TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moving to Florida!

^The thing about hurricanes and florida is, there's not too much to slow them down--swamp and flat lands won't diminish the strength; the larger ones with the feeder bands can pretty much engulf the state... you just have to watch where the eye is going because that's where the most damage is gonna be.

That's why you gotta be prepared. Pretty much from August to November (usually) is when they start flying through although last year gave us a much needed respite. Around that time you should be checking at least once a day the weather reports because they can just pop up like they did in 2004. Try selling property and the next thing you see a tropical depression just turns into a full hurricane off the coast!

I've been though a few category 3 hurricanes, but for the most part we have been away from the eye so we just had to deal with power outages and downed trees. You should have water and your other hurricane supplies handy (lantern, candles, batteries, radio, etc.); when Wilma came through everyone thought it wasn't going to do to much and knocked out the power for most of South Florida... people were trying to get ice and food because they didn't do it beforehand... I had my supplies and used my cell phone as a modem to dial into the internet from my car... (luckily i had a car adapter for my laptop)... we didn't have power for a week... luckily we had money to buy tickets to new york and spent most of our time up there... when we came back, we had just walked into the house and the power came on!

Just one tip during the hurricane... don't open the door to look outside! That is if you still want to have a roof on your place!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been though three hurricanes in Virginia: Gloria (not as bad as feared), Floyd (worse than Gloria), and Isabel (just about as bad as feared). Williamsburg is pretty far inland, but we were still slammed pretty hard by Isabel, and it was a Category 1 (I lost power for about six days and saw trees fall on three neighbors' houses).

so, I guess the lesson is, keep a "weather eye" open, monitor the forecasts, and have your supplies ready. I'm sure the state of Florida can provide you with some sort of "hurricane manual" (wouldn't surprise me if Disney had one, too).

I am not moving to Florida for College. I am moving there as a Disney Cast Member I will be living in Disney housing. So I think that is renting? OH and I am moving from Arkansas I can not wait to get away from this state Oh and I have a new question.... What are hurricanes like? I mean are they really as bad as they look on T.V.?

~Matthew

**Hurricanes.

Honest, don’t worry about it. Other then that freak out break we had it is so rare really when one hits.

I have lived in FL 20+ of my 30 years. Born and raised in West Palm and never had one single Hurricane actually hit while growing up other then some depressions and side bands of storms at sea. (Andrew hit after I moved to Daytona)

Now that I am been back in FL, Jacksonville I finally got to experience the hurricanes that from 2004/05? season. The issue that hurt everyone was the power outages, and dumb people who where outside in the storm and got whacked by falling tree branches etc. My poor sister who works for Disney was without power for 2 weeks. Some had it much worse.

Having lived in MO myself and being near the kinds of weather you would have experienced I can give you perspective on a hurricane. For you it’s basically like some of the bad summer storms with very large wind gusts, only the winds of a hurricane have a large consistent duration of many hours rather then those gusts from the cells, then clearing sky’s.

Also most of a hurricanes damage (Unless a cat 3+ will mess things up) are caused from tornadoes and not the actually storm winds themselves.

If one comes this season follow the news and buy these items!

. Battery operated radio. (Very important, it might not be safe to go out after a storm. Or you could be in the eye wall, etc.)

. Flash light

. Masking/Duck Tape (You have to have duck tape)

. Batteries (everyone forgets these)

. Bottled water always in reserve (plan for min 3 days worth)

. Bag of ice. Put in the fridge and it will work as a cool box and help keep things cold longer during power outage. Don’t eat any meats, etc. as they will spoil quick!

. Small portable generator if possible, if not something you can use to boil water, or you can use a grill to boil a pot of water if needed. (Stock up on Ramon noodles, or snack packs.)

. First aid kit.

But really Tornadoes are so much more common then any hurricane ever hitting.

- - - - - - -

As for the Disney housing. Save your money up and find 1 or 2 people who you can live with and get an apartment, or you can search for roommates. (You really will want to do this!) And it will be cheaper!

Prices will vary depending on your transportation.

(Car up keep costs will be higher here then Ark. Much more wear and tear.) So always try to have a small stash saved up if you do not have a newer warranted car! You will be making some drives to get good prices on stuff. (Also your Disney ID is your friend; you will get discounts at some places)

Other options that might help you. Wholesale clubs are your friend. Get a BJ’s or Sams Club membership. Cheaper gas and larger supplies to stock up on “Hurray bulk packs of Ramon noodles”

Word of advice; do not get trapped in the nightlife. Orlando = drugs. And it runs a lot of good people into the ground. So be smart and keep your direction. Make the right friends if you want to move in the company.

As for working at Disney. Be open, look around, and listen. Standing out at Disney is not always the smartest thing also! You will learn this for when you should and shouldn't. Keep your eyes ALWAYS opened to the latest job posting and possibilities.

Do not be against working in many different areas it really will benefit you and put your name out more.

Good luck.

