Photo TR: 22 Days in China with TPR

UPDATE--Chap. 22: Hong Kong Disneyland
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: 22 Days in China with TPR

Postby ernierocker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Another great update! It had to be relief to ride so many legit coasters after all the knock-offs. :)

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:43 pm

^The Dive Coaster was good (Dive Machines usually are), as was the Booster Bike, and I thought the 10 Inversion Coaster wasn't as rough as its British cousin.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:18 pm

I remember the Half Pipe being quite brutal for me in 2008. I did really like this park a lot, and am glad to see it's still being kept in good condition.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:45 pm

^It was the spinning that got to me. Our section wasn't full, so it was a bit off-balance.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:52 am

Chapter 17: The Chinese Knott's Berry Farm?--Chuanlord Holiday Manor

We next spent the afternoon at Chuanlord Holiday Manor, a park which presented a nice contrast with Chimelong Paradise. If the latter is the Chinese version of a "good Six Flags park," the former could be looked upon as the "Chinese version of Knott's Berry Farm"--a good, quirky regional park that emphasizes local culture and history (much like KBF, with its Ghost Town and Fiesta Village, mirrors the history and culture of southern California).

Everything about this park says "old China," from the sampans on its lake to the rustic interiors of the shops and restaurant to the natural, somewhat tropical landscaping. It's nice park for rambling around and taking in the sights. While the attractions are not exactly "world class," there are some interesting offerings:

Ghost Ship Gothenburg--This was my favorite haunted walk through of the whole trip; and, in true Chinese fashion, it "strains" the restrictions of copyrights held elsewhere. The preshow is a video using music and footage lifted from Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean movies and the 1960s version of Mutiny on the Bounty (Marlon Brando even shows up in a few segments). I'm sure that other seafaring movies were plundered, as well. After the preshow, guests are ushered into the next chamber. Some are allowed to tour the ship, while others sit in the dark and listen to various scary sound effects before moving on. The tour itself consists of the pop-up haunted-house gags you'd expect, along with well-hidden live actors who aren't shy about whacking you with feather dusters and brooms as you walk by. The last part is a simulated storm, complete with a rocking floor and waves crashing against a window. We did this one twice, and they added an extra surprise at the end, which actually startled me a bit! This was the single best attraction in the park.

Gliding Wing--This was a zipline contraption using a pair of gondolas that held three or four people each. You get some nice views of the park as you glide over the lake.

Animal Show--This is the one time I've actually regretted missing a trained animal show. You have to love any show that features a goat and monkey balancing on a stool on a tightrope--or features an elephant slapping the crotches of volunteers from the audience with his trunk! (Dan has some video of this.)

We also got our Jungle Mouse and Sliding Dragon fix for the day at this park, as well as another one of those bizarre spinning coasters where the car looks like a flying saucer or a washing-machine agitator (see chapter 1). But, alas, the Golden Horse Spinning Coaster and the looping toboggan were down for maintenance. Such is the coaster enthusiast's lot.

We had a great dinner at this park, too--which included that TPR favorite, Mr. Fish.
01.jpg
As you can see, already quite a contrast with Chimelong Paradise.
02.jpg
The park's attractions are pretty well hidden by the vegetation. The park is fairly large, too.
03.jpg
Shouldn't the first sign on the lower left read "Passway of the Disabled Person"?
04.jpg
You are greeted by your lunch almost immediately.
05.jpg
These boats are actually dining rooms for a restaurant. We didn't eat in them, though.
06.jpg
Watch your step! (This area was later roped off and traffic was diverted around it.)
07.jpg
Like I said, there was a Knott's Berry Farm vibe to the place--only in Chinese.
08.jpg
Knott's has boysenberries. Chuanlord has mildly suggestive eggplants.
09.jpg
We were all afraid that we wouldn't get our Jungle Mouse fix for the day--thank god we found one!
10.jpg
The queue needs 30 minutes for what?
11.jpg
Everyone breathed a little easier after this. It's hard going "cold turkey" when you're a Jungle Mouse addict.
12.jpg
Those hooked on Sliding Dragons were satisfied, too.
13.jpg
"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, /A tale of a fateful trip . . ."
14.jpg
And now, the weirdness truly begins.
15.jpg
Oh no! They're stuck! Oh, the humanity!
16.jpg
Where there's bamboo, there's hope!
17.jpg
Hooray! Bamboo can fix anything! It's the Chinese duct tape!
18.jpg
"Always put your trust in bamboo, my American friend."

