TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Smurf's Enchanted Voyage

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing an 'ok' pov of the PKD version online somewhere. I don't know anything about a PKI version. Was it a flume ride as well?

Great, now I want to see pictures/video as well.

I guess you could say it was a flume ride.. yeah.. It's where Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle is now.. I havent been to PKI since 2000, so I don't know what that ride is like.. I have a feeling it's probably the same type of ride..just different theming.. but then again, I really have no idea!

I remember it being where Top/ Bill is now (well, the entrance building was there) I was too young to remember everything about it, but I definately rode it once>.> Its a water ride, but I forgot if there were drops, so I wont say its a flume....

Jared"Top Cat/Scooby Zoom/Little bill is now know as Top Bill Dragster"Becker

I remember it being where Top/ Bill is now (well, the entrance building was there) I was too young to remember everything about it, but I definately rode it once>.> Its a water ride, but I forgot if there were drops, so I wont say its a flume....

Jared"Top Cat/Scooby Zoom/Little bill is now know as Top Bill Dragster"Becker

Yeah, I remember there being one tiny little drop.. like, we're talking maybe a 5 or 10 foot drop.. hahah

Hello! I've enjoyed this website for a while and finally registered so I could reply to this topic.

I remember this ride----I went to the park back in 1988 and it rained all day long. This was a boat ride, kind of like "It's a Small World", and the loading station was one of those turntable platforms that are common on rapids rides. The load was outside, and the flume went inside a showbuilding (you entered the building through a tunnel with colored lights and Papa Smurf greeting you with "Have a Smurfy Day!). The Smurfs themselves were simple figures----sort of like the character animation used for displays at the Disney Store. The Smurfs were doing all kinds of things, and of course, we run into Gargamel (a large figure). There was no mouth animation on any of the figures----I remember not being very impressed by this ride. We did take pictures, but for the life of me, I don't know where they are! There was a tiny drop at the end.

This ride was originally a Hanna Barbera ride, which I never experienced. I have read that the "drop" in the old ride was in a carnival section of the old Hanna Barbera ride.

By the time I got around to revisiting King's Island (1996, I think) the park was renamed "Paramount's King's Island" and the Hanna Barbera stuff really took a backseat to Nickelodeon (I loved the Hanna Barbera stuff as a kid, so the park did not feel the same anymore to me). The Smurfs were gone and the non-Hanna Barbera "Phantom Theater" dark ride replaced it (now, of course, Scooby Doo resides there and Hanna Barbera Land is no more).

Hello! I've enjoyed this website for a while and finally registered so I could reply to this topic.

I remember this ride----I went to the park back in 1988 and it rained all day long. This was a boat ride, kind of like "It's a Small World", and the loading station was one of those turntable platforms that are common on rapids rides. The load was outside, and the flume went inside a showbuilding (you entered the building through a tunnel with colored lights and Papa Smurf greeting you with "Have a Smurfy Day!). The Smurfs themselves were simple figures----sort of like the character animation used for displays at the Disney Store. The Smurfs were doing all kinds of things, and of course, we run into Gargamel (a large figure). There was no mouth animation on any of the figures----I remember not being very impressed by this ride. We did take pictures, but for the life of me, I don't know where they are! There was a tiny drop at the end.

This ride was originally a Hanna Barbera ride, which I never experienced. I have read that the "drop" in the old ride was in a carnival section of the old Hanna Barbera ride.

By the time I got around to revisiting King's Island (1996, I think) the park was renamed "Paramount's King's Island" and the Hanna Barbera stuff really took a backseat to Nickelodeon (I loved the Hanna Barbera stuff as a kid, so the park did not feel the same anymore to me). The Smurfs were gone and the non-Hanna Barbera "Phantom Theater" dark ride replaced it (now, of course, Scooby Doo resides there and Hanna Barbera Land is no more).

Yep! Thats 100% true.. so now that we've put that out there.. anyone have any pictures??

Good Lord, I rode this thing with some friends at Winterfest; as Eros of Plan 9 from Outer Space would say, that was "eons of your years ago." Don't remember much, except that it was freezing that night, and we rode for the warmth of the building (not of the Smurfs).

I will look for my pictures, although, I think I have more from the original theme, which was the Happy Land of Hanna Barbera. However, I do have a random story to share about the Smurf ride days, if I may share it.....

