TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Elissa's Random Thought of the Day!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the fact that there's a Publix on almost every street corner is reason enough to come to or stay in Florida. I just recently discovered that they had a British candy section.

On the other hand, I did have some bad experiences on the Florida Turnpike this past weekend (besides the $20 in tolls), but I'm sure that it's nothing compared to what happens in California

12/22/09 - Florida vs. California

Wow, it's so hard to explain and there are so many tiny examples just from our random outings today...Floridians are just so much more polite and nice than Californians.

Must be Northern and Central Florida. It's "back to the bass" in South Florida. I'm still not over the time this lady in a SUV was all up on the bumper of my coworker's car just so he would have to take another parking spot when he made the turn too wide and tried to back up... and he had handicap plates on the car!

I took care of it though. I guess homegirl didn't feel like spending her lunch in the emergency ward.

Terry

^I totally feel that Miami is the Los Angeles of Florida. I really hate Miami and we've always had a 'sketchy' situation or time when we've been there.

The West Coast of Florida and Central Florida seem to be the nicest. Panhandle Florida scares me!

Maybe for southern California that's true, but I absolutely love northern California and the Bay area and wouldn't dream of moving back to Orlando after living here for a little over 2 years.

I tend to construe politeness as nosiness though, I think.

I find that no matter where you live, there are going to be rude people. I can't tell you how many times I would hold the door for someone and not get a "thank you" out of it. I've gotten to the point where I just yell "you're welcome" just so I could feel better about my good deed. I have been in crowded stores trying to get through, and I say "excuse me" about ten times before the stupid person decides to move. I would give anything to hear a "thank you", "excuse me" or even "you're welcome".

I can't tell you how many times I would hold the door for someone and not get a "thank you" out of it. I've gotten to the point where I just yell "you're welcome" just so I could feel better about my good deed.

Personally I feel like yelling "you're welcome" is just as much of a dick move as that person not being appreciative, and if you're only holding the door open and yelling at them to feel better about yourself, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Do it to be courteous to others, not just to give yourself an ego trip. If they don't, move on and be quiet. You don't need to try to prove to the world that you are the better person

I think you're going to find good and bad people everywhere you go. One place isn't much better than another. Like Joey, I've been in Southern California my whole life and have seen some wonderful people, and some not-so-wonderful ones. When dealing with the latter, my sense of humor just kicks in and I end up getting a laugh out of it.

That just might explain why my blood pressure is on the low side despite some issues that would normally raise it.

Stupid people = free entertainment.

Eric

I say it in a more sarcastic tone, it's not technically yelling. I guess I should have phrased it better.

Really, I am not a jerk about it and I'm not trying to be a jerk.

Ok going back a second time and reading my post, I really should have phrased it differently! I take responsibility on that one.

I gotta say I agree. Spent the first 30 years of my life as a Californian (born and raised). Now, after living in Florida for 3 years, love the slower pace, lack of traffic (slowing down to 20 mph in downtown Orlando rush hour is NOTHING compared to LA), and the generally 'nicer' population. Still consider myself a Californian; but, don't really miss it.

Maybe it's just because I've been in So Cal my whole life...but all the horrible people don't really bother me that much anymore. I'm probably just so acustomed them, for the most part I tune them out without even thinking about it. But I know they exist almost everywhere in So Cal.

I've lived in SoCal my whole life and I don't have the same feelings as you about the horrible people. If anything, I hate them MORE as I get older. Maybe it's just me?

I also noticed that when I moved away from "The Valley" after living there for 27 years and moved up to where people are indeed nicer, I HATE leaving Ventura county most of the time. That may have more to do with it than anything.

We've been planning a move to FL for a few years, but family things have kept us from doing so. Our goal was to move before our daughter started HS ... that's not going to happen (since she starts HS in September). So it looks like were stuck in CA for at least another 6 years. (until the youngest is out of HS).

12/29/09 - I officially feel old.

So I was looking through a ton of random catalogs here at my parents house today (since my mom is pretty much on every mailing list known to man) and I ran across one called "Back to Basics Toys".

It's a toy catalog with a ton of awesome toys from yesterday and today. It's sad that all the old toys seemed so much better to me than the newer ones. It's also weird seeing rotary toy phones and etch a sketch's listed as 'classic'.

Anyway, it's worth a look if you want to feel nostalgic... www.backtobasicstoys.com

^^As a 90's kid you may appreciate that they had 'Creepy Crawlers'...those commercials were awesome and I always wanted those buy my parents said it was too messy.

They were kind of like the boy equivalent of the Easy Bake Oven!

I remember when Creepy Crawlers were all the rage! My brother wanted one for Christmas, and so did his best friend. So my mom, and the mom of my brother's friend got together and searched high and low for these stupid machines. Yes, they did find them, and made those stupid gummy things to scare the crap out of me! However, it was a lot of fun to make them! I remember the weird smell they would have after you're done cooking them.

Elissa, you're mom was right, they are very messy.

I just *barely* had Creepy Crawlers. I was a kid during the small two year window where Mattel was trying to revive the product line after the original was deemed "unsafe" with the "Creepy Crawlers Thingmaker II" which didn't go over so well and then the toy was shelved until the early 90s when ToyMax bought the rights from Mattel.

I loved it! I remember being so disappointed when I was told you could no longer get goop for it.

--Robb

thingmaker2.jpg.9406ffba3e76c103d92676bf9fc6280d.jpg

The very short lived Thingmaker II.