TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

So if your map is true, the cleared land is the entirety of that portion of the train ride which is a huge area. That's exciting to hear! However, they weren't clearing that far back during my visits. Doesn't mean it's not happening. (There was some minor clearing when I was there at the back but it was very minor and might just be backstage area)(you can see access roads being cut in the back on my photo but they could just be for storage of the equipment)

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

I don't see them expanding all the way back into the loop...mostly because they've said it's a 5 acre expansion, and from my measurements that wouldn't reach. What's throwing us off a bit is the officials saying it will be located near the Thunderhead roller coaster and the parking area.

As construction continues, permits are pulled, proposals presented to the city, etc we will start getting a better picture of what to expect. It's just exciting that we're finally getting confirmations of something we've been suspecting for a long time.

What I'd personally like to see is potentially a train station added on that backside to make it easier on people to get to/from Country Fair.

So 5 acres, 8 new attractions and water play areas...That sounds to me basically like confirmation of a new Kid/family friendly area in 2019. Kids are probably the only group who will be able to make the hike all the way up there anyway lol. It's definitely a solid addition. I do wonder if there will be any kind of second entrance into the park up there or that could be where DreamMore guests enter.

Edited by BlahBlahson

In this photo here, I can see the new area being where the service road is now.. you can see a new road being possibly built beside the parking lot. (That could always just be access for the clearing) This would put the area behind Thunderhead (it's technically there anyways, the entire area, even the Mystery Mine portion is being TH) and beside the trestle for mystery mine.. so I can see that being true3c7ec1c6603740b3198d146294514298.jpg

So 5 acres, 8 new attractions and water play areas...That sounds to me basically like confirmation of a new Kid/family friendly area in 2019. Kids are probably the only group who will be able to make the hike all the way up there anyway lol. It's definitely a solid addition. I do wonder if there will be any kind of second entrance into the park up there or that could be where DreamMore guests enter.

That's what I'm thinking, too. Five acres isn't that big at all. I don't see how you could fit eight full sized rides, water play areas, and restaurants on a five acre piece of land.

The restaurants and stuff "might" not be in the new area. The might be leading up to the area. Fine acres is a lot of land for flats and possibly a dark ride. I don't expect there to be a big ride like coaster until after the expansion... I can see a new coaster in 2020.

The entire area they are working on is much larger than 5 acres so this is probably a multi year expansion

5 acres does rule out the snow park theory I had unless 5 acres is just the start! Her snow park was supposed to be 114 acres (although it also included a water park, most waterparks are around 50 acres so 50is acres for the snow park)

Eli, 5 acres is roughly the size of the Grand Expo at SDC. They can do a really good children's area with that amount of space.

Yeah. I see something like Fireman's Landing. Maybe five small kiddie rides, and then three family sized rides. I don't know what they could possibly get though. Herschend seems pretty fond of Zamperla.

Here’s my thing though. They just added a family, well kids coaster and a thrill ride (that could’ve went into the new area but fit better in Timber Towers spot). So, would they really go all out for a kiddie section? The last time they had one was the treehouse area where barnstormer is that my mind can’t seem to name. I mean they have Country Fair, I just personally feel like the Mystery Mine/Thunderhead end is where your thrill rides just somehow seem to fit.

I see it being a mixture.. I see there being one or two thrilling flats like the country fair has and then a few kid flats.. I see a large ride eventually and the area expanding even more.. Dollywood is a family park, like Disney.. all of the lands at Disney have a variety of rides, fun for all ages.. We are just lucky at Dollywood and they throw in some very thrilling rides here and there.

Just because they built the new kid coaster there doesn't mean they shouldn't build more kid rides on that end of the park.. heck, it might of been the plan

Dollywood needs, desperately, a dark ride.. The summers are hot and dark rides can be for the entire family, and give you a place to cool off.. Six Flags Over GA just got a new one last year and we all know how competitive Dollywood can be with other area regional parks (even if they don't look like the are competing). A dark ride would fit nicely with the "8" other rides and attractions being built and would takup a small footprint.

I'm still hoping, even though small 5 acres at this point, we see the ski theme pop up in the new area.. the survey a few years ago mentioned snow themed.. another rumors site heard rumors it was a ski resort being built (we all know there is no way a real ski resort is being built there), another rumor site heard in park cabins (fits the ski themed). Plus Dolly had a snow park planned and in development.

