TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Night of Thunder 3 Announced!

Night of Thunder 3 Flyer

All,

Night of Thunder 3 has been finalized. The specifics are below. The price is a little higher than last year because the park is now requiring us to pay for the Thunderhead ERT. We will also have 30 minutes of ERT on Timber Tower. During our group meal, the park will have representatives on hand to discuss the new for 2007 coaster Mystery Mine. The flyer will be released shortly.

Hope to see you there!

Chris

Night of Thunder 3

September 30th, 2006

8:30am- Registration

9:00am- Park opens

TBA- Group Meal

TBA- Group photo in front of Thunderhead

7:00-7:30- ERT on Timber Tower

7:00- ??? ERT on Thunderhead

Prices:

Season Passes

RW member $30

Non member $35

Regular Admission

RW member $60

Non member $65

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the park is also making ACE pay for ERT, I would imagine their event will be in the same price range. Their last event was $55 if I remember correctly. I thought the $5.00 increase was pretty reasonable considering the ERT cost ($500).

This event is small enough where you could easily marathon Thunderhead and Timber Tower with no lines.

Oh well, you can't please everyone!

While I appreciate people putting on these events, being a college student, I can't justify paying $65 when I could pay $40 (with discount) and get ERT in the middle and ends of a regular operating day on Thunderhead anyways. It also hurts that hotels in that area are really expensive.

-Bryan "marathoned Thunderhead during 'peak season' and loved it "Wood

Oh well, you can't please everyone!

In all seriousness, I was really hoping this event would be cheaper, especially since I won't be going to the ACE event in Nov

- Joe, who will do like Bryan and just pick some random day to go... I've never seen Thunderhead more than a 2 train wait anyways.

Well, for someone like me who lives accross the country and would love to get as many rides as possible on one of the best woodies on the planet, this event sounds awesome. I would gladly spend a few extra dollars to be garanteed ERT with a small group than to take a chance of it being busy on a regular visit or go to the ACE event with 5 times as many people.

I hope to be going myself but I still have to wait a bit before I will know for sure.

Justin "I think Rideworld is great" Saxe.

The original NoT was great, and I hope to come back for this one.

Though with no vacation time left I won't have the time to drive, and probably shouldn't spend the money to fly.

Then again, the Visa and Mastercard fairies are whispering in my ear to book that flight to ATL.

Proximity that someone lives to the park does play a high factor as to the decision some people will make to go to an event, but I really don't think it's a fair reason to critisize Chris for the cost of the event. If you can go on your own on a day that's not busy for cheaper, GO FOR IT!

That doesn't make Chris' event bad or even expensive, it just makes it "not for you."

--Robb "Exactly the reason why we want to position our Mid West trip towards our international readers." Alvey

ps. Remember that the face value of a one day Dollywood ticket is $47.50, so paying $12.50 for ERT, a meal, some inside info on the new coaster, and a chance to hang out with friends at an organized event that someone else went through the effort to put together is NOT a bad deal. And if those things aren't your bag of sugar smacks, then why are you complaining in the first place?

haha, leave it to a jew to think about the bargaining end

That doesn't make Chris' event bad or even expensive, it just makes it "not for you."

Who said it was bad? I dont think anyone said it was, and neither Bryan nor I would have legitimate basis for making such a statement.

If this was an ACE event, and I mentioned it was too much for me, would I be criticized like this?

- Joe, who loves Dollywood, but thinks it is a bit expensive on its own

^^ I said "bad" because I basically assume that anytime someone is dissing something that other people put effort into organizing, and couldn't be bothered to attend for a difference of $12.50 over the face value ticket price, there must be something they thought was not a good value for money. I guess I don't understand the point in criticizing something when you're not interested in going.

Sorry, I guess "bad" was the incorrect word to use....my bad!

--Robb

It also hurts that hotels in that area are really expensive.

Ever stay in the area the area that time of year. Not too expensive at all.

The same hotel I stayed at earlier this year for $39.99 is $59.99 that night. Might not seem like a big deal, but I'll just be recovering from shelling out money for books and tuition.

I'm not bashing the event, I too, was hoping it would be a little cheaper. I was hoping to attend because I heard good things. I was just hoping I could go, I wasn't trying to cheapen the value of the event. $65+$50-60 for hotel plus gas just isn't going to work for me.

-Bryan "guess I'll have to wait until April" Wood

It seems to me the point Robb is trying to make - and maybe I'm wrong - is that we are literally talking about less than 20 bucks. I don't believe anyone can "afford" to go for 47.50 but not "afford" to go for 60.00. And even though I'm sure bashing the event wasn't anyone's intention, it did come across that way. I personally know Chris puts a TON of his own time and money into these events and I'm sure it is frustrating on his end when it seems someone may be criticizing one of the events he worked hard just to make happen at all.

Oh, and Paul, those stupid credit card fairies have been whispering to me also. If I go, I'll be flying into the ATL also to spend a day at SFOG. We'll have to meet up if it works out for both of us

Whoa. Didn't know that SFoG would be open that Sunday. Catrina has been kicking me in the crotch all summer to go there.

Interested in a carpool?

What can I say? He created a monster! The only SF park I haven't been too thrilled with is SFMM. I even liked SFA!

But then again...I've liked every Vekoma ride I've been on! (Including the SLCs!)

I'm thinking Dollywood might be on the to-do list this fall...

The wife and I may be down for this event. You guys could always make that a full size suv and we'll jump in on your way past Dalton towards DW.

In fact, I might even be able to arrange some accomodations for a small group of us near the park. I got friends who live in the area. I could give 'em a call and look into this.

It looks like we will be flying into Nashville as it is much cheaper than Atlanta from Portland.

Tentative plans:

Fly out early Friday morning.

Sight-seeing in Nashville Friday afternoon and evening.

Dollywood-NoT3 Saturday

SFOG Sunday

Fly home Monday.

I totally understand the college student with no money situation. I was definitely there once. Especially now since gas is so high, I can understand how the extra money could put a student in a pinch with school approaching.

As far as event costs, more and more parks are moving away from the "free ERT" that clubs used to get due to the high cost of staffing the coasters before and after park hours. Its just something that the event planners have to factor in their event cost. At first, I was just gonna eat the ERT costs but after examining the books, I have spent a HUGE amount of money on RideWorld this year and I couldn't justify the extra $500 for the ERT. If I raised the club dues or start running pop up ads, I am sure I could cover the ERT. But since the site, the club, and the events are a labor of love and not a source of income, I WILL NOT resort to counting on the site to generate large amounts of revenue.

Our events are usually attended in small numbers which allows for truly fantastic ERT sessions. That is a blessing and a curse because if the events were heavily attended, I am sure the parks would work with us more. But, we have to play the hand we are dealt and I do it because I love the hobby. I honestly like having small events and seeing the "usual suspects" who we have grown quite fond of! (you know who you are!)

Chris