TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dive Machines? What are your thoughts?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reviewing the Sheikra B roll footage shot in HD by the park. The front chain dog is for the main lift. The offset one in the middle of the trian is for the drop chain. It is to the side just a small bit but is noticeable on the video that the two different chains are not in line with each other.

So the front one is for the main lift and the middle offset one engadges the drop chain mechnaism.

• 1 year later...

I'm heading to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Griffon will be my first Dive Coaster and i've been hearing mixed reviews. Some say the drops are insanely intense while others say the drops are fun but not as intense as everyone says. So i'm looking for other opinions.

Griffon was my first and only dive coaster; I thought it was fairly intense. Granted I've been on crazier and bigger rides but when you're in the front row and you're just hanging on the top of the first hill, waiting to drop...it's pretty exciting but it's more aggravating LOL.

I think too it depends on the ride; some can be more intense than others. I absolutely love Griffon and not just for the first drop; it's a great ride in general.

As previously mentioned ride Griffon in the front for the view off of the first "hanging" drop ... it's awesome.

But ride the back for the fun factor as it pop your arse right out of the seat on the first drop and the MCBR drop.

Griffon is a great ride and I was leave it with a smile on my face no matter whether I get to ride once or 10 times in a day. Just a fun, fun ride.

I personally think Griffon's drop is more "intense" than El Toro's, however the OTSRs make it feel, to some, less intense. The ejector in the back row is far longer lasting than El Toro's due to the length difference on the drop. El toro is a bit shorter of a drop, and therefore has less drop before flattening out. The flattening out puts you back in your seat of course.

Try to sit on the left edge. It is by far the best ride on that side due to your position in the immelmans, as well as giving the best angle while travelling over both bunny hills for two very sharp, albeit fairly brief, airtime moments.

Make sure, no matter how long the line is, you get on in both front and back rows. Try out the single rider line if it is busy! You will virtually be guaranteed a left edge seat by going through it, just cant say what row it will be in!

Hope this helps, enjoy my home park!

My first ride on Sheikra I thought the first drop felt very intense,however by the end of the day I had ridden it like 6 times and it definitely was not as intense on the 6th ride.I've felt that way on other visits,first ride intense then not as much.

Thanks! I've actually heard from a few people that El Toro's first drop is much more intense than Griffon's. El Toro's first drop is indeed very intense. Is that statement true?

I've only been on El Toro in the back so I can speak for the front (the airtime is so good back there I've never felt the need to bother waiting for a front seat ride... haha), but I think thats true. The back on Griffon/Sheikra gives some crazy air but its not quite the "Holy #### I'm going to be flung off the #### train!!!" air you get on El Toro. Thats probably thanks in large part to the lap bar.

I will just say that I was pretty nervous the first time I rode SheiKra as I do not like heights or free falls AT ALL. And yes I am a coaster enthusiast. But having ridden 3 vertical drops before it (Mystery Mine, Deja Vu and Hypersonic XLC) I thought it might not be too bad. I loaded in the back row and I was super nervous when getting to the top and riding around to the holding break but as soon as it dropped I got insane airtime and it was not scary at all but a lot of fun. Needless to say I rode it 3 more times that day and it became my number 2 steel coaster!