TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kingda Ka Closed for Maintenance

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster are both great rides. But I think the best choice in purchasing a launched coaster would be something like Xcelerator at Knotts Berry Farm.

*I know Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka break down quite often but what's usually wrong with them? What is the major problem with these two ocasters that always casue them to break down?

Kingda Ka has had outstanding reliability this season. This was scheduled so I don't see what the big deal is.

And last night for the entire time I was with my son in Balin's Jungleland and every time I looked in it's direction during the evening it was launching train after train with 4 train op's.

Its not worth comparing the 2 any longer. They both have their share of hicups and oddities.

^ When i was there on the July 24th-25th, it broke down 6 times while I was in line. Two times were rollbacks but the rollbacks were only two trains apart so they had to go see what was wrong and then it was open again. So right there, one time in line, it was closed three times. Another time they weren't letting people in line becuase it was having, "minor technical difficiulties". The next two breakdowns I witnessed were bringing the train out into launch position and the train not launching.

(This all took place while being in line 3 times.)

I have only witnessed four in line breakdowns for the 10 rides I've had on Kingda ka

BTW I like TTD over Kingda Ka anyday so I'm not bashing TTD or something, just saying I think Kingda Ka now is more reliable than TTD.

Kingda Ka is open again and running better than ever.

On the other note, Top Thrill Dragster's computer is not quite up to date with Kingda Ka's, and I've noticed that every time a train rolls back, they have to completely reset the system. Is a rollback really a breakdown?...

You do not have to completely reset the system, you retract the Acceleration Brakes until it rolls back to Transfer Block, then push Auto Start and it goes right from there, no resetting of the entire computer, the rides goes in and out of Auto Mode all day long, so pushing Auto Start is not really Resetting anything.

Well, there's a 99.9% guarantee that Dragster will break down every day, at least once, due to rollback. KK, not so much because it was designed to not roll back.

^I disagree. Both rides are open a good amount of time in ratio to their down time. I was just back at SFGAdv and the whole day, Kingda Ka did not break down. The thing that gets me though, is that KK's breakdowns are so bad that the ride is down for days at a time. Dragster's breakdowns only last, maybe 1 hour, or less.

When I went to CP, TTD had 1 breakdown the entire 2 days. On KK, they reset the computers probably 15 times, they sent around 10 trains total out, only to have them come back in. Including ours. We went out to the launch track then they took us back, and we sat in the train for 30 minutes...

Anyways, this isnt a TTD vs. KK thread. He was just telling everyone that it was down for maintinence...