TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm really hoping it won't be an Intamin drop tower. They aren't really high capacity for a ride that would surely get a ton of popularity. S&S combo towers have better capacity, and longer ride time!

Have you been on either of these types of rides??? I can't imagine anyone wouldn't want an Intamin drop tower. They really are about the most insane drop tower you can get.

And as far as capacity goes - Doesn't the Kings Dominion version of the Gyro Drop hold like 56 people??? Yeah, you would need to build FOUR S&S towers to get that capacity.

^^Intamin Gyro drops hold 40 people per cycle....seems decent to me. Not to mention I had some insane airtime on Drop Tower at KI

Are you sure there isn't a bigger model? I'm pretty sure the Kings Dominion one is bigger. Let me see if I can find it...

EDIT - Found it...

Brave Drop Zone riders take their position in one of the 56 seats that encircle the huge tower. With their backs against the 305-ft. tower, riders are perched on a single seat with no cage or metal enclosure surrounding them. Anticipation builds as they face the crowd of on-lookers. Their feet dangle. Suspense mounts as the powerful shoulder harnesses lock into position.
Edited by robbalvey

^^Well I've been on the gyro drop at KI, and the 2nd gen at CGA. I wholeheartedly prefer the Intamin Drop Towers. The drops produce massive amounts of airtime compared to the S&S, and I have been on 5 turbo drops. I don't know what exactly it is about the Intamin, maybe the cars are much heavier, and its an actual freefall compared to S&S controlled drops, but whatever it is, I think they are much more fun and thrilling.

I hope they get an Intamin one, Knott's down the road has a S & S tower already. I hope they get one with seats at different angles like Huracan Condor at Port Aventura, though a Gyro Drop looks like fun too (I've never been on a Gyro Drop).

^^Intamin Gyro drops hold 40 people per cycle....seems decent to me. Not to mention I had some insane airtime on Drop Tower at KI

Are you sure there isn't a bigger model? I'm pretty sure the Kings Dominion one is bigger. Let me see if I can find it...

EDIT - Found it...

Brave Drop Zone riders take their position in one of the 56 seats that encircle the huge tower. With their backs against the 305-ft. tower, riders are perched on a single seat with no cage or metal enclosure surrounding them. Anticipation builds as they face the crowd of on-lookers. Their feet dangle. Suspense mounts as the powerful shoulder harnesses lock into position.

I was going off of Intamin's spec sheet from their site but yea I forgot KI's is the 56 seat model you're correct.

Was the one at SFKK actually demolished in 2008 or was it taken apart and put into storage? Since SF seems to be on a recycling kick recently, just wondering if anyone knows what happened to it? It would be my hope that SF buys new, and gets the 305 version. Also wondering if the location of Freefall's former spot might work better? Love that spot by Ninja though, that is a specatcular idea. If they can keep DC characters in one general area it would be nice, might want to change that name from Movie District to something else. The only ride there that even vaguely references a movie is Riddler, from the campy era of ill-conceived Batman movies.

Once Deja Vu is gone, very dissapointed in SF for that move, but at least they could work on that general area as the next large location for redevelopment along the lines of Gotham. Bring in something all ages appropiate, or mid-level like SFDK's Pandemonium, etc. Plenty of space there to configure that part of the park into a new standout area.

They also still need to tackle some of the lack of shade issues in several of the lines.

Never been on an Intamin next Gen giant drop but I can say that based on their older models they are more intense. The difference is that even though the S&S models are "launched" downward, they do not continue to accelerate past the initial drop. Also they are a fixed cable system meaning the cables are permanently attached to the cars which creates drag and a more controlled drop. Intamin drops have always been drag up and drop models, and experience a complete and true freefall.

Also the intense sensation everyone is describing comes from the extended acceleration experienced while riding after about 1.5 seconds in. S&S's begin to decelerate much sooner and don't acheive the same speeds as their Intamin counterparts.

They used to really launch Turbo Drop at Buffalo Bills, but I don't even know the last time that one has run now! One of the mechanics explained it to us at a park once. Basically when you hear the air tanks charge (either on a shot or drop) the longer after that the the ride goes the less intense it will be. Take a note next time you ride one, it's pretty interesting.