thoroughly enjoyable and fun. Benedict Cumberbatch was an awesome villain but, just like Sir Ben Kingsley in Iron Man 3, I felt like he was underutilized. The ending makes me hopeful for the next film, but who knows when that will be with Mr. Abrams doing Star Wars.

I will be watching Fast & Furious 6 and The Hangover Part III tonight. But that said, I did watch STAR TREK last weekend and I really loved it. Benedict played an amazing villain and The movie was very fun and enjoyable. I have never seen the original movies but Abrams did a very well job with these last two movies.

Caught Star Trek: Into Darkness last weekend and thought it was just OK. Too much copying and pasting from other Star Trek movies and TV episodes. I also thought the villain had all the charisma of a bag of frozen green beans.

So over them weekend I saw a lot of movies:

FAST AND FURIOUS 6: It was really good, the action is nonstop and it picks up right where it left off, I'm a pretty big fan of the series and this was just a huge hit, I loved it especially with all the comedy within the movie. Now I don't really like plot twists but this was an exception since the twist was more like a twist within a twist which I thought was clever. I really liked it.

Overall Grade: A

THE HANGOVER PART III: I still can't get over how un-funny this movie was, to me it felt more like a drama and the story focused mainly on Chow than their original Wolfpack. The first one will always remain my favorite and the best at least IMO. The final two movies were just dog gone awful, and I'm kind of glad the trilogy is finally over.

Overall Grade: C-

And I finally saw

MONSTER'S INC.: The only Pixar film I had not seen and I really liked it! It was clever, smart and had charm as is an perfect example of what Pixar's work can truly be. It was. also pretty funny and ,enjoyable.

Overall Grade: A solid A

UP NEXT IN THE LINEUP:

Now You See Me.

I personally really liked Hangover Part 3. Sure it wasn't quite as off the wall as the original. But it did take it's time to show some heart for the characters we have grown to love. I like how everything was tied together and came full circle. Also, the scene during the credits was quite possibly the funniest moment of all 3 films. I was in tears having trouble breathing I was laughing so hard.

Hitchcock

Great movie about Albert Hitchcock's life around the time period he was making Psycho with a lot of cool bits about the making of the movie and his relationship with his wife. Anthony Hopkins was PERFECT as Hitchcock. I kind of wish it would have been more of a full-fledged biography but concentrating the movie on that time period still did reveal a lot about him. Definitely recommended if you are a fan of Hitchcock or Psycho.

Saw EPIC today.

And it was more than slapstick and funny characters.

A good story about being true to yourself.

The forest shots were amazing, lush and in so many

shades of green, I lost count. The ones with water.

too were lovely. I love animation like this. And the

soundtrack was lush as much as what was onscreen.

8/10

^^Hitchcock was excellent, I missed it in theatres but ended up seeing it on a plane.

Saw The Croods yesterday. Standard kiddie fare, kind of disappointing to be honest - the story was all over the shop in the second half, and all of the jokes are in the trailer.

If you're like me and don't mind escapist nonsense, Now You See Me is worth a look. Great cast (Woody Harrelson is superb), interesting story and a few definite WTF moments. The ending is a bit ridiculous but still a very fun film.

Caught a couple movies at the drive-in last night.

The Purge: Sigh. I really wanted to like this. The concept had solid potential, but it's all squandered in a home-invasion movie that essentially had nothing to do with the titular event. As such, despite the awful amount of deus ex machina (the answer to everybody's problems appearing out of nowhere), all the twists were easily predictable, and the conclusion was really unsatisfying. I thought the film was well-shot and decently acted, but there was just so much frustrating stuff that the movie wasn't all that enjoyable to me. I'd pass.

The Hangover, Part III: I don't know how to explain why, but I really enjoyed this movie. However, I've never seen any of the other Hangover movies, so take that as you will. A lot of the criticism I see has to do with it not living up to the legacy of the first film, or that it completely changed the tone of the series in a negative way, but having no reference point, I liked it for what it was. It was fun, over-the-top, not reliant on gross-out humor like the second apparently is (aside from the opening animal scene.. that was just dumb), and on the whole, I enjoyed it. I'm the only person in my group of 7 that feels this way, but still.

