TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

^Any source for this? 'Cause these sound like rumors .

lol, well that was what was asked for. Best thing about rumors is that anyone can start them based on anything. Every few years someone in Branson thinks Disney is thinking about buying the park. This year there are some who think Manby might try to buy the park as part of SeaWorld Inc. Of course neither of those scenarios make sense, but they are rumors the same.

It's going to be awhile before we see any actual clues. I hope we're surprised this fall with something interesting, but I'm not getting my hopes up given the current pattern.

Just some random observations from the park:

1. Carrie's Candles is looking really vacant. Do they even do demonstrations anymore?

2. Most of the shops in Midtown/Centertown look really temporary anymore. There are also a lot of closed buildings now.

3. The Opera House has been empty more this year than ever before (yet the AC is still running -- odd)

4. With that in mind, it seems the amount of live entertainment this year is much less when compared to previous years.

5. There are torn down Flooded Mine boat trains on the back lot. No wonder the lines are longer this year.

6. A lot of the signs around the park (you know the quirky ones) have been disappearing.

7. The men's restrooms at the bottom of Hill Street appear to finally be done with their rebuild.

8. There seem to be a lot of new faces within the ranks this year. A lot of the older citizens (or long time citizens) are not back this year.

9. Grand Expo is looking really rough anymore. While some of the elephants have finally received attention there is plenty more that still needs major help here.

10. The amount of ECV locations in the park seems higher this year.

11. The amount of demonstrations in the park appear to be in the single digits. The broom makers near Powder Keg left already (they said not having a show in Opera House hurt them majorly).

I just noticed in an Outlaw Run off ride video posted on July 3rd, that the restraints seem to be more accommodating to large riders. I haven't seen a restraint near the top of the side wall to the train since it opened. I'm referring to the part that looks like a little step before the wall drops to the floor. I really ont know how to explain it better. Has anyone been there recently noticed a change?

Just some random observations from the park:

1. Carrie's Candles is looking really vacant. Do they even do demonstrations anymore?

2. Most of the shops in Midtown/Centertown look really temporary anymore. There are also a lot of closed buildings now.

3. The Opera House has been empty more this year than ever before (yet the AC is still running -- odd)

4. With that in mind, it seems the amount of live entertainment this year is much less when compared to previous years.

5. There are torn down Flooded Mine boat trains on the back lot. No wonder the lines are longer this year.

6. A lot of the signs around the park (you know the quirky ones) have been disappearing.

7. The men's restrooms at the bottom of Hill Street appear to finally be done with their rebuild.

8. There seem to be a lot of new faces within the ranks this year. A lot of the older citizens (or long time citizens) are not back this year.

9. Grand Expo is looking really rough anymore. While some of the elephants have finally received attention there is plenty more that still needs major help here.

10. The amount of ECV locations in the park seems higher this year.

11. The amount of demonstrations in the park appear to be in the single digits. The broom makers near Powder Keg left already (they said not having a show in Opera House hurt them majorly).

Your use of the word "anymore" is rather disturbing...

I didn't look into carries candles this year. I keep forgetting that place exists, but it was one of my favorite shops as a kid.

Certainly lots of room to redevelop within SDC right now. The tree house/landing area, Watterboggin area, and some of the area on the lakeside (most notably the empty lot next between river blast and the theatres) is very prime. I didn't find GE to be that "rough" this year, but it is even more nondescript now than when it opened. I'd like to see them redevelop that to some degree during a "small" investment year. Simply adding a dash of character and maybe refreshing some of the rides would go a long way. There's no excuse for the tacky flying elephants when we know Zamperla can do custom ride bodies.

• 2 weeks later...

Both are doing well this year.

They removed the extremely slow female head ride op from OR late last season and that immediately sped things up (last I heard she had been banished to being part of the train robbery).

Powder Keg does well when there is no rain. When there is rain they have to literally dry the transfer track area by hand so that it can get traction going up the hill. The new SOP of holding back the line at the "Duds" stairway helps alleviate overcrowding at the station.

The worst load times in the park are still in Grand Expo with the Wave Carousel and Electrospin being the worst.

Edited by PhantomPoster32

What I've found out is that the "safety theater" seat belts at Outlaw Run is what slows down load time. Since they are not retractable, the belt likes to get tangled and then it takes time for the buckle to either elongate or shorten the belt. Then you have your usual WOS riders who didn't bother using the test seat at the entrance. It piles on and makes the wait longer -- but it is nothing the crew is doing wrong. They try to go as fast as they can.

What I've found out is that the "safety theater" seat belts at Outlaw Run is what slows down load time. Since they are not retractable, the belt likes to get tangled and then it takes time for the buckle to either elongate or shorten the belt. Then you have your usual WOS riders who didn't bother using the test seat at the entrance. It piles on and makes the wait longer -- but it is nothing the crew is doing wrong. They try to go as fast as they can.

I honestly don't remember much wait time issues on my last visits nor did I have any major problems with the seat belts. The only thing that bothered me is that they were kind of hard to adjust.

Sundays during Moonlight Madness are busy but manageable. Get there right when the gates open at 8:30. Don't pay any attention to the website that says it opens at 9:30. You need to be in there as early as possible. It can take as much as 30 minutes from the time you step out of your car until you enter the front gates. The parking lots are all quite a ways down the road, except of course for valet and handicapped parking, which are right at the entrance.

The reason why it is crucial to be in the park and ready to go for rope drop at 9:30 is that this area is pretty religious, and most people will arrive later on a Sunday. If you're there first thing, you'll have walk ons for the first hour, maybe 90 minutes. Later when the crowds show up they'll go to 30-45 minutes for the big coasters and over an hour for Lost River and American Plunge. This is especially true during Moonlight Madness, as a lot of people don't feel rushed to get there right at opening. It'll be crowded Sunday, but if you use your time well first thing, you can knock out all the big rides before the crowds get there and enjoy the rest of the day. Don't forget that the last cave tour is still about 5:30 or so even when the park is open later. Don't miss out on that.

Sundays during Moonlight Madness are busy but manageable. Get there right when the gates open at 8:30. Don't pay any attention to the website that says it opens at 9:30. You need to be in there as early as possible. It can take as much as 30 minutes from the time you step out of your car until you enter the front gates. The parking lots are all quite a ways down the road, except of course for valet and handicapped parking, which are right at the entrance.

The reason why it is crucial to be in the park and ready to go for rope drop at 9:30 is that this area is pretty religious, and most people will arrive later on a Sunday. If you're there first thing, you'll have walk ons for the first hour, maybe 90 minutes. Later when the crowds show up they'll go to 30-45 minutes for the big coasters and over an hour for Lost River and American Plunge. This is especially true during Moonlight Madness, as a lot of people don't feel rushed to get there right at opening. It'll be crowded Sunday, but if you use your time well first thing, you can knock out all the big rides before the crowds get there and enjoy the rest of the day. Don't forget that the last cave tour is still about 5:30 or so even when the park is open later. Don't miss out on that.

Well shoot, unfortunately I will be driving from Dallas that morning at 4am and probably won't arrive until 11 or so. What do you imagine wait times would be for the rest of the day on the major coasters?

Ack. Okay, well, you'll miss the prime time, but SDC's operations are great. You'll wait 30-45 minutes at the most. If you're arriving about 11, unless you hate water rides, I'd say as much as you'll want to go straight to the coasters, restrain yourself and go straight to Lost River of the Ozarks. It's one of the best Intamin rapids rides out there, and it is always the longest line in the park in the afternoon. Do it before noon and you'll wait 10-15 minutes. Then go to Powder Keg, Outlaw Run, and Wildfire, in that order. Do the cave next, to spend an hour of the afternoon in 65 degree air, and then finish up with Thunderation and Fire in the Hole (those last two hardly ever have a wait, and especially toward the end of the day). Grand Expo Coaster allows adults if you really have to have the credit, but do it last if you do it at all. It's a crappy Zamperla coaster.

Ack. Okay, well, you'll miss the prime time, but SDC's operations are great. You'll wait 30-45 minutes at the most. If you're arriving about 11, unless you hate water rides, I'd say as much as you'll want to go straight to the coasters, restrain yourself and go straight to Lost River of the Ozarks. It's one of the best Intamin rapids rides out there, and it is always the longest line in the park in the afternoon. Do it before noon and you'll wait 10-15 minutes. Then go to Powder Keg, Outlaw Run, and Wildfire, in that order. Do the cave next, to spend an hour of the afternoon in 65 degree air, and then finish up with Thunderation and Fire in the Hole (those last two hardly ever have a wait, and especially toward the end of the day). Grand Expo Coaster allows adults if you really have to have the credit, but do it last if you do it at all. It's a crappy Zamperla coaster.

Thanks I really appreciate it! I'm so excited for my first visit! Any other non coaster or water ride stuff that is a must to check out?? Any cool hidden park secret places that are a must do?

^ Grandfather's Mansion is an old school crooked house, just off the square behind the ice cream shop. Tom and Huck's River Blast is a lot of fun, and it's super high capacity, so it's always quick to get on. That's my go to if we need to cool off fast. Also, if you have the time, watch the craftsmen. There are glass blowing, blacksmithing, wood carving, and other demonstrations, mostly around the square. The train is worthwhile, as it includes a show (a really cheesy one, but you are going to Branson after all).

Flooded Mine and American Plunge are skippable if you're pressed for time, as they're both showing their age. Flooded Mine is a shooting dark ride, and some of the guns are not as functional as they once were. American Plunge has had nearly all of its animatronics removed after they stopped working. In its heyday, it was the best ride in the park and a great flume, but these days it's subpar. Give them a go if you've done everything else and still have time left. Unless you've never been on a Disko or S&S Doubleshot, you won't miss anything by skipping Grand Expo and Fireman's Landing.

I think every ride outside of The Grand Exposition is worth riding, except for Tom Sawyer's River Blast (whatever it's called). I usually skip American Plunge if there's a long line, but it is a good log flume. Don't be fooled by its line either, it will look short but it will take a looong time. If it's much farther back than under the first drop, I'd say don't ride it.

The S&S tower in Fireman's Landing should actually be pretty good. I rode it at Celebration City, and for its height it was quite impressive and intense. The Giant Swing is also awesome. If you have not been on an S&S Screamin Swing, do it!