The survey also mentioned a carnival theme. While I don't see a carnival theme due to them already having a fair and the fair area is now more of a carnival area due to not really having anything fair related anymore. Just keep in mind 5 acres is perfect for a carnival theme. The carnival them might also be a circus theme which would fit bur again rides very similar to the fair area (the survey made it sound like both)

(Yes fairs and carnivals are different, carnival rides are smaller scale and carnivals don't always have the local feel fairs do, with the fair type activities BUT the country fair area at Dollywood doesn't have fair type activities anymore anyway. The pavilion there is always closed so unless Dollywood fixes the country fair I don't see it being another carnival)

It also mentioned a fire theme.. That would fit perfectly especially considering one of the rumored access points for the new area is the road behind fire chaser, and Silver Dollar City has a fire themed area (probably around 5 acres)

There was one other theme mentioned in the survey but it somehow got deleted out of my notes

And heck it could be completely different from all those

I could see a hyper going in this area eventually to be the star attraction. Maybe not for 2019 but I could see it by 2021. I also wouldn't be surprised if it was from B&M. Staying safe with a manufacturer that has a long track record of quality rides after the huge amounts of downtime Lightning Rod has had. But just my humble opinion.

This will continue to be a fun project to keep an eye on over the next few years. Its not often that American parks outside of Disney have the opportunity to add such a huge new expansion. Looking forward to my next Dollywood trip!

Anyone got word on season passholder day? It appears from the website that it is opening to the pubic Friday the 16th.

I called the other day and they told me it would be open to everyone this year, but passholders get to go in earlier.

INDOOR ROLLER COASTER!? Consider me PUMPED. I love indoor coasters, and DW/SDC have such an awesome track record of intensively themed indoor attractions. This is awesome news.

Also glad to hear of a frisbee coming to the line up. Solid additions.

The indoor play area confirms that this will indeed be part of DW's take on Fireman's Landing at SDC. I knew that was going to be worked in somewhere, they are always predictable in that. And if DW is getting a new indoor coaster, that means SDC will get one down the road too!

I'm super late to this thread and catching up on comments.

Eli, 5 acres is roughly the size of the Grand Expo at SDC. They can do a really good children's area with that amount of space.

Anyone know how big that area with the scary little ferris wheel and the disk-o is?

we're looking at our 1st trip to Dollywood in a few months, and will book at the DreamMore resort, with 3 day DW tix. ....am I going to need to get a rental car?

Knoxville is the closest airport. Nashville, Chattanooga, Lexington are all 2-3 hours. Not sure of your airline preference but Nashville, is the cheapest of the three. I live in Chattanooga and know there is a direct flight to DFW from there. Shoot, depending on the timing, I could give you a ride.

Bert - I would highly recommend getting a rental car because there is a ton to do in Pigeon Forge and nearby downtown Gatlinburg is a trip! You'd be missing out on part of the experience. Pigeon Forge has a massive strip kind of like Myrtle Beach, SC (if you've been there) with all kinds of things to see and do. The drive alone to Gatlinburg is only 15 mins from Dollywood and is very pretty. Too bad our trips won't overlap!

Keeny - Such a nice offer to pick Bert and Nick up! I can vouch that Bert isn't a serial killer and a really great guy. You'd be making a friend for sure. TPR people are the best!

Anyone got word on season passholder day? It appears from the website that it is opening to the pubic Friday the 16th.

I called the other day and they told me it would be open to everyone this year, but passholders get to go in earlier.

I just called and was told that pass holders could get in at 9am, and they didn't know when the public could get in. I assume 10am if the website is right. I hate they are doing away with the whole day, I really enjoyed the low crowds and discounts they offered last year.

The article at https://www.pigeonforgetnguide.com/blog/things-to-do/dollywood-expansion-2019/ has been updated with pics of the blueprints as well as an updated placement of the new expansion. Does this look somewhat accurate? It appears the walkway to the new area will be located near where the Mystery Mine tracks cross the walkway.

dollywood-expansion-location.thumb.jpg.59d4236eec5137048b214e71e227e6c5.jpg

dollywood-expansion-map.thumb.jpg.2284c3c40daedb44c69462c5dcc195f5.jpg

dollywood-expansion-map-2.thumb.jpg.bd18187fab7df6186e8075218b7ca036.jpg

What rides do you see?

dollywood-expansion-ride-1.thumb.jpg.6e0fd1759cbc79e516ce172d75075f4b.jpg

dollywood-expansion-ride-2.thumb.jpg.2bbb205b4e1efff9d417e909b9fa489d.jpg

Any guesses as to what the tube structure is with the large fans pointing into it??

