Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Your help is needed to make this a reality
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"
User avatar
 
Posts: 10833
Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Location: Northridge, CA
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Postby Jew » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:51 pm

hillflyer wrote:
Jew wrote:Famous last words..."Investors are waiting."


That reminds me of an article on historic landmarks a :shockr: San Diego Architectural magazine did in 1980 when mentioning the the Giant Dipper: "Now there is talk of restoring the roller coaster. There always is.". Not to mention a whole bunch of other Doubting Thomas opinions and look what happened. Unnecessary comments are so easily dismissed. Sorry.


I’m certainly not an expert, but I would imagine that the cost of building a pier in California alone is not cheap, let alone building and operating the ride. Hope your mysterious investors have deep pockets—-if they even exist.
Image

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 22 Sep 2018
Gender: None specified

Re: Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Postby cycloneracer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Jew wrote:
hillflyer wrote:
Jew wrote:Famous last words..."Investors are waiting."


That reminds me of an article on historic landmarks a :shockr: San Diego Architectural magazine did in 1980 when mentioning the the Giant Dipper: "Now there is talk of restoring the roller coaster. There always is.". Not to mention a whole bunch of other Doubting Thomas opinions and look what happened. Unnecessary comments are so easily dismissed. Sorry.


I’m certainly not an expert, but I would imagine that the cost of building a pier in California alone is not cheap, let alone building and operating the ride. Hope your mysterious investors have deep pockets—-if they even exist.
It's about a $70M project. That includes the pier 14 rides plus the coaster. I'm one of the investors myself.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"
User avatar
 
Posts: 10833
Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Location: Northridge, CA
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Postby Jew » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:03 pm

It cost $8 million in 2013 to rebuild a small section of the Santa Monica pier. $70 million seems very low for 14 rides and a pier from scratch.

Galveston’s pier cost $60 million, and I can only imagine it’s less to build in Texas than California.
Image

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!
User avatar
 
Posts: 604
Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Gender: None specified

Re: Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Postby hillflyer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:04 am

Jew wrote:It cost $8 million in 2013 to rebuild a small section of the Santa Monica pier. $70 million seems very low for 14 rides and a pier from scratch.

Galveston’s pier cost $60 million, and I can only imagine it’s less to build in Texas than California.


With you there. The size of the pier over the water appears daunting, and probably more difficult to push through than the roller coaster!

However, the building of such piers haven't been outlawed and still new ones pop up from time to time.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 14659
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:40 pm

So you need people to annoy the city over a project that may or may not even be viable that's guaranteed to be way over budget that's raised no money, has no land, has no realistic plan and is basically just an enthusiast pipe dream with zero chance of ever happening?

You should reach out to ACE. This sounds like it's really in their wheelhouse. It ticks all the boxes.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!
 
Posts: 612
Joined: 27 May 2007
Location: Central NJ native; Northern DE resident.
Gender: None specified
Age: 36

Re: Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:13 pm

While you're at it, you should fund the American Dream project in NJ...just about as much chance of actually happening, no offense.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!
User avatar
 
Posts: 604
Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Gender: None specified

Re: Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Postby hillflyer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:42 pm

coasterbill wrote:So you need people to annoy the city over a project that may or may not even be viable that's guaranteed to be way over budget that's raised no money, has no land, has no realistic plan and is basically just an enthusiast pipe dream with zero chance of ever happening?

You should reach out to ACE. This sounds like it's really in their wheelhouse. It ticks all the boxes.


Plenty of word is being spread through the coaster community but I decided to post it on here anyways.

The City is annoyed by simply having to deal with their jobs anyway, let alone one singled out project.

I see no skin off anyone's nose to at least back someone up and respect that he's devoted himself to get the project this far all by his self.

And if it doesn't pass through any future approvals, a head can hang in shame while you celebrate at theTeam "I told you so" Happy Dance.

T
Last edited by hillflyer on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:47 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 14659
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:44 pm

Have you considered reaching out to Prince Desmond?

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!
User avatar
 
Posts: 604
Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Gender: None specified

Re: Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Postby hillflyer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Wow. What I've heard about this site is true. Full of cynical haters.

I don't get how you can be on here and be so eager to disapprove of everything that doesn't have to do with you.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!
 
Posts: 612
Joined: 27 May 2007
Location: Central NJ native; Northern DE resident.
Gender: None specified
Age: 36

Re: Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:57 pm

It's not that we're all "cynical haters" (though I'd probably not disagree with the cynical part), it just that we've seen these kinds of massive expense projects come and go. They're either way over budget, reliant on government assistance (tax breaks, etc.), massively delayed, only open an extremely small portion of the original plan, and/or never open at all. Or, some combination of the above. See the Orlando Skyplex, American Dream, Atlantic City anything, that wonky Noah's Ark-themed park, etc.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron