TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I know Canada's Wonderland doesn't have any large woodies but I've always like Wildabeaste, even more then Minebuster. I'm definitely a fan of the variety of flat rides in the park. I haven't gone this year but I've heard nothing about any new investment for next year, but I'm hoping something will be announced. Wishful thinking but I hope they can fit another coaster in somewhere.

^ You must have quite the tolerance for pain if you like Wild Beast...that easily ranks as one my top five all time worst coaster experiences ever!

Having said that, I agree that it would be great if CW could get a nice woodie. While an Intamin pre-fab would be awesome for the park, a Prowler-like clone would seem more reasonable.

I remember back in high school, when drop zone was the brand new ride. I organized a field trip for a student club I was part of. I managed to get in touch with the chief engineer for the park, and he took us on a tour of everything behind the scenes. He said the park has never allowed such a tour before and we should be proud because with the way it turned out, the park began considering a project of doing these tours for educational reasons. We went inside the mountain and saw the control room for Thunder Run, same for Drop Zone (the comparison between the ages of the computers was astonishing), got shown how the lift hills work, and even got a reserved seating on the Drop Zone, bypassing the what once used to be an insane queue. Ah the good old days.

I'm going to Canada's Wonderland in a couple of weeks and while the wooden coaster sounds nice (especially a GCI), I honestly think that a B&M Floorless would be a better fit at the park. Granted a GCI would be a lot cheaper. But a B&M looks like a better fit because several of their steel loopers look like they provide a rough ride, while the Mighty Canadian Minebuster and Wilde Beast don't look all that bad; however, I can give a full opinion after visiting the park.

http://www.canadaswonderland.com/jobs/jobs_description.cfm?emp_id=1903

So I've been watching the job posting on Canada's Wonderland very closely for a while now, and ware house receiver popped up in late May and just this week most likely today this job posting for a specific technician/ ride engineer popped up.

Interesting requirements of working up to 106meters and must have easy problem solving skills to finish deadlines on time.

Also this is exactly what happened before Behemoths construction in 2007

But a B&M looks like a better fit because several of their steel loopers look like they provide a rough ride, while the Mighty Canadian Minebuster and Wilde Beast don't look all that bad...

Wonderland's wooden coasters are actually some of the roughest and worst I have ever ridden.

For those of you critical of the coasters in the park, whether it be the size of them, that a fair portion of them are clones, and whatnot, keep in mind that when the park was built and right up till just a few years ago management has had a very weak dollar working against them. Throughout the 80s and 90s the Canadian dollar was worth in the 60 to 70 cent range to the American dollar, and that hindered what they can invest in the park, especially with a very limited seasonal schedule due to our colder weather. I think given the circumstances the park has done fairly well, and will continue to do well.

I visited the park this past week (20th) and had a great time! Ran into a fellow TPR-er and even another ACE member. I found the wooden coasters to be enjoyable (even if rough), and the Behemoth gave me 11 or so excellent rides. Lines were surprisingly short for a good-weather Sunday, even the Behemoth was 20 min max wait. If there is an enthusiast event this year, I would certainly be looking into going!

Just found an interesting fact from the meeting CWMania admin had with park relations before Behemoth opened. The one about alternative names were considered but cannot be discussed due to the fact they might be used for future attractions.

DantheMan wrote:Once again I was invited to take part in a tour of the Behemoth contruction site today (along with coasterboy), so that I could keep the CWMania members abreast of Behemoth development.

We met with Dineen Beaven and Brent Ellis again, this time in Brent's office to go over a list of questions compiled by all of our CWManiacs. Some of the highlights of the conversation:

* The question everyone has been waiting for the answer to: the Drop Angle...initially in the planning stages of Behemoth, the first drop was to be 85 degrees. At some point this was changed to 75 degrees and due to the sheer number of agencies and persons involved in the project the data did not get corrected before the Behemoth website was launched. The delay in changing the data was due to needing confirmation from the appropriate parties. It is not expected that the change in drop angle will affect the public's perception of the ride.