I live in Cincy, and grew up going to the park. In my late teens, there were lots of great concerts in the ampitheater (Timberwolf) and one of them was Cyndi Lauper. This is right when she was at her most popular and myself and two girlfriends got dressed in our 80's Cyndi attire and headed to the park. The show was at about 8, so we had plenty of time that afternoon to ride the rides. We decided to go on the Smurf ride. I was dressed pretty funky, with double layers of neon colored anklets and white pumps on my feet. These were attracting a bit of attention so as I was walking across the exit bridge as we were coming off the ride, I made a comment about my socks and shoes attracting attention, and kicked my foot up just a bit. Well, I have kinda wide feet, so my shoes are always a bit loose, and especially with these nylon neon socks. As I kicked my foot up, my shoe flew off my foot, over the rail and landed within inches of the water/boats. An employee saw this and went across to retrieve my shoe. I met him at the end of the exit ramp, but he refused to give me my shoe. Instead, he walks me out in front of the ride where they have a bench with stone Smurf and Smurfette statues. He made me sit down, and he got down on one knee and put my shoe back on my foot, Prince Charming style!!! I handed my camera to my friend, so she could take a picture, but she was so busy laughing that she took the picture backwards.... all I got was a big blob of her face!!!

Sorry to ramble, but this made me laugh because I hadn't thought about the ride ("La, la, lalala la.....") for a while!!

Shari "Cynderella" Shoufler

Shari, I'd love to see pictures of the old Hanna Barbera Enchanted Voyage-----I've only seen a few on the Internet.

I grew up Birmingham, Alabama, so the park my family would go to was Six Flags over Georgia. My grandparents live in Indianaoplis (and now my parents live in Louisville) so we made a couple trips to King's Island over the years. My parents got the two parks mixed up, and on our 1988 trip, they were upset that the Smurf ride replaced the Okefenokee Swamp Ride (the Okefenokee Ride was actually at Six Flags and had been replaced by the Monster Plantation years ago-----they were very confused).

Might be a bit older than most here, but I used to love the Enchanted Voyage - Before the Smurfs theming. As a kid, the five foot drop coming out of the building was a huge thrill. As an older, more annoying kid we used to pick out the security cameras and discover the places where we could splash other riders unnoticed. And at the end, you could stand up and bat the foam-covered clown teeth that threatened to close on you as you exited...

Found these lyrics after some searching...

On the way in, the animatronic snail would welcome you with "Hello! Welcome to the Enchanted Voyage. I sure hope you enjoy the ride! Have a Huh-Huh-Happy Day!"

Cue music, and the blessed air-conditioning...

Cartoon friends and funny faces

Jinx and those little meece he chases

Ant Hill Mob, the Wacky Racers

Live in my TV

I'm friends with Fred who yells out Yabba Dabba Dabba Doo

Bosom Buddy Barney too.

And Scooby Dooby where are you.

I love that mumblin' bear

I laugh at him until I hurt

And when it's,

Bananna Splits

You don't eat them for dessert

Bistle Hound is not a stranger.

He saves Lambsy when in danger.

Yogi Bear outsmarts the ranger

All in my TV

Those happy friends who live in my TV.

Those happy friends who live in my TeeeVeee-EeeeEeee-EeeeEeee

Flippy

• 1 year later...

I used to LOVE this ride. It was always the place to go to cool off when it was really hot. I enjoyed the boat ride soooo much more than Phantom Theater. It was like you were entering another world when the boat would go through the entrace to the inside of the building. It actually started on the outside and then went in. I have always wondered what they did with all the smurfs that were inside there. It'd be awesome to have one. I don't really remember the ride before the smurfs but someone in my family rode it because I've got a couple of pictures of it before it become the smurf ride. Here they are. Excuse the quality, they're 70's polaroids.

• 3 weeks later...

The Enchanted Voyage was my favorite ride on my early visits to Kings Island as a small child. I also enjoyed the Smurfs Enchanted Voyage and Phantom Theatre, but not nearly as much. Does anyone have any pictures? Those booklet scans were quite a refresher. I definitely remember the elephant with the hammer gag now that I'm reminded of it. I basically remember an essentially 2-D image of Scooby and Scrappy on the back of a whale fishing, which moved up and down at an angle. I also remember the carnival at the end of the ride. Before entering it, a yellow wall with a gaping clown maw laughed at the rider, its teeth appearing ready to slice the rider, which terrified me the first time through, only to see the teeth stop laughing and stay open for the boat to enter. Upon entering, a model giraffe in a cage hung its head before the rider, which invoked my fear of heights. I always wondered what happened to the giraffe. My fascination for this ride kept leading me to demand my parents take me back to it over and over, and obsessing over it when I got home, trying to remember all the different things I saw. At one point, my mind saw it in four basic section, but even as a child, my memory of the first section was pretty much nil. My mom remembered it depicting groups of children. I suspect that may be the Gulliver in Lilliput characters depicted above. I don't remember H-B doing a Gulliver's Travels riff, though.

I don't remember any part of the ride being exterior except the circling up of the boats at the front that signaled to me that the Smurfs Enchanted Voyage must be a revamp of the ride I remembered.