TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

It never ceases to amuse me how VF/CF fanboys create their own imagined 'reality' where Valleyfair somehow isn't behind the curve, squeeze their eyes tightly shut and pretend everyone believes as they do. They don't.

Ask your real-life friends if they'd like to try a Gold pass. Tell 'em it's a great deal. Tell 'em there's five months of fun involved. Pitch 'em on Halloween Haunt. Listen to them scoff, call the park 'boring' and complain that it hasn't changed since they were in high school. Explain VF's so-called 'transformational' changes and see if that makes a difference. Go on, try it.

Minnesotans have an unsurpassed 'brand loyalty' once you're in their radar. More people attend the State Fair in a couple weeks than attend Valleyfair in a full season. When you compare those numbers to the state's population? Unbelievable. The Renaissance Festival attendance--on a per-day basis? Staggering. Valleyfair's not in that 'brand loyalty' zone. Not even close. Don't think so? Check the Facebook page. How many people don't know the flume's gone--seven years after the fact? More critically important...Why don't they know? They don't visit. Maybe they showed up in the late 90s in the Wild Thing/Power Tower days, but haven't since. And those are the folks who'll actually bother loading the page.

Our local management does a great job with what they're given. Unfortunately, they don't get to decide what they get to work with. Maybe if a few more sheeple shed the wool, sprouted a pair of horns and said WE NEED BETTER STUFF it might help. Couldn't hurt.

Oh, and for the record...? I don't 'complain.' I go where I wanna go. Sometimes, that involves Valleyfair. But it also involves SFGAM for days at a time and Nick U and wherever else I'd like to go. That's what customers do.

Our local management does a great job with what they're given. Unfortunately, they don't get to decide what they get to work with.

This is literally the one thing in your wall of text that is undeniably true. However, no amount of crying to the high heavens on this board is going to change what they get to work with, or Frazier's vision for the park. Go whine to corporate and Ouimet, but beware the long line of whiners from all the other parks who get the short end of the stick like we do.

It's not some made up reality when it's true. Valleyfair isn't treated that bad. We actually got stuff this year, unless you are preferring to gloss over the expensive overhaul of the High Roller trains, or the million dollar Carousel renovation, or the Subway changing out B&J's, which was a slow business always. You seem to be the one living in the fantasy where everyone is sick and tired of VF and is going to leave it forever, because heaven forbid, CF is putting their money into other parks for several years. Welcome to business. It's never nice when you want it to be, nor does it give you what you want (whatever the heck you want, you've never said).

Again, it's not like everyone is dropping their passes like flies, and it's not like nobody is buying new passes. Once again, whatever little fantasy you live in is very different from reality. I know several friends and family members who love VF to pieces or to some degree, because it's not like they have the same ability we do to plan trips to other parks with a better selection and better whatever.

I still refer to several rides in NU by their original terms, hell, I even call it Camp Snoopy more often than not. People not getting with the times and thinking stuff is there or isn't is a thing for any attraction you go to, be it Disney, or NU, or Cedar Point, or Six Flags, or Seaworld. You're expecting too much of the GP, and enthusiasts for that matter, if you think everyone lives in the present in terms of what they think is at a place and what they remember and what they call things.

Tier 1 Investment Parks

Cedar Point

Canada's Wonderland

Tier 1.5 Investment Parks

Carowinds

Tier 2 Investment Parks

Knotts Berry Farm

Kings Island

Tier 3 Investment Parks

Kings Dominion

Worlds of Fun

Tier 4 Investment Parks

Valleyfair

Dorney Park

California's Great America

Tier 5 Investment Parks

Michigan's Adventure

FTFY

I´d switch Canada´s Wonderland and Carowinds but overall it looks good.

The state fair is open for a week and a half, VF is open for five months. Many Minnesotans want to attend each of these annually so of course the state fair will have a higher daily attendance but that means nothing. If anyone here is on a vision it's these WOF fanboys that think their park has something on VF, Dorney, or CGA. Also the GP aren't all crazy about coasters like us so as they might not be buying a gold pass to ride coasters every week they still consider VF a great time. VF does good with what they can do for now, they add something new every year and they utilize their off seasons very well. I do think VF should do more, but I just don't think completely bashing the park is the way to go. What sense does it make?

If anyone here is on a vision it's these WOF fanboys that think their park has something on VF, Dorney, or CGA.