* There will be a test seat available at the ride entrance as well as an employee to assist guests in properly using the device

* Spotlighting will be used to light up the ride structure at night. In addition, the lift hill will be illuminated by a set of chaser LED lights

* The supports of the ride are not and will not be filled with sand

* The queue area will be covered by 4 large sails designed to shade guests from the hot afternoon sun. A mist-fan system has been proposed and is likely to be added. Vending machines will be conveniently located in the centre of the queue

* The new midway will be finished with interlocking paving stones, similar to those used throughout the park and the queue area is a concrete slab

* The entrance to Behemoth will be highlighted by 8 individual letters spelling Behemoth, each 8 ft high, and suspended 15 ft in the air, located in a semi-circle near the queue line

* The round element on the midway is a proposed medallion design of interlocking paving stones in front of the Behemoth sign

* The ride exit will lead guests through the the photo booth / gift shop as they return to the midway, but guests can also bypass the building

* The necessity for trims and G-forces of the ride will be solidified after testing has been completed

* The ride will have an on-ride photo system (the location of the camera is yet to be determined) but there will definitely not be an on-ride video system

* As mentioned before, the first train is set to arrive on March 1st and the others are expected to follow in mid-March. Testing will begin when the trains have been mounted on the track and the weather is co-operative. A pull-through will be done before the train is allowed to travel of its own power to ensure proper clearance at all points throughout the ride.

* Grouting is being completed on each of the structure's footers and is around 45% complete. This process involves inserting concrete in between each of the concrete piers and the bottom of the supports and letting it cure. Due to extremely cold termperatures we have been experiencing, heaters and enclosures are being used on the larger footers to ensure proper curing.

* Rough portions of track have been sanded and smoothed out over the past few weeks

* Alternative names were considered for Behemoth but cannot be disclosed as they may be used for future attractions

* A Point of View video will be added to the Wonderland website later this year

* Marketing will focus on Behemoth this year and will be heavier on the television side with a large commercial shoot occuring in May and airing starting in June

http://www.canadaswonderland.com/jobs/jobs_description.cfm?emp_id=1903

So I've been watching the job posting on Canada's Wonderland very closely for a while now, and ware house receiver popped up in late May and just this week most likely today this job posting for a specific technician/ ride engineer popped up.

Interesting requirements of working up to 106meters and must have easy problem solving skills to finish deadlines on time.

Also this is exactly what happened before Behemoths construction in 2007

That is interesting, 106 meters is 326 feet i think?.

maybe the 2011 coaster (if a coaster) will be that high, i doubt it. I think it is something to do with the 2011 project!.

But it is so much like behemoth in 2007

The same job posting details were up either last year or the year previous. It seems to be a standard height they put on those job applications, at least for Canada's Wonderland. Stopped by the park today for Behemoth ERT and Splash Works. Had a GREAT time. Nothing new around Vortex. Just the same red-tipped stakes in and around the pond. And the Behemoth event will be great from the rumblings I've heard. Definitely something to look forward to. Hopefully it will be well attended to ensure this type of event continues in the future.

I only go to the park now if I get a free ticket. Last time I was there was last year's Math and Physics day as a volunteer (free entry that day and a ticket for another day).

I hate going on weekends and dealing with crowds and I'm not paying full price to go for a few hours after work.

Canada's Wonderland needs a Starlight ticket, and I'm pretty sure if they offered one, people would actually use it.

I've also never been to their Haunt event because I will not pay a separate price to re-enter the park after dark. If CF's flagship park can offer a free Halloween event, then I can't see why their most attended seasonal park can't do the same.

I've also never been to their Haunt event because I will not pay a separate price to re-enter the park after dark. If CF's flagship park can offer a free Halloween event, then I can't see why their most attended seasonal park can't do the same.

That's a good question to ask. Too bad if you go to the park within a few weeks of the Haunt event you won't be able to go a number of the rides because they will be closed down to prep for the Haunt (Thunder Run and bumper cars are just a few).

Because Canada's Wonderland makes a KILLING off charging separate admission for the Haunt. Why give it away free when people will pay for it? Many major parks charge extra for Halloween events. You also have to remember Paramount actually started the Haunt an an upcharge event. Why would CF make it free if the cash is rolling in? Someone has to pay for Cedar Point's big attractions...

