TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Height Limit Horror Story

Hey chums!

Long-time reader, first-time poster--love the site and the discussions.

I wanted to vent a little story to see if anyone else out there has shared the same humiliation I went through.

Two years ago, my friends and I went to Six Flags New England. It was my first trip there, and as a huge coaster enthusiast there was one super-awesome steel machine that I was very hyped about riding.

But we had to build up to it. So I did my penance with Vekoma, enjoyed the short and sweet B&M, and then hopped in line for a 90 minute wait to Superman.

Now, a few points for clarification. I am exactly 76.25" inches (6'4" for the less OCD out there). And to be fair, I did see the posted signs stating the height limit as 76". But in my defense: I had ridden the Superman clone at Six Flags America the summer before, and I did so with no problem whatever. And since I did not get stopped by the ride op guarding the front of the line--a man who I remember clearly making eye contact with--I thought I was all good.

Wrong!

90 minutes of anticipation later, I'm at the front of the line when here comes little Miss Rainstorm came storming over with all sorts of No to tell me. She told me I was far too tall. And before I had a chance to defend myself--and here's the worst part--she brought out the Stick!

Yes, right next to the Your-Too-Short Stick was the even more embarrassing You're-Too-Tall Stick!

As I live and breath, I tell you, I was "too tall" only by my hair. And I have short hair! But that was enough for her; that little She-Beast got incredibly defensive, stating loudly that I would have to remove myself from the line immediately... or else!

Now I promise you I am one of the nicest people you will meet. And I will never pick a fight. Plus, at this moment, my friends and I were too mortified to move.

Actually, that's wrong. My friends turned and gave me a sort of "boo-hoo" look but then immediately pressed on to board their train to Glory-Town.

And I so I left humiliated. I swallowed my pride and left the line without resistance. But it hurt. It hurt like whoa. I was mad. I felt like I want to throw something cute against a wall, just to inflict pain. I swear, this is why people club baby seals.

So tell me, is there any justice out there? I don't want to sound like a whiney-pants--keep in mind it has taken me this long to admit publicly that I am Too Tall for Superman--but perhaps others can share their own stories?

I'd be curious to hear.

Cheers,

Ben[/i]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years ago, my friends and I went to Six Flags New England.................................. But in my defense: I had ridden the Superman clone at Six Flags America the summer before, and I did so with no problem whatever.

Wrong. The superman at SFNE has no clone. The cloned Supermans are at SFA and SFDL.

On your story though, all I can say is that REALLY sucks. I probably would have asked to see a manager or something, especially after waiting so long and only being a hair too tall.

-Justin "Glad he is short for once" Seabaugh

Would you let someone ride if they were .25" too short?

I hope not.

While it sucks, they're just doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Sorry about the experience though....

.25? I doubt it. But someone allowed ME to go on when that happened for me... I was like a few centimeters off,well, below 54'...

I've been on both the guest and ride operator side of the agruement--and I'm sorry to hear your dissapointment, but height limits are there for a reason. The park isn't trying to damper your visit!

I understand that a quarter of an inch is just the slightest bit above the limit, but honestly, where do you draw the line if you dont use the line given!? The height limits are in most cases set by the manufactuerer to ensure the body is compatible with the restraint system. Since this ride definately has a history of problems with the restraints, I cant say I really blame them for strictly enforcing the rules.

I'm sorry you felt like you were being singled out, and if she was over-public with your situation than shame on her. But what they were doing wasn't otherwise out-of-line.

-Jahan

I think you get the point, but I also agree. As a cast member at DCA I constantly send people away from the cable slides at The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. Even though I know kids outside the height restriction could ride it without any problems, I still enforce the rules...thats my responsibility. To not observe the rules would be saying that I don't care about my job or the company.

Both!

Alright there campers, are you ready for an adventure? Well then hike on over to the Disneyland Resort and Disney's California Adventure to experience the Redwood forest like you've never seen before in the Redwood Challenge Trail! Dare to climb nature's rock-walls, save the forest from fire as a smoke jumper, take a tumble down giant tree trunks, find the animal spirit in you, join the Magic of Brother Bear, and more! Just hitch an immediate right as you enter the park and follow the trail to the outdoors!

And once you've worn yourself out come join us over at the Palace of Fine Arts in the Bay Area for Golden Dreams, an award winning film starring Calafia, Queen of California, played by "Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit" star Whoopi Goldberg. Experience the people, events, hopes and dreams which have shaped the character of California.

Make sure to join us for spring break!

