TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Zingo at Bell's Amusment Park to be dismantled

Here's the story:

http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=121225

It's a big job, moving an amusement park; the folks at Bell's Amusement Park have been dismantling rides and the Midway since the middle of January. The News On 6’s Rick Wells reports most of the small rides are gone, and the real heavy lifting is just beginning.

A familiar site is missing from the Tulsa County fairgrounds, most the rides from Bell’s Amusement Park have been dismantled, and many are sitting stacked in a Tulsa warehouse. Most of the kids rides and arcade games are in storage, while some of the bigger rides are still in the park.

Bell's most famous ride is Zingo, the wooden roller coaster people from all over the country have come to Tulsa to ride. Robby Bell says his dad built it in 1968 for about $240,000, it would cost at least $3 million today to duplicate it, so it's coming down piece by piece.

"You'd be surprised how much material you'd keep off of it,” Bell’s owner Robby Bell said. “We will lose what we call the trackbed."

The trackbed is the part above Zingo’s rib-like cross pieces. That will be tossed, the rest will come down like an erector set. Bell says it will take 12 weeks to tear down the ride, and five months to rebuild it somewhere else.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awwwwwww man!

That Coaster looked really fun to ride and also retro which I like! I am sad it's going though cause I really wanted to ride it. The Bit that looks especially fun is when it dives under that gift shop. Arn't Bells Getting a new gravity group coaster or something like that? I dont know but I heared some rumours about happening on other forums. Can Someone please enlighten me on this one?

Cheers,

BlackHole2005

Ah man, you have no idea how happy I am at hearing this.

Zingo always has been one of my favorite wooden coasters, and was my first ever major coaster. It's great, not only is it very smooth for it's age and situation, but also it does indeed have some air and retains that special classic woodie feel and just the right amount of roughness. It's extremely good-looking as well.

This news implies not only that Zingo will live on, but also shows that they do have an interest at re-building the park. If they didn't, they wouldn't bother taking down Zingo for a future re-build.

It is kinda sad though, I've been on 're-built' woodies before and they are usually only a shadow of their former selves... but maybe this will be another Phoenix.

Looks like it will be totally retracked when they rebuild as well. i'm glad there are finally getting away from the stupid Tulsa local government.

Let's hope this time they find some land without any lame neighbors!

Still, it's sad that while they may be saving the log flume, all of the homemade dinosaur themeing will be destroyed.

Stupid Tulsa! And your Waffle House sucks!

-Don

^I posted some a while back > http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29708&highlight=

I have more of Zingo and the rest of the park on my site if it ever gets back up.

Still, it's sad that while they may be saving the log flume, all of the homemade dinosaur themeing will be destroyed.

-Don

They're saving the log flume? I was under the impression that everything besides Zingo and the movable rides were toast. Anyone have any more info on what all is moving?

I hope it does not just get put into storage or left in a field to rot. So many times this happens and the coaster just heads into folklore. However, i feel Zingo has more chance of being rebuilt providing Bells do find a new suitable location, as they were looking at building another wooden coaster on the old site. Fingers crossed

Just seen the pic's of this coaster, it looks lovely and certainly a "Classic". Good luck to the Park to find another home and so glad "Zingo" is not getting destroyed.

There have been enough "classic" woodies razed over the last few years, which could of been saved.