TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video Of Almost deadly accident at Efteling...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah good thing Vekoma doesn't have airtime!

If the they wouldn't had the brains to close ther restaints they would fly out in the turn after the second loop.

Efteling did not give any reaction at all so far, just like they didn't last year when a upstopwheel of the same coaster felt off.

Um, that's not good. Hats off to centrifugal force though.

Centripedal acceleration. There is no such thing as centrifugal force as you define it. It is simply a normal force exerted due to centripedal acceleration.

EDIT: Wow, what the heck happened? Were they evacuating the ride when this happened, or did the restraints just pop open? Definately not good.

There is nobody in the back. They started to get people out from the back first...

Wouldn't it make cense to get people out of the front first? That way the train probably would have stayed on the lift because of the weight of the people in back, right?

I would asume that unless it's a much older train (which some said it wasn't?) the pedal to unlock the car would have to be held down with force to keep it unlocked. And the lift motor started up again, it wouldn't matter where people were sitting on the train, it was going over no matter what.

There's a reson you switch OFF the power when doing an evac.

There is nobody in the back. They started to get people out from the back first...

Wouldn't it make cense to get people out of the front first? That way the train probably would have stayed on the lift because of the weight of the people in back, right?

Yes, thats what I was thinking about while watching the video.

Pretty frightening stuff though.

For the few roller coasters I trained on and operated, it was always policy to evac the lift from the back to the front, doing one car at a time. Meaning unload the last car and walk them down with one op in front and one op in back. Then go back up and repeat. I was always told this is to keep the passengers on board calm as they wouldnt have to see people getting off before them and walking past them.

As someone mentioned, it seems like the lift started back up, but I'm not certain that was the case. On the Arrow Dynamics coaster I operated, which is very similar to some Vekoma rides, we had a policy to not stop the train on the lift once it got past a certain point. The logic, as I think is illustrated in the video, is that center of gravity could shift bringing the train all the way over the lift. Granted we dont know the circumstances of the evac and park policy, but I'd assume it was a last resort to evac n such a precarious position. At minimum the wheels near the front should have been chalked some how. Honestly, I was more worried for the employees on the lift than the people on the train as they were less likely to fall out as the others were to fall off the stairs.

All that said, this probably wasnt a "block set-up" because if that happens the train parks itself near the top of the lift, but not at a point where the first car has started to go over the crown. We never hear the lift motor, we just hear the anti-rollbacks.

Definitely a lift stop right at the crest point. Very stupid and unsafe actions on behalf of the evacuation crew there... though they probably just mindlessly followed policy.

For everyone in the train it should've been fine, but that's incredibly dangerous for anyone in the process of getting out, or helping people out. I imagine a LOT of policies will be changed at the park, and all operations people involved will be finding other jobs. At least, I sure hope so.

From what I read on another forum where one of the persons was in the ride:

-It seems the ride stopped at the top due to a malfunction.

-staff decided to evacuate.

-they didn't block/secure the cars

-they opened the harnesses

-started evacuating people from the back.

-due to a difference in weight now, the train started to roll.

-one person (in the front) who was just getting up to leave the train had to sit back down, and pull the harness down again.

-the staff-member could jump off at the last second.

pfew.... human error with almost some nasty accident.

Weird accident. People here on the forum are already reasoning that the wheels should have been blocked and that the evacuation should occur from the front to the back seats, not the other way around.

This should have been just a minor malfunction, but due to some operators that lost their brains it turned into a near fatal accident.

due to a difference in weight now, the train started to roll.

That must be the main cause this happened.

I'm glad everyone came out more of less safely.

Many years ago, my friend and I rode Tornado (a Vekoma corkscrew so similar to Python) in Walibi Belgium with our harnesses not clicked. I must have been about 15 years old or something and although we yelled and opened our harness on the lifthill, the ride was not stopped so we closed the harness again and held on tight and rode Tornado. Due to the whatever forces, we took the corkscrews without any problem and arrived safely back in the station.

Luckily this did not happen on a coaster with air- or hangtime.

I tried to run the video but it says " This video has been removed", can someone post another copy of it so I can watch it.

I went on this last year, the trains are of a weird design but it rode fine with the OHR being locked into place.

I always check the OHR and belts to make sure they are secure, if not I will tell an Ops and they can sort the problem out.

I would not want to ride a coaster like "Vortex" with the OHR not locked in place, it would be another "Final Destination 3"