Word of advice; do not get trapped in the nightlife. Orlando = drugs. And it runs a lot of good people into the ground. So be smart and keep your direction. Make the right friends if you want to move in the company.

Maybe drugs is a problem 'cause there's not much of a night life .

Seriously, if this your first time on your own you really do need to be careful of who your friends are. Also you gotta believe in yourself and take care of yourself because no one else will... if you have that attitude you will be fine. I would imagine drug use would be a no-no working at disney anyway so I would stay away from that stuff, if you're planning on making it your career.

And be careful who you room with, you'll come across so many undependable people that will drag you down. If you can swing it, I would live by yourself. That way everything is your name and you know exactly where your money needs to be. And if you need a roommate, just get one.. more than one stranger can make things difficult, especially if they are eating your food and using your things... and not paying their share of the expenses. My father told me when I first moved out that I should be able to carry the rent on my own if need be... so i made sure I could. Sure enough my roommate wasn't paying his rent or expenses (and eating my food) and started stealing money and I had to put him out. Luckily I could afford the place on my own, so it was a little struggle, but it ended up being cheaper because I could control how much electric was used, didn't have to buy extra food because someone ate mine up, etc.

I was just wondering... are you working at Disney through the Disney College Program?

I just finished the program in January and I had the best time.

Florida is a lovely place to live. I was extremely lucky because when I was down there the weather was wonderful. We only had two minor storms, which consisted of nothing more than a lot of rain, and during the summer the weather was warm but not extreme... meaning it basically ranged from 88 to about 92 every day.

Fall was wonderful, but I do have to admit that it was kind of weird having 70 degree weather and sun on Christmas Day.

I felt that the prices for goods were kind of expensive, but then I also refused to shop at Wall-Mart. I also lacked a car so I was basically limited to where they would bus me (WDW, Downtown Disney) and where I could walk. In the area around Vista and Chatham we had a Publix, Walgreen's, and the Orlando Premium Outlets... all directed towards tourists so the prices weren't the best.

If you are doing the College Program... good luck! The work can be repetitive at times, but it's truly the best thing I've ever done in my life.

If you're shopping for food in Orlando, don't go to Gooding's unless you like to pay high prices. I find prices at Publix pretty reasonable. Plus, Publix stores tend to be very nice and have overall friendly employees.

^Seconded, to me, you are NOT a Florida person if you do not shop for food at Publix. People who shop at Winn-Dixie and Sweetbay are crazy.

Word.

It's like an unwritten law that true Floridians shop at Publix.

And yes I've heard it called "Pubic" before,Haha my french teacher calls it that!

WOW thanks guys for all the replies. I am doing the disney career start program! I so cant wait! I do have a new question though... ok can someone who is good at math tell me about how much it will cost me in gas to drive from Fort Smith AR to Orlando FL in my car that gets 16 and 21 mpg? Would it be worth it to drive or just fly and ride the bus everyday?

~Matthew

^It's a bit late for me to be doing math (especially after drinking a large hot saki, then half bottle of cold saki), but if you can bring your car I would. Mass transit isn't that great in Florida and some places you may want to go (cheap groceries, shopping etc) may be too inconvenient to catch a bus.

Career Start... Congratulations!

Car or no car, that is the question?

I agree Mass Transit is not the best. One time we were trying to figure out how to get from Chatham to Universal by bus and became so confused that we gave up and took a taxi. Really, truly, if you want to do anything outside of Disney car is definitely the way to go. Besides you can still use the busing to get to work (and the resort in general), and have the car for your days off or just in case.

I was down there for seven months without a car and only really made it to two places off of property... Universal and Busch (for that we took a bus that leaves everyday from the outlet mall). There is a bus that they provide that goes to Wall-Mart but that's not everyday.

So, yeah, if you can afford it, I highly recommend taking a car.

Take your car. You might want to find out whether you have to register your car in Florida, too (this could depend on how long you plan to remain in the Sunshine State).

In a lot of areas of Florida, there are Publix stores on almost every street corner (even more so than McDonalds, but don't tell Elissa!). They're thriving when Winn Dixie, Kash'n'Karry/Sweetbay, and Albertsons are struggling. Their prices are very reasonable, service is good, and they don't require you to have one of those so-called "loyalty" cards.

How can you go wrong at a place "Where shopping is a pleasure"?

As mentioned before, if you plan to stay in Florida, get a Florida ID card as it gives you discounts and some perks at some parks (ie. Busch Funcard, Disney discounts, Universal promotions). Also, if you do a lot of travelling (especially on the turnpike), get a Sunpass, which can be conveniently picked up at any Publix. It allows you to speed through tollbooths and gives you a discount too.

OK I have decided to fly down there. I think I will just get a jeep when I am down there because I really can not see me trying to drive my H3 all around florida when I have no idea where I am going. I would probley get into another wreck if I did. So to stay safe I am just going to fly down there. Do you think that was a good choice?

~Matthew