INDOOR ROLLER COASTER!? Consider me PUMPED. I love indoor coasters, and DW/SDC have such an awesome track record of intensively themed indoor attractions. This is awesome news.

Also glad to hear of a frisbee coming to the line up. Solid additions.

The indoor play area confirms that this will indeed be part of DW's take on Fireman's Landing at SDC. I knew that was going to be worked in somewhere, they are always predictable in that. And if DW is getting a new indoor coaster, that means SDC will get one down the road too!

As long as Dollywood can maintain those themes! While they intensively theme, they have a record of letting their themes decay due to lack of maintenance.. Elments not working year after year on Mystery Mine, Elments not working on Dare Devil Falls, while they updated the track in Blazing Fury, they haven't done much else.. poor speakers, out of sync audio, broken arms, raggy clothing on the characters and so on.. that type of stuff wouldn't fly at Worldwide and National Theme Parks.

Also, they don't seem to have a good track record of play areas either.. the empty building in the fair grounds (used for Santa and that's it now) used to be a great indoor are with Legos and other play themes.. Adventure Mountain replaced with fire chaser (and now adventure mountain type places are all over the area).

Hopefully this new area will be an area of pride for them and elements on the indoor coaster (if that rumor is true) work longer than the first year (I am looking at you mystery mine). Hopefully the indoor play area won't turn into another abandoned building in 10 years or so. And finally, hopefully the flats area won't decay like the fair.. "Scary looking Ferris Wheel" is correct!

The article at https://www.pigeonforgetnguide.com/blog/things-to-do/dollywood-expansion-2019/ has been updated with pics of the blueprints as well as an updated placement of the new expansion. Does this look somewhat accurate? It appears the walkway to the new area will be located near where the Mystery Mine tracks cross the walkway.
It looks right except for the new pic posted by WBIR.. while it's hard to tell where that pic was actually taken, the curve in the track does look like the new area is going all the way back to the bend.

But your blueprints put it right where you have it marked lol

Your large fan blueprint maybe a bobsled type ride? Snow machines? Or maybe it's an indoor bobsled type ride and the fans keep the tubes cool so ice doesn't melt? That theme in the survey a few years back (I know I keep saying that)

It looks right except for the new pic posted by WBIR.. while it's hard to tell where that pic was actually taken, the curve in the track does look like the new area is going all the way back to the bend.

But your blueprints put it right where you have it marked lol

I think the pic WBIR posted is a bit deceiving with a wide angle lense, because I think it's taken from the small access road in about the middle of the parking lot and not back farther in the bend....in their vid is another pic where they backed up a bit and you can see pretty much where they took the pic from and where the clearing is at.

notice the opening that has the small pine tree to compare the 2 pics

dollywood-expansion-wbir.thumb.jpeg.ea69d83c7e17552e0ded3865297a5cdc.jpeg

1442117575_Dollywooddevelopment_1520309849019.jpg_13497981_ver1.0.jpg.d60ece9ff8fd5a956d26b5317ddd4ab5.jpg

wbir-location.thumb.jpg.0aa96c0275efd366491a9f4dd93be5f4.jpg

Location of WBIR's photo

Edited by ASE

Ah man, the actual blueprints deflate the earlier reports just a bit. So the pendulum ride is not a frissbee, but a pirate ship. And the coaster isn't indoors, that's just the ride envelope or something shown around it. It actually looks like a family suspended?

Lots of interesting stuff here though. Some good family rides. Hard to deduce the theme.

Ah man, the actual blueprints deflate the earlier reports just a bit. So the pendulum ride is not a frissbee, but a pirate ship. And the coaster isn't indoors, that's just the ride envelope or something shown around it. It actually looks like a family suspended?

Lots of interesting stuff here though. Some good family rides. Hard to deduce the theme.

"Enclosed" is the phrase we're hearing.......

I agree, from the blueprints it looks like it's enclosed in a tube like structure.. one blueprint makes it look like a water coaster similar to Splash Country. That's why I think a bobsled type ride wouldn't be to far out of the question.. now, what are those giant fans! Snow machines? Part of the themeing to make a heavy wind! To keep the structures surface cool?