TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Why does it say "add X2 for $10" At Great Adventure you get EVERY major ride for the same cost.

Great Adventure also doesn't have X2. You really don't know that they wouldn't make a ride like X2 an extra $10 because it's not there. Each park is going to have their own take on this system because they all have a different selection of rides.

I would say that something, possibly an earthquake, wind, ect., moved the outer rail, which controls the seats, up or something UNEXPLAINABLE!!

If I were you I'd notify Jay Thomas IMEDIATLY!!!

OMG... its only a matter of time now before giant guinea pigs overrun mankind in epic proportions.

I'm.. so.... startled!

Why does it say "add X2 for $10" At Great Adventure you get EVERY major ride for the same cost.

Great Adventure also doesn't have X2. You really don't know that they wouldn't make a ride like X2 an extra $10 because it's not there. Each park is going to have their own take on this system because they all have a different selection of rides.

No, but even during KK's opening year, it was on the Q-bot. And then capacity probably wasn't much better than X2.

^ One thing to notice is how clean it is. Seriously. Not even like it used to be.

Eric

I'll second that. Walking down from Viper on Saturday I saw a management type stop to pick up a scrap of paper that was no bigger than a bottle cap. You have to look hard to find trash any more.

Anyone that hasn't visited SFMM in a couple seasons will be very pleasantly surprised by the turnaround this park is making. While last season's WCB was our best visit ever to the park, a regular operating day visit in late June was also very enjoyable. Much more so than in our previous visits over the past many summers. Neal Thurman said it best when he opened the gates at WCB '08 with the line, "We're back, and we're better than ever!" The park really is back to being a worthy destination. I look forward to it becoming even better in the coming years.

^ One thing to notice is how clean it is. Seriously. Not even like it used to be.

Eric

Yeah I noticed that too.

Everytime I see Jay walking around he is always picking up trash if there is some. I though that was interesting. And they have become more attentive to customer service. Getting a lot more hellos and such.

And I can understand $10 extra for X2. They need to make more money where ever they can. Support the parks you love unless you want to possibly lose them.

I feel the the $10 upcharge on X2 is needed, especially with how relatively inexpensive the FlashPasses are at SFMM. When you compare SFGAdv and SFMM in terms of capacity, the only thing X2 can be compared to is Kingda Ka with regards to popularity and type of queue. Both coasters have split stations. FlashPass users only utilize the right side of the station at KK (right?) but still have to wait a long time once they are inside the station because it's basically a one train operation once you are waiting there. The line before the station split at KK moves in a fair pace because there are 4 stations for them to use. Now I could see SFMM having FlashPass users only use 1 side of the station but they would be making their regular queue guests wait longer because only 2 stations are there. KK's capacity is also about 300-400 persons HIGHER an hour than X2's. It all comes down to numbers.

When Kingda Ka is running at full capacity, it can pull 1200-1300 riders per hour; theoretical is 1400. When X2 is running with 2 trains, it pulls maybe 900-1000. If SFMM could learn how to operate X2 with 3 trains, I could see them potentially eliminating the $10 upcharge because the wait would be severely reduced. 1400-1600 an hour, which is what it would do with 3 trains, is almost as good as many Disney attractions.

^ I can guarantee you that running three trains on X2 does not do anything for capacity because the trains do indeed stack. Last year at the ACE Day event, they ran all three for nighttime ERT, and stack they did.

Eric

I actually think it's GREAT they've included it as an option. I know that if I were coming in from out of town and I didn't want to have to deal with the running of the bulls, I'd just pay the $10, get my ride in and be done.

It makes your day a lot easier. For locals who know when to go and how to ride it without waiting, or don't have to ride it EVERY visit, I can't see many people buying the upcharge. But your once every year or couple of year visitors why not?

BTW, Kingda Ka does some amazing capacity when the ride is up and running. And especially when it runs all four trains!

--Robb

I actually think it's GREAT they've included it as an option. I know that if I were coming in from out of town and I didn't want to have to deal with the running of the bulls, I'd just pay the $10, get my ride in and be done.

--Robb

I think it would be even better if they also sold single rides on X2 straight up without the Flashpass. I probably wouldn't pay it unless I took a newcomer with me but in many cases time is money to me. I'd have no problem with them making pure profit off of the unique attraction that they have.

BTW, Kingda Ka does some amazing capacity when the ride is up and running. And especially when it runs all four trains!

--Robb

I guess I should have clarified, I was throwing in the down-time in my post, which was alot the day we were there. We had the "Gold" Q-bot and the ride didn't open until 11am, and then when our time came, it broke down twice in our relatively short "Q-bot" line.

It worked out though because we were able to get on Superman, GASM, Mine Train and Medusa without using the Q-bot while we waited for our time.

For those interested...

SFMM employees are describing the new Flash Pass: Regular as $15 rental fee + $19/person. That means a rental fee does exist, but has been included in the prices displayed. Gold is obviously more than $19.

Also, is anyone aware of SFMM's online meal vouchers? They sound like an awesome way to pre-budget food costs for a trip to SFMM. But that site is contradicting the info new employees are provided which is that online meal vouchers can only be redeemed at Wascal's, Waterfront, Cyber Cafe, Collossus Cookery, Suzette's Bakery, or Red Eye's Kitchen (Hurricane Harbor). The site shows vouchers can be bought for Papa John's & Johnny Rockets as well as ColdStone. So...new employees might be confused & surprised by this, but this is even better news for the guests (you guys)!

They're very easy to use as well. Just pre-buy online, and bring your printed-out vouchers to be validated at Guest Relations, and then bring them to a place that sells what you bought (i.e. Hamburger meal voucher would be taken to a location that sells hamburgers). No more "OMG Food is expensive!!!" surprises.

If I'm thinking this right... with a regular Flash Pass, say there's a 90-minute standby wait for X2. The system reserves your boarding time for 90 minutes later (i.e. whatever time you would have been waiting anyway), and you go do other things for an hour-and-a-half and come back?

Dan "Has only ever used FastPass and that crappy Freeway system at CP" Smith

Hey everyone! I have posted a new Terminator update here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=715260#715260

It also includes a few other park updates like Flash Pass, Deju Vu opening etc.

Once again, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep your Terminator discussion in THAT thread and any other general park comments here.

--Robb