We had an amazing visit over this weekend, considering it was a long weekend. We headed up for Season Pass ERT on Friday morning, and got 6 rides on Behemoth, 2 laps on the newly re-programmed Backlot Coaster** and a ride on Sledgehammer before the park opened. Then we got on Minebuster, and a good 2 hours of waterpark time sans-crowds and had a total blast.

There's always a way to have a great time at the busiest of parks!

** Backlot Stunt coaster no longer comes to a complete stop in the Helicopter "Scene" area anymore. It slows down, while the helicopter shoots at you and the audio plays, but the Lim's launch the train without stopping, and there are no more water or fire effects. I actually thought that not stopping there made the ride more fun, even if it does go against how the ride was created to be.

Could be anything. As much as I want to see new rides brought into the park, I think it's too soon after Behemoth to introduce any major addition. It could easily be new cars for an existing coaster, or something to do with Splash Works. Hope I am wrong.

Ye but along with them tearing the dolphin theater down and a bunch of stakes around that area is just too big of a clue for whats to come. Also look at this...

Canada's Wonderland Find the Flag Contest

There’s something sneaky going on at Canada’s Wonderland! Meteorologist Anthony Farnell is hiding the Global Toronto flag throughout the amusement park, and it’s YOUR job to find it!

If you do, you could win the ultimate Canada’s Wonderland VIP experience for four!

Spot the flag at Canada's Wonderland and tell us where you saw it!

Be sure to tune into the News Hour at 6pm every Friday from July 2nd to August 27th when Anthony reveals where he’s hidden the flag.

Application: http://www.globaltoronto.com/contests/f ... story.html

Contest Rules and Regulations: http://www.globaltoronto.com/contests/e ... story.html

Just curious, but what is the best plan for hitting the rides at Canada's Wonderland? I'm going next Tuesday and have heard to expect large waits during the middle of the day. I am probably getting there at 10:00-10:30.

So, if I get there at opening, what is the best order to do the park in? While I want to do Behemoth first, I have a feeling that everyone heads there first and that it has a high capacity. I'm thinking of hitting Flight Deck, Time Warp, Dragon Fire, Bat, Fly, Thunder Run, Vortex in that order. Is that a good plan to avoid long waits? Also, do lines die down by the end of the day so that several coasters are essentially walk-ons?

Just curious, but what is the best plan for hitting the rides at Canada's Wonderland? I'm going next Tuesday and have heard to expect large waits during the middle of the day. I am probably getting there at 10:00-10:30.

So, if I get there at opening, what is the best order to do the park in? While I want to do Behemoth first, I have a feeling that everyone heads there first and that it has a high capacity. I'm thinking of hitting Flight Deck, Time Warp, Dragon Fire, Bat, Fly, Thunder Run, Vortex in that order. Is that a good plan to avoid long waits? Also, do lines die down by the end of the day so that several coasters are essentially walk-ons?

Not a bad plan. Thunder Run and The Bat usually have long wait times no matter what time of day, mostly due to the single trains being used. When I go, my ideal plan is to go clockwise. I don't remember the post-Paramount names of the rides so forgive me, I start with Top Gun, then Tomb Raider if I feel like it (not too thrilled with that one), Sledgehammer and Psyclone, then Behemoth (the queue goes through pretty quickly so don't be down if you see lots of people there), Italian Job, Minebuster, Sky Rider (if I feel like it), Vortex (my favourite in the park), Shockwave, Wildabeaste, Nightmare, Dragon Fyre (there's never a line on that ride), and whatever else I fit in.

Thanks. So the clockwise plan sounds pretty good.

During the day, I do want to get all of the credits excluding Taxi Jam (I do enjoy credits, but I have my limits), but that seems like a strong plan that gets several of the coasters out of the way.

You mentioned the Bat and Thunder Run only having one train operations. Because of that, I'm considering just getting those two out of the way first so that I don't have to endure 30-60 minute waits for a coaster that is clearly not worth it.

Thanks. OK. I think I will go in and hit Thunder Run, Bat, Fly, Vortex and then go through the Action Zone starting with Flight Deck. That way I get on Behemoth in the morning as well as the afternoon!

I'm not shocked about Time Warp's capacity. I've been on Rye Playland's Volare. I actually really enjoyed it, but I saw that if it were at a busier park, it could have a long wait.