TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

How ironic. The best Flying Coaster and the best Stand-Up Coaster have insane wait times yet simple loading procedures.

X2, IMHO the best 4-D coaster, has about half the load time than either of those. And its so complex!

I can't vouch for Riddler's crew but I can see Tatsu not having the quickest wait time. Other than the fact that SFMM ride crews don't always seem to be as organized as they could be, flying coasters aren't quick loading by any means. Look at any of the Superman flyers, they tend to dispatch after the second train has been sitting on the transfer for a little while.

One thing Tatsu has that X2 doesn't have are leg flaps. And just closing those (and usually have to open already closed ones because super bright GP decide they want their feet in front of the flaps) on each seat nearly doubles the time it takes to check the harnesses.

^^^I'm aware of the train situation. Part of the slow moving line is the guests, but the major part is the crew not being motivated.

^^ 3 train operation on Riddler is a thing of the past. 1 train was sent to GAdv for Green Lantern. Seems it must have been a parts donor as Green Lantern has 7 car trains and Riddler's trains have 8 cars.

On the subject of Riddler, I don't know if this has happened to anyone else. But last time I rode it back in September, the g-forces after the dive loops started to take a toll on my lower body, particularly my legs. After the Midcourse brake, My legs were in pain nearly the whole time and I kept trying to position my legs so they wouldn't be absorbing all the force. Has anyone else experienced leg pains while riding Riddler?

The third train that was sent is for a third train on gl and not for parts the ride will run 3 trains.

And as for flyers I worked at gadv as a rides supervisor and what ever section I worked in I would get very mad if there was any trains stacked and when superman was in my section I told the crew that the train better be dispatched by the time the train hit the service breaks. And our goal was 32 dispatches an hr. We where also able to creep trains almost every train. The only hold up we had was train errors, pin motors, and no radio that would slow us down. Other than that we where hitting at least 1200 an hr.

I don't think anyone outside the park knows 100%. Unless someone can say different, there's been all sorts of different stories to running both types of cars from the start to having both running backwards for the first 6 months then switching back to one of each.

Personally I don't see the point to the old cars anymore. The ride wasn't popular with them- which is why they're making the change. It would be totally counter-productive. Unrelated: if it were me, I would have reclined the seats 45 degrees so that when the car goes vertical, you're facing more straight out like a traditional freefall ride.

[_\_\_\_\_>

I'm not sure they could even launch the old cars backwards in terms of them having a lap bar. I know the launch isn't that drastic, but I have visions of people wacking their faces on the seat in front of them.

^^ Actually, even with just a lap bar, the launch could be reprogrammed to not have a "burst" of speed at the start, but to take off more slowly and gain speed more gradually. Whether that would use more power is unknown, but it would reduce the possibility of a "faceplant" upon dispatch.

But they're being safe rather than sorry with the new cars.

Eric

I don't think anyone outside the park knows 100%.

We do now. I just confirmed with Neal over at SFMM that both sides will be going backwards.

Oh thank God, my OCD was getting out of hand about having mismatched sides. I was afraid that if both sides didn't go backwards, at least from the start, then MM wasn't really planning on running both. It would be cool to turn the old cars into some sort of themeing. It would also be cool to own a Ferrari, and one seems about as likely as the other.

They were actually testing an old car on the right track last weekend. I don't think they'd be doing that if they didn't have plans to keep using it. Has anyone seen a new car tested on the right track yet, or just the left?

How high up the tower was the old car going?

I don't think anyone outside the park knows 100%.

We do now. I just confirmed with Neal over at SFMM that both sides will be going backwards.

Thanks for the heads up Robb! This makes me very happy. The thought of them running two different cars on the track would seem very awkward looking and ugly IMO but i'm glad we dont have to worry about that.

They were actually testing an old car on the right track last weekend. I don't think they'd be doing that if they didn't have plans to keep using it. Has anyone seen a new car tested on the right track yet, or just the left?

How high up the tower was the old car going?

Same as what we have seen the new car do in testing...up into the red zone, but the car was completely empty. It still doesn't give us any insight as to what SFMM will allow the cars to do once they go live with the public.

Not necessarily. I remember during X's transformation, they continued to test the old trains, even after the paintjob. It is very possible that not only they make sure the new trains work, but they operate as seemlessly and as identical as the old ones. The best way to do that is to test them side-by-side.

I bet that SFMM got the idea of running cars backwards on Superman at WCB 2010 during the Q&A session. I remember when Tim Burkhart read a question card aloud that said "Would it be possible to run Superman backwards?". Then he said "I am not even going to answer that". Maybe that is what got SFMM the idea of retheming Superman and running cars facing backwards.

^ I'm reasonably sure that the thought of launching Superman backwards goes all the way back to when it opened. Many times over the years I've wondered what that would be like, never even imagining that they ever would.

Eric