TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Also, I dont think the ride is bad at all! Medusa is basically the premier ride at SFDK, and its basically the same thing. Because Scream is at a park full of monsters, I think that lowers peoples opinion of it. Any mid-size park would drool over having a Scream clone. .

I think Medusa is WAY better than Scream.

I think Medusa is WAY better than Scream.

I agree. Medusa is a great ride...and Scream just isn't (imo). It's not just the smoothness, Medusa has a great first drop and what I really like about it is that it's "spaced out" more than Scream. All of Scream's inversions seem too close together, and Medusa's are more spread out making the ride more smooth, enjoyable and unique.

^I <3 Riddler's last corkscrew.

I was looking through "The RCDB Thing" the other day, and I stumbled upon that XLR-8 at SFAW had the back 4 of its cars switched backwards during Fright Fest. Even though SFMM already does this with Colossus, I'd love to see them do that on Ninja!

I don't think people criticize Scream because of its surrounding area (if its parking lot coasters you hate, then point out Goliath an Colossus) I think its a mixture of several things. The layout/intensity factor is rather lackluster for a park that is loaded with intense rides. Every MAJOR coaster packs some type of punch, whether it be Riddler's last corkscrew, Tatsu's pretzel, Goliath's helix, taking the tunnel, X's 1/2 twist, or Deja Vu's first drop, Scream doesn't have any amazing characteristic to it that makes the ride stand out. Then its located in the far corner of the park with nothing else to draw people back there but another low ridership coaster and a Ben & Jerry's, which I'll venture to say gets longer lines then the two rides combined. On top of the layout being less than intense, it offers riders little difference in ride quality than what say, Viper provides, which IMO is a far better sit down looper than Scream, despite the 13 years of operation it has over Scream. Overall. It's not a good ride. You an add fire, music, and cardboard cutouts of "who the hell is THAT guy?" status superheroses, but it's not gonna change the fact that Scream just isn't that good.

I still ride it every visit because it has no line.

All very very true. But for me, being the only floorless coaster other than medusa, I think its a great ride. (And yes, the line does make the ride oh so much better.)

It may not be intense as the other rides, but I enjoy it for the shear smoothness. Its not my favorite ride there, I just think its underrated.

(And thats good because it keeps the lines short...)

^^^You honestly just summed up every feeling I have about that ride, I'm impressed.

I could also care less about the parking lot theme, I actually really liked Medusa at SFDK even though it's similarly themed, the fact is that Scream is just not a very interesting ride.

Edit:^I don't find Scream to be "sheer smooth..." but you really can't complain since it doesnt have a line

I don't know why you guys are talking about the scenery. When I ride a coaster, I like the ride better than the scenery. But hey, that's me;) I agree with most these people, Scream is a good ride..if there's no line. I could go a day skipping it because really, its just a tame, sort of rough B&M.

Scream! certainly wont be in the debate anytime soon for best coaster in Magic Mountain, but lets not forget that there's 15 other roller coasters in the park. Would we like it to be smoother? Of course we would, but its a good ride if you don't let the roughness bother you too much, even though sometimes that seems impossible. I liked Scream! for as rough as it was. Its the parks only floorless coaster and we'd probably appreciate it more if it was at a smaller park than Magic Mountain. I certainly wouldn't mind having Scream! at my home park. Its not that its a bad ride, its just not up to par with a lot of the other rides there so it seems a lot worse than it is.

Ya Goliath kind of casts a shadow over Scream! Going to Scream! is certainly a commitment too because of how its tucked back in the corner. Its the only thing there and thats a long walk to go onto the ride. One thing the park could do though is take better care of the que line and the ride exit. When i was there at night, I literally saw 5 rats and 3 giant spider webs. Doesn't really make me want to make the pilgrimage to Scream!