Okay, Hey I feel your pain, I am 6'8" and I have been told that I am too tall to ride before, yeah it sucks, but it is just like someone being to short. It is the exact same thing in my eyes. I remember riding Kong at SFMW(fomerly) and then a few weeks later I went back a ride op told me I was too tall and even showed me the sign where it said that I was too tall. Yeah I wasn't happy esspecially since I had ridden it just weeks before. But rules are there for your protection. Now have I been on a ride when it has a restriction? ...ummm ummm no comment...lol:)

But ya know what? If I had waited 90 minutes, and she brought out the "your too tall stick" OMG I would have died laughing and got so many pics with it. I would have posted them on here even. That would have been with the wait alone. But that is just me. I would have had fun with it, cause there is really nothing else that you can do. If your too tall your too tall.

Now having said all that, it's funny when I try to fit on a kiddie coaster, for me trying to fit on ANY ride is a challenge, you will find you are going to have to have a sense of humor, and if you can't fit, oh well:)

So hey hang in there, trust me there will be more coasters and rides that you are too tall for.

Casey"I FEEL YOUR PAIN, but I still have my Deja Vu credit"Childers

The height limits are in most cases set by the manufactuerer to ensure the body is compatible with the restraint system. Since this ride definately has a history of problems with the restraints, I cant say I really blame them for strictly enforcing the rules.

I'd be surprised if this was an Intamin enforced limit. If it was we'd see these kind of height limits on their other t-bar coasters.

I did get height checked on S:ROS at Darien Lake. The top of the test bar brushed through my hair, and they let me ride.

I was probably as shocked as you were when I was stopped while entering the line. At 6'3"-6'4" I'm just not used to getting height checked on adult rides.

Well, under extreme conditions. Say someone waited 90 minutes, only to find out they were 1/2 an inch too tall or short.

Where do you draw the line?

Start letting on someone 1/2 inch too short, and it'll push it to 3/4 inch, and so on.

Kind of defeats the purpose.

Should someone get let off for drunk driving if they're only barely over the limit?

^ Then why bother having a height restriction in the first place? That logic makes NO sense.

--Robb

Well, under extreme conditions. Say someone waited 90 minutes, only to find out they were 1/2 an inch too tall or short.

Why is that an acceptable excuse? So he would be denied the ride if he waited 15 minutes but allowed if he waited 90? That makes no sense.

Besides, he said he knew he was over the height limit before he got in line, so there really should be no reason for the complaint.

--Robb

Thanks for the insight, guys. And I do see the logic from both sides. On one hand, why have a limit if you don't enforce it? On the other hand, why be so cruel to those heightily gifted?

Let me ask this though--is height/girth really a fair parameter for restriction from a ride?

Hear me out: we all know that roller coaster operators know their liabilities. These operator's clearly state stern warnings up and down the queue lines and blast the same warnings over queue's loud speakers.

But. does this stop "expectant mothers," "persons with back or heart conditions," or "those prone to motion sickness" from actually riding the ride?

Nope.

I have to say, I feel that if you're going to post a height limit with a height stick, you better darn well have sonograms and EKGs out there scanning the line and enforcing those cautionary limitations too.

When you're on a coaster, I say buyer beware. The same way that sitting in a T.V. studio gives unwritten consent to use your image on film, sitting in a coaster train should give unwritten consent that you are willing to accept whatever may happen.

I figure a park has a right to kick me off a ride if it appears the ride's restraint (the lap bar and seat belt in most cases) has not been set to a safe level. Other than that, hands off, Miss. Rainstorm. I'm taking my life into my own hands and I'm fine with that.

To clarify, I do think ride height minimums are a good thing, as a ride's restraints clearly need to have some minimum form to work with.

And I'm not saying do away with cautionary limitations. What I am saying is, along with those limitations, roller coaster operators should come right out and say (in text and over the loud speaker) that "riding this attraction releases all operating parties from any and all liability resulting from injury or death."

How hard would that be? Sure it doesn't sound friendly and Disneyland-magical, but it may actually work to make those people who shouldn't be riding seriously think twice.

And I'm no lawyer, so maybe my wording isn't quite right, but I think that an explicit statement of non-liability would mean that, unless the operators did something like prevent medical help from getting to those who needed it, sue-happy ride patrons would have no case.

Because no matter whether you think it's fair or not that I got kicked off that coaster (I'm not sure whether I think it was fair or not) you have to admit that there's almost an absolute chance that I could've sat in that coaster, lowered the lap-bar to a safe level, had the ride of my life and been just fine.

