TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Can launches replace the lift hill?

Have a little read through this:

http://www.themeparksofengland.com/features/launch/launch.htm

Interesting I thought, it would be cool to remove a lift hill and replace it with a launch, just as an experiment.

Although IMO lift hills will be around for as long as coaster will be, well all the first ever coasters built were wooden and 100 years on wooden coasters are still being built, they didn't get rid of wodden coasters becasue they were old news, they just built different types of coasters (steel), so the same really for lift hills, they ain't old news, its just there building different types of starting coasters(launched). If all coaster were launched there would'nt be any excitement in them.

Although he has a good point about Rock 'n' Rollercoaster & Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris, they are launched coaster which have a long coaster layout where as Stealth, Kingda Ka, Top Thrill, Xcellorater, Rita etc are all designed around the launch, but then all of these are made my Intamin and all them leave you buzzing at the end! IMO would like to see more launched coaster with a long layout.

What do you lot think about this?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Chain lifts will always be around, just that it has gotten steeper recently to reduce the space it takes up as coasters get taller. In the article it states that there's no family-friendly launch systems. The writer is wrong. There is one already out there- the Vekoma Booster Bike. Vekoma also promotes a Family launched coaster as well: http://www.vekoma.com/rides_fam_coasters/family_launch_coaster.htm

Given the reliability of the Intamin hydraulic launch system, I don't think the chain lift will be going away soon.

Chain lifts will always be around, just that it has gotten steeper recently to reduce the space it takes up as coasters get taller. In the article it states that there's no family-friendly launch systems. The writer is wrong. There is one already out there- the Vekoma Booster Bike. Vekoma also promotes a Family launched coaster as well: http://www.vekoma.com/rides_fam_coasters/family_launch_coaster.htm

Given the reliability of the Intamin hydraulic launch system, I don't think the chain lift will be going away soon.

The magnetic launch systems work quite well, and the hydraulic launch would work better if there was more room for error, AKA 3 mph difference won't make the train not complete it's course.

I think we'll also see more lifts like California Screamin' where magnets bring the train up the hill slowly and smoothly.

But yeah, I think traditional chain lifts will always be popular with speed/hyper/mega coasters as the anticipation to such a great height is a major part of the ride experience.

I believe several companies are now looking into family launched rides. I don't think I would particularly like to see lift hills disappear. I don't even know that I like the idea of throwing faster lifts on rides, especially woodies. I don't think a launched woodie would be that great actually, just a very novel idea, but I think it'd look strange without the lift hill, and it just wouldn't feel like a woodie. More like a steel coaster with an identity crisis.