TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I wonder how Valleyfair would look dripping in Christmas lights. Have they ever done something like a walkthrough light show or a Christmas in July type of event?

And it looks like Mount Olympus is getting a skyscreamer before Valleyfair gets a windseeker (if ever). But it looks pretty short compared to other skyscreamers, so Valleyfair could probably top its height without much trouble.

And it looks like Mount Olympus is getting a skyscreamer before Valleyfair gets a windseeker (if ever). But it looks pretty short compared to other skyscreamers, so Valleyfair could probably top its height without much trouble.

This is not a trend VF needs to hop on.

I wouldn't mind a skyscreamer, but I would hope that the company isn't thrilled about adding more troublesome windseekers to the lineup.

While I agree that the windseekers in Cedar Fair's parks have had issues, I don't want Valleyfair to be left out of having a ride type that many people expect parks like it to have. Although it seems odd Mount Olympus also beat Six Flags Great America in getting one. But I will probably eat my words if Mount Olympus takes theirs down after a year.

I love this so much. Thanks VF15 for screen shooting (That is the verb for taking a screen shot) and Valleyfair for doing this.

nph-jpeg_5.jpg

I wonder how Valleyfair would look dripping in Christmas lights. Have they ever done something like a walkthrough light show or a Christmas in July type of event?

I think it would be interesting, and I'm sure it would look amazing (I'm imagining Corkscrew's corkscrews being decked out in lights). I would definitely go check it out, but I'm not sure if it would be popular enough to warrant the cost of all the lights/employees/electricity. However, if Bentleyville (That light walkthrough in Duluth) can do it, VF *MIGHT* be able to pull it off, but I doubt that it will happen. It just doesn't seem like something VF would do.

This is not a trend VF needs to hop on.

I wouldn't mind a skyscreamer, but I would hope that the company isn't thrilled about adding more troublesome windseekers to the lineup.

VF wouldn't need one much bigger than the one that was added to Adventureland in Iowa. Funny you say that they are troublesome as that park didn't experience any downtime that was worth noting.

I think it would be interesting, and I'm sure it would look amazing (I'm imagining Corkscrew's corkscrews being decked out in lights). I would definitely go check it out, but I'm not sure if it would be popular enough to warrant the cost of all the lights/employees/electricity. However, if Bentleyville (That light walkthrough in Duluth) can do it, VF *MIGHT* be able to pull it off, but I doubt that it will happen. It just doesn't seem like something VF would do.

A Christmas event at Valleyfair would be interesting. Seeing the place decked out and lit up for Christmas would be nice, and it would be a way for the park to make some more money during the offseason. I'd be interested in seeing what they'd offer for a Christmas event. However, this time of year, the weather might be a pull factor because it gets very cold at night (even if you're bundled up, it would still get miserable after a while). Also, they wouldn't be able to run the rides because they can't operate at temps under 40 degrees (correct me if I'm wrong), and even if they could, it would probably be very uncomfortable to ride. Despite that, I'd still probably go for the sake of visiting VF in December.

I believe most of the issues the WindSeekers had are gone now. Mondial and Cedar Fair worked on getting the problems fixed, and most of the WindSeekers operated quite flawless this year, although minus the Kings Dominion one since I heard that one had some long downtime. Even SteelHawk ran well after being moved to Worlds of Fun. The Adventureland Windseeker model would work well for Valleyfair since they really don't need a giant 64-person gondola. I'm all for parks adding these to their lineups. I know I feel much more secure on them than the SkyScreamers and they offer a much higher capacity. It all depends on the park if they want to purchase one or not, although I've heard there is another park or two that are looking to order a WindSeeker.

It's probably the year-end GM meeting. I have a feeling the GMs discuss how the parks did for the season, what's going on for 2015, possible future plans, etc. It's really nothing major, just boring corporate stuff.

The parks are pretty much getting plans rolling for the 2015 season as I've heard applications have started to go out to potential returning seasonal employees for the parks. Once January hits, it'll be almost 4-5 months for most parks before opening day arrives, which really isn't that big of a time frame now that 2014 is almost done.

^

I've seen Valleyfair's parking lot get almost completely full on a few Saturdays in July. They could probably use the amphitheater, the grassy areas near Route 76, and probably relocate a few rides to make room for expansion within the park and not use the parking lot. I think that they will use some of the lot as expansion room soon since valleyfairfanatic said there was a rumor going around about that. However, Dinosaurs Alive is between the parking lot and the park midways, so I'm not sure how they would create a way to get to whatever would be new there, but I'm sure they could figure it out.

Also, does anyone know when they will release the 2015 operating calendar?

163222528_Screenshot2014-12-13at7_40_41AM.png.89890f589d2139e21cd919296b455843.png

Can I laugh at how few people are using the "VIP parking"? Maybe they should offer it as a season pass upgrade?