Prowler is better than Renegade. Mamba is better than Wild Thing. Patriot is better than...um...corkscrew. Spinning Dragons is better than Wild Mouse by a long shot. Not trying to be rude, but what doesn't WOF have on Valleyfair? Dorney is the only park you listed that comes close to beating it in my opinion. When they get a good wooden coaster, then we can talk.

However, no amount of crying to the high heavens on this board is going to change what they get to work with, or Frazier's vision for the park.

TBH, my wife and I have been specifically invited to 'whine' about my 'little fantasies' to Dave Frazier. And from time to time, we do. But I'm not gonna blow up his email and phone all day. I've got work and so does he. Are you assuming to know his 'vision?' I doubt if your area supes make statements like that. Why would you...?

We actually got stuff this year, unless you are preferring to gloss over the expensive overhaul of the High Roller trains, or the million dollar Carousel renovation, or the Subway changing out B&J's

Problem is, those aren't terribly marketable changes. 'Specially in 15-30 second ad spots.

You seem to be the one living in the fantasy where everyone is sick and tired of VF and is going to leave it forever...

Again, it's not like everyone is dropping their passes like flies, and it's not like nobody is buying new passes. Once again, whatever little fantasy you live in...

Clearly you're confusing me with someone else. Show me where I've said any of those things. I haven't.

Don't map your OTHER frustrations--from what you've obviously heard repeatedly from other posters and real-life people--onto me.

I know several friends and family members who love VF to pieces or to some degree, because it's not like they have the same ability we do to plan trips to other parks with a better selection and better whatever.

Not to put too fine a point on it? But the demographic I'm pitching might be a lil' different than yours. The 'boring' and 'no different than high school' quote was from a early 20s, 4 year, better than mid 40s ( I don't want to get too detailed...?) income who didn't grow up in the Twin Cities proper. I thought the pass would be right up their alley and was shocked to hear the response. EMPHATIC response. Folks in my wife's very professional environment respond much the same. They've got plenty of disposable income. They can do whatever the heck they'd like. But when she pitches them passes...? Raspberries.

I'm not talking about VF's imminent demise without a record-breaking coaster. I'm talking about the untapped market.

I still refer to several rides in NU by their original terms, hell, I even call it Camp Snoopy more often than not.

But then there's a good half-dozen attractions you can't call by 'old' names. And we all know why.

If anyone here is on a vision it's these WOF fanboys that think their park has something on VF, Dorney, or CGA.

Prowler is better than Renegade. Mamba is better than Wild Thing. Patriot is better than...um...corkscrew. Spinning Dragons is better than Wild Mouse by a long shot. Not trying to be rude, but what doesn't WOF have on Valleyfair? Dorney is the only park you listed that comes close to beating it in my opinion. When they get a good wooden coaster, then we can talk.

The hypers and GCIs are all a matter of opinion. Even if one is better than another it's by a hair. You guys need a launch coaster. We have a mediocre one, but you have a mediocre invert. Everything below that doesn't even matter. You are bringing a wild mouse into this? That shows you are desperate. If you were KD you wouldn't be doing that What park do you think WOF is closer too? A park that has everything it has plus a giga and two launch coasters, or a park that has everything it has (VF, Dorney, CGA). Why don't you take this back to your own thread where you can discuss how WOF and CP are on the same tier because they both have red hyper coasters. Your arguments are ridiculous.

I still refer to several rides in NU by their original terms, hell, I even call it Camp Snoopy more often than not.

But then there's a good half-dozen attractions you can't call by 'old' names. And we all know why.

They are just replacing old ones though and they aren't even better. Shell shock overtook the axe, that new ride over took Danny phantom, if VF is going to remove corkscrew to put in a relocated SLC I won't be happy.

This comment made me realize Worlds of Fun does not have a Wild Mouse.

When was the last time Worlds of Fun had to close a section of the park for being underwater? I feel like these types of things played a large role in Cedar Fair's development choices in the past. Worlds of Fun is definitely in a more favorable situation for development, while Valleyfair has more costly hurdles to overcome due to its location and restrictions on development.

But to answer the question, the Xtreme Swing is Valleyfair's best ride overall in my opinion. Love love love it. Worlds of Fun should get one, they rock.