And if something had gone wrong, I don't think my family would sue. They would know I was doing something I loved. In fact, my only wish in hypothetical-death would be that my last on-ride photo be framed on my headstone. Maybe morbid, or maybe I'm just that hard-core.

Thanks for the insight, guys. And I do see the logic from both sides. On one hand, why have a limit if you don't enforce it? On the other hand, why be so cruel to those heightily gifted?

I don't see how a ride op telling you that you are too tall to ride when you knew this could be an issue before getting in line can be considered "cruel."

I hear you and I do feel for you, but you knew about the height limitation, so I'm not exactly able to give you the sympathy I think you're looking for, sorry!

Let me ask this though--is height/girth really a fair parameter for restriction from a ride?

Hear me out: we all know that roller coaster operators know their liabilities. These operator's clearly state stern warnings up and down the queue lines and blast the same warnings over queue's loud speakers.

But. does this stop "expectant mothers," "persons with back or heart conditions," or "those prone to motion sickness" from actually riding the ride?

Nope.

If there was a quantifiable way to measure those things, there probably would be. But there isn't. There *IS* a quantifiable way to measure height and girth, and those attributes are obvious to the eye. So that makes sense to have restrictions based on this.

I have to say, I feel that if you're going to post a height limit with a height stick, you better darn well have sonograms and EKGs out there scanning the line and enforcing those cautionary limitations too.

If there was a simple method as the "stick" to measure these things, they probably would use them.

Unfortunatley, the technology to measure height and girth has advanced far more than the technology to measure heart conditions and back problems and it's just not possible to monitor those things before getting on a ride.

I figure a park has a right to kick me off a ride if it appears the ride's restraint (the lap bar and seat belt in most cases) has not been set to a safe level. Other than that, hands off, Miss. Rainstorm. I'm taking my life into my own hands and I'm fine with that.

See, now you're starting to sound a bit unreasonable. Like the fat ACErs I've witnessed during an ERT session for a ride they don't fit in constantly try over and over and over again to fit in a restraint, as if walking around the queue was going to shed a few inches and somehow the next time they would try they would magically fit on the coaster. And then they make a scene at the station every time the ride op told them they couldn't ride.

I've heard the "It's my damn right as a rider to be able to ride this coaster if I want to!" line over and over. But in reality, it's *NOT* the riders right. It's the park's right to have rules in place to protect themselves and enforce them.

I don't go making a huge post on a forum if I was .25 inches to tall to ride a kiddie coaster and go around claiming it's my right to ride if I want to!

I'm not saying do away with cautionary limitations. What I am saying is, along with those limitations, roller coaster operators should come right out and say (in text and over the loud speaker) that "riding this attraction releases all operating parties from any and all liability resulting from injury or death."

In the sue-happy world we live in now, it's never going to happen.

I really want to be able to sympathize with you, and other than saying "dude, it sucks you can't ride", I'm really not able to, sorry.

Having hung around Casey for quite some time now, who is a few inches taller, he's got the right attitude. He knows he can't ride everything, and when he's told not to, he doesn't make a big deal out of it because rules are rules, and when he CAN ride it, he's very appreciative of it.

Because no matter whether you think it's fair or not that I got kicked off that coaster (I'm not sure whether I think it was fair or not) you have to admit that there's almost an absolute chance that I could've sat in that coaster, lowered the lap-bar to a safe level, had the ride of my life and been just fine.

Sure, but just like I believe that most of our members here could take video on a ride with no problem at all, if a park asks us to make sure no cameras on carried on board during a TPR event, we make sure no one takes a camera on a ride.

And if someone breaks that rule, we have to ban them.

NO ONE HERE IS ABOVE ANY PARK RULE! Including you.

I understand where you're coming from, but I just can't sympathize with you, sorry.

--Robb "You can probably dunk a basketball WAY better than I can and yo don't see my complaining about it!" Alvey

Robb,

I totally get your points, and I'm really not looking for sympathy, I promise. I'm only recounting a startling realization and trying to find a way around it, even if I do so in vain.

And having not been to an ACE event myself, but having seen my fair share of awkward, "no, you can't ride this ride" interactions with ride-ops and patrons, I can relate to your annoyance there.

I just never thought my height would be a hindrance to one of the passions that makes me most happy in life. A little depressing to think about now, honestly, but the calm and perspective you said your friend Casey has is something I hope I can attain too.

But right now, I need sleep.

Good talking, everybody. I do appreciate the listening!

Cheers!

Ben