"Thank you, o venerable, wise giraffe."
19.jpg
The buildings and vegetation hid quite a few rides and attractions.
20.jpg
"Yes, I'm legal and fully licensed, citizen."
21.jpg
My best guess is that this is a lizard in a top hat. On the right. Just to make sure that's clear.
22.jpg
"Where's the restroom! I need it bad!"
23.jpg
Judging by the funk and mist emanating from that door, the bull found the toilet.
24.jpg
I remember when Busch Gardens Williamsburg had one of these. It was near where the entrance to Apollo's Chariot is today.
25.jpg
Oh dear lord.
26.jpg
Yep--another "looping toboggan." But it was out of commission.
27.jpg
Robb checked to see if the ride would open, but no luck (thanks for trying, Robb). Whether this was good or bad fortune is, of course, subjective. More to come.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 am

Here's one last look at Chuanlord Holiday Manor, home of Mr. Fish.
28.jpg
Hmm--appears to be some activity going on down there.
29.jpg
This map may offer a few hints as to what's being built.
30.jpg
The park had a huge go kart track.
31.jpg
I'm not sure if these horses were available for hire or just used as part of a show. Some guy was riding one around the construction zone earlier that day.
32.jpg
"No, I do not poop chocolate like that donkey at Efteling. Please quit asking me."
33.jpg
"No, nothing resembling candy is produced by my bowels--have you asked the bull?"
34.jpg
Thar be a ghost ship, sez I!
35.jpg
Can ye not read the sign, swab? Cursed be he who enters!
36.jpg
Best Chinese-English sign ever.
37.jpg
You can make it even scarier if you book in advance--that might be worth checking out if TPR returns to Chuanlord someday.
38.jpg
It be too late to alter course now, mates.
39.jpg
Arr! Man the windlass, you scabrous dogs!
40.jpg
These women will catch you a fish for a fee.
41.jpg
Here's the zipline thing.
42.jpg
It's sort of a "suspended funicular."
43.jpg
The mysterious ship beckons to us once again!
44.jpg
You can get very nice views of the park from this thing.
45.jpg
Yes, you can see things you never would have noticed from the ground.
46.jpg
Heading back.
47.jpg
Yes, it did get a little damp that afternoon.
48.jpg
There's nothing more relaxing than watching fish while you urinate.
49.jpg
"Please! No pictures! Thank you!"
50.jpg
Welcome to the restaurant with a speech impediment.
51.jpg
How the place got its name. There was a story behind this, but I've forgotten it.
52.jpg
Mr. Fish did not die in vain.
53.jpg
No, he died in China.
54.jpg
"Next time folks, you should definitely eat me! I'm delicious!" That's all for now.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simon8899 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:48 am

The queue needs 30 minutes for what?

You shouldn't be so airy about the english translations - german in US parks is mostly even more horrible... ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Another great update, especially the fish at the end. It looked really good!

"No, I do not poop chocolate like that donkey at Efteling. Please quit asking me."

I could only imagine how big the 'prizes' would be coming out of that!

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Mr. Fish was quite tasty, indeed. In fact, this was probably the best Chinese meal we had after we left Chendu (and before the very nice Cantonese dinner in Hong Kong). I knew absolutely nothing about Chuanlord before we got there, and was very pleasantly surprised by the park.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Why would you need counseling?

Love the sign for the Ghost Ship that says you will get fined if you take their intellectual property.
03_249.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive