TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I felt AN Earthquake....

KrakenKing

This morning as I was getting up, I went to the kitchen to grab some Orange Juice. I was pouring it when I felt a viberation, my mom was near me and I asked her if she felt it, she said no. About 30 minutes later on the news they were reporting an earthquake that happened in the Gulf of Mexico... 6.0 intensity.

I know this doesn't seem like much, especially to the Californian's in here, but I thought it was strange having felt an Earthquake here in Orlando.

Did anyone else in Florida feel it? I heard it was stronger along the coast, especially in Tampa. (And to think, I was going to be at Busch Gardens when it hit, ha)

MOD EDIT: Topic changed to make sense -Disneyfan1313

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG I FELT IT TOO!!! I was sitting on the computer and my whole building started shaking!! Me and my mom just looked at each other to make sure that we both felt it. It was weird, I thought my building was falling apart, but luckily it wasnt. It was also on the news tonight, kinda odd.

Colin C

Im from CA and am just laughing at all the news coverage of this. I didnt feel it, but all of the news outlets are making huge coverage of this to the point of "ZOMG theres gonna be a tsunami!!11!1!eleventyone".

I experienced the 1989 loma prieta, and have felt various others through the course of my life, and its funny that people here are freaking out about it. From the sound of it, most barely felt it.

I live in israel and with among allthe shit we have here there are sometimes earthquakes.

Last Saturday I came back home early in the morning abit drunk. I went to bed and felt my bed moving from side to side. I was sure its because I was drunk but later in the news they said it was an earthquake.

I am happy I was drunk as usually I am freaking out from earthquakes. I just hate it. This is horrible feeling and you suddenly understand how little you are and fragile vs. mother nature.

Yeah, about 4 years ago there was an earthquake who's epicenter was about 3 hours south of my hometown in Indiana and I felt it. That was pretty crazy. Yeah, it was nothing major, but still to feel and earthquake in Indiana is just flat out strange. I had no idea why my house was shaking at the time. It was until they told me that night at work did I finally find out why.

Back in 1997, when I was on vacation in Colombia, there was an earthquake that measured somewhere between 4.0 and 5.0, can't really remember the exact number. Anyway, it occurred some time in the early morning hours while I was sleeping. Yeah, you guessed it, slept right through it. In the morning, when I woke up and went into the living room, I saw the picture frames all tilted and stuff had fallen over or shifted out of place. I asked my sister and my aunt what had happened and they said there was an earthquake overnight. They were baffled as to how I slept right through it.

Nevertheless, an earthquake centered in the Gulf of Mexico and felt as far away as North Carolina is certainly uncommon. Who knows if this could be a precursor to something bigger.

^ Not that randm at all. You can see the fault line in that photo.

ALthough this may sound weird, i am extremely interested in Earthquakes!

Its wierd, because Australia's biggest Earthquake was only 5.6 on The richter scale.

I'm not suprised that everyone is worrying about Tsunami's, because they have been lead to beilieve that if there is an earthquake in the sea, a tsunami occurs. This is rarely the case. A small 5.8 Earthquake will never cause a Tsunami, unless the epicenenter was on a faultline in the ocean.

Being able to feel it in Florida isn't so suprising, even if it was in the Gulf of Mexico. In 1986 (I think), an earthquake struck off the western coast of Mexico, yet it was felt, and caused a lot of damge in Mexico City. This is also partially because Mexico City was built in terrible soil.

Not suprising you Floridians felt it. Had it been a 8.something earthquake, i wouldn't of been suprised at all to of seen damage.

Well, sorry to sound nerdy...

But thats the facts...

About Earthquakes.

well I know it isn't random I can see the fault there but its like if. . . well I mean when we get a quake on the Hayward Fault out here in California, it hasn't happned in around 200 years - Some faults take on an almost extinct personality for long periods of time then wake up and suprise everyone

I know this doesn't seem like much, especially to the Californian's in here, but I thought it was strange having felt an Earthquake here in Orlando.

A 6.0 earthquake is pretty damn big! I know it is no 8 but it still can bring down structures though. Depends where the epicenter was. If that epicenter was on land in Florida and close to the surface of the earth, there would of been some severe damage to houses and structures around the epicenter!

Well....All I can say is that I have never experienced an earthquake and you all can have a guess why.

I have to say I am pretty interested in Natural Disasters. I dunno why...it is just amazing seeing what the earth can do....and how they look so spectacular.

Must be a feild hockey thing

^ Yeah the earthquake itself is pretty facinating, especially if you're outside and get to see the pavement/streets liquify and roll, actually pretty f'ing cool!. It's only because of man made structures falling on you that earthquakes are deadly (unless there's a tsunami or mudslide involved, then not so much fun).

With all those structures built on swampland and sand, I would've been crapping my pants too if I lived in FL!

I'm a little late on this one.. but I was lying in bed (after hitting snooze for an hour) and the house started to shake and I was wondering what the hell my roommate was doing to shake the whole place!

It definately got me out of bed.. but I didnt realize what it was until I got into work at Universal and saw it on the news..

Its crazy! I hope we dont fall into the ocean..

Eric

We had an earthquake in Virginia a few years ago. I was sitting in my office in Williamsburg and didn't pay it any mind, but other people we're freaking out a bit. It was roughy a 3 on the Richter scale, with its epicenter somewhere in the Shenandoah (quite a ways north of here).

As I told folks in the office: "Folks, I was born and raised in California. Unless it's a 4 or above, I wouldn't even notice it."