TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I was just looking at a video of Lex Luthor DOD from when it opened and they were coordinating superman so that when the cars reached the top the ones from the drop tower were released and noticed that when the timing was perfect the cars from LL actually went slightly faster than superman's.

Now I remember being discussed why it doesn't feel as "free-fally" (yup, made that up) as other drop rides like intamin's previous ones and someone suggested (which made sense) that maybe because of the wheel assembly (possibly tighter) the drag was bigger and, therefore, it didn't drop as fast.

So this leads me to conclude that what somewhat neutralizes the experience has to be the restraints and so I'll ask: how tight are they?

LL:DOD doesn't use wheels. It's a rail system on which the car "glides." I'm trying to find an up close picture of it. The restraints on LL:DOD I find to be very comfortable.

Ninja backwards would be a great ride.

Which means it won't happen because dreams go to die at SFMM.

True story.

That KERCHUNK noise it would make when it released the car...yeah. Awesome and terrifying.

Haha I remember that sound very well. I would always listen to hear if people screamed, most didn't because it would take your breath away. Haha and the way you'd clunk down almost upside down back to the station. What a contraption that was!!

I am actually more worried about Ninja than Viper. I still need that credit!

I assume suspending coaster costs more to maintain. Ninja can't help SFMM with their total inversion count but Viper provides seven of them. Ninja is hiding behind the mountain so it doesn't contribute to SFMM's coaster sky line.

I don't think Ninja will be leaving before Viper (I don't think either will leave any time soon), and I don't know about the day to day mechanical maintenance costs of a suspended coaster versus a sit-down but as far as up time goes it seems to be just as reliable as Viper (it's almost never down) and I'd bet it has a higher ridership. I'm also guessing that the park would be more apprehensive to replace a coaster in the middle of the mountain than they would on the outskirts because I think it costs more to have one custom built for the terrain.

Personally I like Ninja, it's a fun relaxing ride through the trees, it's way better than the snooze fest that is Draggin' Iron at Cedar Point, that's for sure. Hiyah!

It wasn't very enjoyable to for me, at least the near the end of the ride. Poor Jeff though...

According to RCDB:

Facts: For Fright Fest in 2002 Astroworld reversed the last four cars of the trains and called the ride "8-RLX".

After the XLR-8 was taken down, some, if not all, of the trains were sent to Six Flags Magic Mountain to be used on the Ninja.

Theme: For the 2004 season the XLR-8 was repainted blue and yellow. It was previously blue and gray.

hmmmm XLR8's trains may have ended up at MM??? OMG find those backwards chasis and install it... PLEASE... would love to try Ninja backwards.... LOL

^The 1st generation free falls gave some insane airtime. That video is hilarious.

Especially when you ride with the harness up

XLR8's trains were scrapped for parts. As were two of Ninja's 4 original trains.

I've only tired one 1st gen freefall and, for some reason, I felt more intimidated than when I rode my first drop tower (Hurakan Condor) which is way taller! And yeah, the KERCHUNK is awesome, yet terrible!

^^Yea. Last time I checked, Ninja had 2 operational trains and 1 train in the maintenance area that is being cannibalized for parts. The park received those XLR-8 trains back in 2005 so I wonder how many parts they actually have left.

I'm going to the park next Friday, the 28th. Does anyone have any suggestions on an order of rides now? I feel like with so many new additions to the park in the recent years, it's so hard to decide what to hit first to avoid insanely long lines. I'm thinking about running up to Superman first, going down to namtaB, and then everything else shouldn't be too long. I'm hoping X2 and Full Throttle lines will die down later in the day. I'm curious to know what everything thinks is a good coaster to start the day at, because I feel like all of these are good candidates............Full Throttle, X2, Tatsu, Superman, and now namtaB.

Last time i went X2, Tatsu, and Yolo all had long lines in the morning but died down towards 2ish or so. I'd run to namtaB first since people tend to hit up the front of the park first and work their way back. And namtaB is just one train right?? So maybe namtaB, GL, then Superman to start??

I'm going to the park next Friday, the 28th. Does anyone have any suggestions on an order of rides now? I feel like with so many new additions to the park in the recent years, it's so hard to decide what to hit first to avoid insanely long lines. I'm thinking about running up to Superman first, going down to namtaB, and then everything else shouldn't be too long. I'm hoping X2 and YOLOcoaster lines will die down later in the day. I'm curious to know what everything thinks is a good coaster to start the day at, because I feel like all of these are good candidates............YOLOcoaster, X2, Tatsu, Superman, and now namtaB.

Since it's still close to opening day I'd say to hit Namtab first, that line could be long all day. Normally the best plan is to hit either X2 or YOLO first and whichever one you don't do first come back at about 4:30pm. I'm going the week after and I think we're probably going to do X2 first followed by Namtab and then hit YOLO in the afternoon.

It is a little interesting that Namtab is in the far NW corner, X2 is in the far SE corner, and YOLO is right smack in the middle.

I'm going to the park next Friday, the 28th. Does anyone have any suggestions on an order of rides now? I feel like with so many new additions to the park in the recent years, it's so hard to decide what to hit first to avoid insanely long lines. I'm thinking about running up to Superman first, going down to namtaB, and then everything else shouldn't be too long. I'm hoping X2 and YOLOcoaster lines will die down later in the day. I'm curious to know what everything thinks is a good coaster to start the day at, because I feel like all of these are good candidates............YOLOcoaster, X2, Tatsu, Superman, and now namtaB.

Since it's still close to opening day I'd say to hit Namtab first, that line could be long all day. Normally the best plan is to hit either X2 or YOLO first and whichever one you don't do first come back at about 4:30pm. I'm going the week after and I think we're probably going to do X2 first followed by Namtab and then hit YOLO in the afternoon.

It is a little interesting that Namtab is in the far NW corner, X2 is in the far SE corner, and YOLO is right smack in the middle.

What the hell is Namtab?