But as a WOF outsider who's never visited, I'd like to see them get a Wild Mouse too (more family coasters are always good), and some sort of a launcher. The other flats coming for you in 2017 will be great additions of course. Throw in a dark ride and that park is really, really well-rounded for its market.

Valleyfair definitely has an uphill battle at this point--the waterpark is undersized for its market because it's cornered between a highway and a flood plain (fingers crossed the Army Corps of Engineers approves development!), we could use a full-circuit invert like ten years ago, and the lack of any sort of B&M is sad as an enthusiast. And we could use a good dark ride like everyone else and that should be coming in several years if the rumors are true.

But to say it's a bad park overall?

I have a great time when I go, and it's easier to enjoy a day at Valleyfair than to enjoy even Six Flags Great America due to the fact that Six Flags is perpetually overcrowded and understaffed, a victim of its own success.

When it comes to other people's opinions....

The hypers and GCIs are all a matter of opinion.

When it comes to his own....

Even if one is better than another it's by a hair. You guys need a launch coaster. We have a mediocre one, but you have a mediocre invert..

They are just replacing old ones though and they aren't even better.

Here's a radical idea! They're all just opinions. Yours included.

You only get to share opinions. Not dismiss others out of hand because they aren't your own.

Besides, it's more fun that way. At least I'd like to think so.

The hypers and GCIs are all a matter of opinion. Even if one is better than another it's by a hair. You guys need a launch coaster. We have a mediocre one, but you have a mediocre invert. Everything below that doesn't even matter. You are bringing a wild mouse into this? That shows you are desperate. If you were KD you wouldn't be doing that What park do you think WOF is closer too? A park that has everything it has plus a giga and two launch coasters, or a park that has everything it has (VF, Dorney, CGA). Why don't you take this back to your own thread where you can discuss how WOF and CP are on the same tier because they both have red hyper coasters. Your arguments are ridiculous.

Damn Daniel, back at it again with the Butthurt.

But to say it's a bad park overall?

I would never say VF is a bad park, but I'd say a lot of it is not as good as WOF. But that's just my opinion. I just hate that I never see WOF fanboys stirring sh*t in this forum and yet BuffaloWingRider has to call us out for no reason. When we say WOF is growing faster than the other park its size, it's not because we're mean, it's because it's true.

I will say that I'd rather live next to VF AND MOA rather than just WOF, and if you have season passes to both, you are a very lucky person.

Edited by WOFanatic

Prowler is better than Renegade. Mamba is better than Wild Thing. Patriot is better than...um...corkscrew. Spinning Dragons is better than Wild Mouse by a long shot.

Fanboy fight! Fanboy fight! Fine, I'll bite.

I don't 'get' Prowler--even at night--and strongly prefer Renegade. Mamba's turnaround segment is far and away better than Wild Thing's, but I prefer WT's zero-G zone and Mamba's return run is shallow and booooring. I'd even take Boomerang over Corkscrew. I'm a sucker for vertical loops in reverse. *shrug* That would leave Patriot to beat up any remaining coaster (Steel Venom). Comparing the spinning coaster to Mad Mouse is just plain mean.

But guess what I'm jealous of WOF over? Your classic 70s flume in a wooded setting. Finnish Fling. Whatever you call your old-school roundup. And the multilevel kiddie splash zone at OoF. My wife and I could spend half a day in that bugger at a time. And have.

Now the bad news. When we're in KC, we skip WOF for Schlitterbahn. Which we've done at least three times over. Sorry!

You know what, we obviously have different opinions about VF, so I'm not even going to bother arguing semantics and all that fun stuff with you anymore.

Back to my regularly scheduled looking forward to the beginning of the season.

Damn Daniel, back at it again with the Butthurt.

I would never say VF is a bad park, but I'd say a lot of it is not as good as WOF. But that's just my opinion. I just hate that I never see WOF fanboys stirring sh*t in this forum and yet BuffaloWingRider has to call us out for no reason.

I apologize for being aggressive but I am tired of WoF fans coming here periodically just to shame VF and prove WoF is better. I was just finally addressing it. You can call me butthurt for having pride in my home park but you are the same, clearly.

it is not as good as WOF

I am tired of WoF fans coming here periodically just to shame VF and prove WoF is better. I was just finally addressing it. You can call me butthurt for having pride in my home park but you are the same, clearly.

The long and short of it is that VF fans are constantly predicting that THIS is the season that (insert huge attraction that had little chance of ever materializing) will be added. They then point at an article that states "VF is a growth park" as proof.