It gets used.... the parking lot isn't even half full in that photo, so it makes sense that nobody chose to pay for it at that time of day. Also the concern with it being a season pass upgrade is the insane amount of season passholders that the parks have these days.

Anyone know if they plan to expand / build an additional / or remodel the old changing rooms? The new lockers were a welcome if pricey additions, but on busy days there can be a bit of a wait for the private stalls on the mens side, at any rate. Of course to knock on Mount Olympus again, they don't have any private changing stalls there, so that's one area Valleyfair is better at. At Mount Olympus I'll usually resort to changing in a gross toilet stall.

Anyone know if they plan to expand / build an additional / or remodel the old changing rooms? The new fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo were a welcome if pricey additions, but on busy days there can be a bit of a wait for the private stalls on the mens side, at any rate. Of course to knock on Mount Olympus again, they don't have any private changing stalls there, so that's one area Valleyfair is better at. At Mount Olympus I'll usually resort to changing in a gross toilet stall.

I have actually never been in that changing room, but if people really do have to wait for the private stalls, then they should probably add more, especially with all of the extra traffic Soak City will be getting next year.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I'm hoping for a Chance Hyper GT-X in the near future because I've seen Lightning Run pop up on several users' Top 10 lists, and a Top 10 coaster at Valleyfair would be a dream come true . I've hear rumors that Cedar Fair might want to put one in at Michigan's Adventure, and if they did, hopefully they could do the same thing here. Yeah, it wouldn't have any inversions, but I think we all know that you don't need inversions to have a great coaster. Plus, even thought coaster enthusiasts aren't VF's main audience, a Hyper GT-X would probably attract a lot more out-of-state enthusiasts than a B&M invert (it would have to be a really unique invert IMO). I think this video sums up why I'd want one...

Oy... The wheel squeaking in that video. But really though, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of these pop up in the Cedar Fair chain, of course with different layouts that fit with each park. I did hear that the coaster budget for 2016 was going to be split between a couple of the smaller parks and we really haven't heard anything solid for 2016 besides a couple wishful thoughts. At least the Michigan's Adventure rumor has something behind it, while the other big parks really don't have much since there's usually rumbling around this time about planning and such. I guess with Banshee and Fury, they sort of pre-announced those with the tearing down of Son of Beast and Cedar Fair putting in a massive amount of money into Carowinds.

Chance did have a couple layouts drawn up when they were marketing this as a "Hyper Lite," although this one particularly was drawn up like a compact version of the old Morgan hyper coasters.

This video is a really old one from 2008, which they apparently tried to market this as a "Mega-Lite" but well, Chance never went through with marketing these. This one is particularly a very strange layout.

Going back into Chance's YouTube page bring a whole treasure trove of videos, including when they attempted to get into the wind turbine market.

Nothing really has been floating around for Valleyfair though. If CF is indeed splitting up the coaster budget for 2016 for a couple of the smaller parks, then I can see something coming in for Valleyfair. What it could be though, that's the thing that will make it hard to determine. I know for sure what a few things it won't be (as much as I know you guys want one, I REALLY doubt a B&M Invert will be heading here) but any coaster that can fit into a $8-10mil budget would work well here. And a Chance Hyper-GTX would be one that would work well, as well as a Vekoma SLC.

Yes, yes, yes, I know that as coaster enthusiasts you guys hate that idea, but well, gotta look at it from the market and GP perspective. It'll cover a giant coaster hole that hasn't been filled here at this park. I'm sure you guys will also say that there were other B&M inverts that were around $14mil like Patriot, but you gotta remember that price was from 2006, which would be around $16.5mil if they were to rebuild Patriot today. OzIris was around $15mil for just the coaster and that was a fairly small invert and from the reviews, was rather lack-luster. Sure Cedar Fair said Valleyfair was one of the parks that they said was going to be one of the ones that was a key expansion market, but I can't see them spending $16.5mil on a single coaster for the 2nd smallest park in the chain. Something more reasonable, like a SLC, would fit well with the park. Now what SLC it could be though, they could decide to go with one of the non-standard layouts and throw on the new train design. We've all seen what CF can do with a freshly built SLC (it has been stated by several people that Thunderhawk is one of the best and smoothest SLCs) so it's not out of the question.

^

While I see where you're coming from on the SLC statement, I don't think it's a likely scenario. With the exception of World's of Fun's Boomerang back in 2000, all of the Cedar Fair Vekomas were acquired in park buyouts. Someone did suggest a while back that CF should relocate Flight Deck from CW to VF, but what's the point of relocating a 20-year-old SLC? Maybe a new SLC wouldn't be that bad since some have said that the newer ones don't try to murder you. Still, I can think of a bunch of other realistic coaster choices I'd rather have before an SLC.

Wasn't aware until now that the 2016 coaster budget would be split among the smaller parks. Good to know.