TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

DCA: perplexing security incident

I need some perspective on a perplexing DCA security experience:

Last Saturday I was in DCA with my son and "Cars" movie cars made a photo op appearance. Guests were invited to touch and pose with Lightning McQueen and Mater.

In an admitted momentary lapse of reason, I pushed an unmarked red button near Mater's rear bumper. Mater didn't do anything (we were hoping he would talk or make a sound). Then suddenly, out of nowhere a petite woman wearing all black clothing and sunglasses appeared, pushed the red button again, turned to me and snapped, "don't ever touch anything you know nothing about."

Now let me say that we're at the end of our annual pass year, and we weren't going to renew anyway, but I was really amazed by the security person's warning. Sure, that button may be some kind of panic button or could have made the "vehicle" move suddenly, but why was there no warning painted near it, etc.?

Some folks at intercotwest.com's DCA board advised me to go straight to DLR Guest Relations with my complaint, but I don't think we'll get back to there before our passes expire.

Anyway, I would love some inside information on that button!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really surprised that if it does anything there aren't any signs around it as you should NEVER trust anyone not to push a button, especially if it does something potentially dangerous. Put a cover over it, warning signs or something. Buttons are just too much of a tempting to push. There's just something about them, especially the ones that say don't push.

That is rather weird. If they didn't want people to push the button then why have it out in the open? You would think they would cleverly hide these kinda things. Hide it under their gas cap or something like that.

Did they ever give you any reason as to why you weren't supposed to be touching it? Was is like an emergency shut off or something?

I have to say that I was so taken aback by the security guard's reprimand that I just took my son and walked away. It was the first time I had done something like that, so I was too embarrassed to question it!

I just wish I knew what that button really does. BTW this isn't a dare to go push it, either! I was hoping a cast member could post a scoop.

I don't think she should have been such rude about the whole incident. Its an honest mistake, especially as from what it sounded like, there ws no notice or anything. I would complain anyways, simply because if it happens once its bound to happen again. And they're called cast members because they're suppose to be putting on a show for the guests, not shouting at them for an honest mistake and making them feel stupid. A simple, "Oh please don't touch that button for a reason because bla bla bla" would have been the proper way to go about it, imo.

Maybe that button self destructs security guards and she was just looking after herself. You might just have to push it harder or something.

One thing's for sure, next time I'm there I'm pushing the crap out of that button. Every mini-boss has a weak point, and I think this was hers!

-Don

'So getting to the next level'

Just to let you know, seeing that woman's description of costume, it wasn't a security guard. If they're wearing all black, it's probably a technician from Entertainment. As for the button, it's probably an emergency stop. Usually at Disney, red buttons mean a stop of some sort, either an e-stop or a ride stop. In the case of things like floats, belts, and anything else that just moves, it would more than likely be an e-stop only. The reason it's not painted or warned is because they really don't want to bring any attention to it at all. You were the rare chance that someone saw it.

I dunno, I guess once you reach a certain age you know that you aren't supposed to be touching a button on something like that unless you know what it is. I mean, I'd be upset if my kids did something like that because even they should know better.

Not to say the CM wasn't out of line, because her reaction wasn't very "Disney" ...

^ At a place like a Disney theme park pushing random buttons isn't out of the ordinary. Think of all the hidden features in the Indiana Jones line...if it wasn't for inquisitive people, no one would get to see those effects and they wouldn't be created in the first place.

I would have done the exact same thing he did, hoping that pushing this button would do something "cool". Since it was out in the open and not hidden in any way I don't get how you can blame him. Had he gone out of his way to find something like this then I can see that sort of reaction coming from a CM, but from what I've heard that was totally uncalled for.

Shawn "Curious" Goode

I know at WDW the "Cars" move through the park and are in the "Stars and Motor Cars" parade, so I agree about the E-stop and the fact that the "pusher" shouldn't have pushed. However... if the vehicle was not in motion at the time, what did it hurt? Surely the cast member involved could have handled it a bit more politely?

Shari

It's interesting to get the mixture of replies to my report. BTW, my son had nothing to do with the button pushing. He didn't even notice when the woman in black talked to me because he was too busy looking at the red car.

In the end, I think it's a case of the stupids and science-center-itis (we visit the local science center frequently and I got used to pushing buttons to see what happens). I won't argue that it's wrong to touch unknown buttons. I posted to find out what exactly the button does and why the staff person was so abrupt with me. Now I know. I've already told my kid the whole story and explained why it's wrong to touch unknown buttons.

P.S. my mother-in-law touched a stalagmite in Carlsbad Caverns in 1974, and got reprimanded by a park ranger. The family has never let her forget it!

P.S. my mother-in-law touched a stalagmite in Carlsbad Caverns in 1974, and got reprimanded by a park ranger. The family has never let her forget it!

So THAT'S who that person is! I noticed the stalgmite hasn't grown in several years and was wondering what diabolical person was behind it.

Mystery solved...moving on now...

I actually agree with her. Why would you touch something that you know nothing about.

That maybe true but that's not really the point. A cast member should not

come up to you and yell at the costumer, she's lucky he didn't complain.

No employe anywhere are not aloud to do that not at SFMM, KBF, or anywhere.