Iron Man 3: I loved the movie. Although I was disappointed by the ending and the Mandarin twist.(mostly because he would have been a different type of villain than the other movies.A villain that didn't want personal revenge/armored villains) Still the acting was amazing Robert Downey Jr. is spot on as always, rest of cast did there roles just perfectly, SFX/action was awesome, and pacing was spot on. The post credits scene was just okay. It really didn't hint at future films,but did it's job to be funny. Iron Man still is my favorite of series because it blew me away when I first saw it,had the best villain of the series,and started the Marvel Cinematic Universe when Nick Fury appeared at the end. 8/10

Epic: I wasn't really expecting much when I first went to see this, as it just looked like another generic animated film good for kids and has a message for adults. However it was very good,but pretty average for an animated movie. The animation is great due to the fact it is BlueSky Studios,and is a huge step up from the crap that was Ice Age 4. Overall it has an average/generic plot, but the film is still good. 6.5/10

Fast & Furious 6: This movie was awesome! The action/stunts were spectacular with little to no CGI. The twists were predictable,but shocking.Plot is generic,but really delivers to a movie like this. Not much more I can say,but this movie was awesome.

Oh,and stay a little bit after the movie ends.There's a scene that sets up the next movie with a crazy cameo. 8/10

Edited by ahhculdee

^ I thought the ending to Fast 6 was CRAZY, everyone in my theatre ended up saying "OH S*!T" and it really ties together, all I can say is Fast 7 will be pretty epic.

Yeah Tokyo Drift makes a whole lot of sense now,and with JS (Not trying to ruin it for anybody that hasn't seen it) as the villain for next movie, things are going to get CRAZY!

Finally saw Django Unchained. It was easily my favorite Tarentino film (but this is coming from someone who doesn't really love Tarentino). It worked at a great pace and never left me bored. Leo was outstanding as the villain and Sam Jackson was such a d!ck.

It's funny. I read Will Smith passed on the title role because he thought the violence and language would negatively effect his image and career. In unrelated news, After Earth is on track to be one of the biggest flops of all time.

I had the pleasure of attending the Canadian premiere of Man Of Steel last night and came away pretty happy. If you have been waiting for a Superman movie to feature lots of epic and relentless action then you will also walk away from this movie happy. My only advice for those who are going to watch it...don't waste your money on the 3D showings as I barely noticed it if at all.

Hopefully the sequel ( which has already been greenlit) will feature a villian other than Lex Luthor.... maybe Brainiac and save Doomsday for the 3rd one.

^ I rarely want to see action hero movies but this new Superman movie actually looks really good. I will be giving it a shot and this is coming from someone who has not seen any of the recent Iron Man, Avengers, or Batman movies.

I saw a preview of The Heat last night and I will admit its really funny. Melissa McCarthy is simply hilarious in it and the chemistry between her and Sandra is awesome. Why it took Melissa so long to break into the scene is beyond me. She was one of the best parts of Bridesmaids and was extremely funny in Identity Thief. Some of the scenes could have been toned down just a tad but I see why the audience thought these were funny scenes. I like one liners and there are lots of them in this movie.

I had the pleasure of attending the Canadian premiere of Man Of Steel last night and came away pretty happy. If you have been waiting for a Superman movie to feature lots of epic and relentless action then you will also walk away from this movie happy. My only advice for those who are going to watch it...don't waste your money on the 3D showings as I barely noticed it if at all.

Hopefully the sequel ( which has already been greenlit) will feature a villian other than Lex Luthor.... maybe Brainiac and save Doomsday for the 3rd one.

Got my tickets for 7:00 PM showing tonight,and this one looks really good.

Just saw Superman tonight. I thought it was good and full of action. I think it's more like the Batman remakes, in that it's a lot darker with a ton more action than all the other ones.

Just saw Superman tonight. I thought it was good and full of action. I think it's more like the Batman remakes, in that it's a lot darker with a ton more action than all the other ones.

The Batman remakes were too dark & gritty and didn't have enough action. This was definately the Superman movie we were waiting for, although my only complaint is that they have a post-credits scene and Lois Lane. My full thoughts are on my Youtube review:

Edited by ahhculdee

"Now You See Me"

We were happily surprised how good we thought it was, after some of

the more negative press had been read before seeing it. It had fun

moments and some actual (we thought) witty dialogue to help lighten

things up, where needed.

And it was pretty cool, that it "looked" as 3D as it did, even though the

film is in 2D.

The illusions were spectacular to say the least, and explained away in

some pretty nifty ways. Damn, I love Las Vegas-style illusions!

And of course, a couple of twists along the way made for a good surprise

here and there.

8/10

Just came back from Man of Steel. It is a great film with a ton of action, but I had some issues with the story at some points. It seemed to jump from point to point without much warning at all. That was my only major problem. General Zod was a great villain and had a true motive for doing what he did. I recommend seeing it.