WOF fans (which is really a poor generalization of a much larger group of posters) point and laugh at these posts because other than the article there has not been any real evidence to support this. VF has been consistent with their annual small additions (or a lack of one altogether) and most logical posters do not see that changing.

WOF on the other hand has seen a relocated Windseeker, a large Pkanet Snoopy expansion and 2 confirmed Huss legacy rides. I just feel that if VF was a high priority park it'd would have had some rides earmarked fur it as well.

Everyone expected big things for 2016 because it's the 40th anniversary but we have come to know CF doesn't care much about adding something great on an anniversary year. Not many expected VF to get much in other years. I don't think I see some kid rides and a windseeker as so much more than a water park expansion, a completely renovated area of the park, and some kids rides. CF may be doing more with WoF this year but that's just a few extra family flats.

WOF on the other hand has seen a relocated Windseeker, a large Pkanet Snoopy expansion and 2 confirmed Huss legacy rides. I just feel that if VF was a high priority park it'd would have had some rides earmarked fur it as well.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure I'd 'boast' about Windbreaker. I found it quite anticipointing at Knotts. You know--before it stranded riders for hours and Cal-OSHA refused to let them reopen it, so it scooched to WoF. I'd MUCH rather ride VF's Disk'o coaster than Windsucker. Sorry--do I keep calling it mean names? It's a tic, I think. Tho an emergency evacuation might liven things up a bit.

Don't get me wrong. I like both parks. Only not for that thing.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure I'd 'boast' about Windbreaker. I found it quite anticipointing at Knotts. You know--before it stranded riders for hours and Cal-OSHA refused to let them reopen it, so it scooched to WoF. I'd MUCH rather ride VF's Disk'o coaster than Windsucker. Sorry--do I keep calling it mean names? It's a tic, I think. Tho an emergency evacuation might liven things up a bit.

Don't get me wrong. I like both parks. Only not for that thing.

Steelhawk for Worlds of Fun is four things:

-A new thrill ride for GP who are afraid of heights.

-Some big and eye catching for the skyline.

-Something pretty at night to look at (the light package is gorgeous)

-A more thrilling and open-aired sky tower for the rest of us (the views you get on the thing are out of this world.)

Things it's not:

-A white nuckle thrill ride (although I've went with a handful of people who were terrified at the top).

It's not incredible by any means, but it's nice to have.

Also, of the few times I've seen it stuck, it has never been up there for over 10 min. I've only seen it stuck maybe 3 times max, and that's of the 50+ times I've been there since it's opened (one of them was because of a power outage).

Everyone expected big things for 2016 because it's the 40th anniversary but we have come to know CF doesn't care much about adding something great on an anniversary year. Not many expected VF to get much in other years. I don't think I see some kid rides and a windseeker as so much more than a water park expansion, a completely renovated area of the park, and some kids rides. CF may be doing more with WoF this year but that's just a few extra family flats.
Believe me, I hope something big comes to both parks soon. I just got back from a trip to Minnesota over a week ago, and I was astounded by MOA down the road. I'd love a reason to go back, but right now VF doesn't give me that because they don't really have anything too impressive that isn't in my backyard already.

In certain areas of the park, yes. There are other areas where Flying Cloud Airport's location would not prevent them from erecting a 300' tall structure.

Then again, what would Cedar Fair build in a park that tall that I'd wanna ride...? *scratches head* Oh forget it! Let's just say they can't build that tall anywhere in the park ever. Yup! That's my answer.

In certain areas of the park, yes. There are other areas where Flying Cloud Airport's location would not prevent them from erecting a 300' tall structure.

Then again, what would Cedar Fair build in a park that tall that I'd wanna ride...? *scratches head* Oh forget it! Let's just say they can't build that tall anywhere in the park ever. Yup! That's my answer.

Can and will are two different things. Up above you bragged about PT. I'll take Detonator over PT any day. At least you get a pop of air at the top of Detonator. PT is extremely boring for a Space Shot and not much better on the Turbo Drop side.

I get it. You're a fan boy of VF and that's cute. However the ride selection is bigger and better at WOF. There is not a single attraction at VF that does not have an equal (if not better) attraction it can be compared to at WOF - and the sad part is that even covers Haunt.

Edited by PhantomPoster32