TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wanna help me plan a US trip?

I'll look into camping sites I could stop at and see what kind of solution I can come up with. Probably not the air mattress, but I'm sure I'll find something more comfortable than sleeping in the car. And you're right, my mindset has been the backpacker's one, remaining from my previous trips. Being mobile with a car does afford me better options.

I'm not just saying this to be negative, I'm being very honest: if you are serious about living in a car, this is not the forum you should be reading for tips. Places like vandwellerforum.com are where you need to be looking. This lifestyle is more akin to homelessness and will need to be approached as such with people who have tips about how to live out of a vehicle safely. This is not Europe, and at this point the rural US' crime rates aren't much different than that of urban areas.

I did consider the road trip from DFW option before, but it's too much of a drive and too many extra days to rent a car, such that it would nearly deplete my budget, which is why I gave up on it, but I'll reconsider.

If you're planning to cut corners by flying Spirit from Dallas to points north, you may end up blowing that money anyhow if/when they cancel your flight. just a warning. Be smart and look at all your options w/re: to rental vehicles.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll look into camping sites I could stop at and see what kind of solution I can come up with. Probably not the air mattress, but I'm sure I'll find something more comfortable than sleeping in the car. And you're right, my mindset has been the backpacker's one, remaining from my previous trips. Being mobile with a car does afford me better options.

I'm not just saying this to be negative, I'm being very honest: if you are serious about living in a car, this is not the forum you should be reading for tips. Places like vandwellerforum.com are where you need to be looking. This lifestyle is more akin to homelessness and will need to be approached as such with people who have tips about how to live out of a vehicle safely. This is not Europe, and at this point the rural US' crime rates aren't much different than that of urban areas.

I did consider the road trip from DFW option before, but it's too much of a drive and too many extra days to rent a car, such that it would nearly deplete my budget, which is why I gave up on it, but I'll reconsider.

If you're planning to cut corners by flying Spirit from Dallas to points north, you may end up blowing that money anyhow if/when they cancel your flight. just a warning. Be smart and look at all your options w/re: to rental vehicles.

Thanks, but the reason I'm asking here rather than in another forum is because the advice I want is more to do with the parks themselves than the specifics of living in a car for part of the trip and the like.

Let's take the mention someone gave for SeaWorld San Diego for instance. Do the rides there justify the 3+ hour drive and the ticket cost? I'm sure Sky Rocket II's are fantastic rides, but if I'll indeed visit BG Williamsburg I'll get to ride one of those, so that's redundant (though I've heard the restraints at SeaWorld are better), I loved Mack's Blue Fire, so Manta could be awesome, but it's slower and has no inversions, so not very likely to be as good of a ride, I haven't loved water coasters, so Journey to Atlantis isn't a big draw for me, and Tidal Twister looks nifty, but not enough to justify the trip. (And while Mako may be great, who knows if it'll be open by May).

Thanks for the warning about Spirit too.

If you loved Blue Fire, Silver Dollar City's Time Traveler is the closest in the US to it.

I actually think you're probably going to be ok, this is a very ambitious but pretty doable trip. I live in the central US and do a lot of road trips, and it isn't as exhausting as coastal people will tell you.

I like the idea of doing just SoCal (Southern California, means LA and San Diego) and then flying to Dallas and renting a one-way car from there to Ohio. I've driven from Missouri to Dallas in one day and from Missouri to Ohio in one day, so it can be done. SFoT > travel day > SDC > travel day > Kings Island > Cedar Point is pretty reasonable. Knoebels is a must, don't miss that.

Look into a membership in KOA, they operate campgrounds nationwide, and often have rates of $50/night or less. With a membership you get 10% off that rate too. We have a membership there and use it every year for camping near theme parks. It's a very safe place to spend the night. I know you think you're good, but the United States is a very dangerous place. Really. I've been to Europe and Latin America, and the US is absolutely the most dangerous country I've been to. I love this country, and there are some great aspects to it, but if all you've experienced is Europe, please please listen to us when we say you need to very seriously consider your safety here. KOA is a good, cheap, safe option throughout the middle of the country. Definitely consider it.

https://koa.com/

Thanks, but the reason I'm asking here rather than in another forum is because the advice I want is more to do with the parks themselves than the specifics of living in a car for part of the trip and the like.

So if I were you, I would concentrate on those nuts and bolts and not fun things to learn about as much as you do what coasters sound good. You're going to need to think about, for example, methods for covering up the windows so you don't get ticketed or acosted by police while in the vehicle if parked overnight as much as you are about QBots.

Let's take the mention someone gave for SeaWorld San Diego for instance. Do the rides there justify the 3+ hour drive and the ticket cost? I'm sure Sky Rocket II's are fantastic rides, but if I'll indeed visit BG Williamsburg I'll get to ride one of those, so that's redundant (though I've heard the restraints at SeaWorld are better), I loved Mack's Blue Fire, so Manta could be awesome, but it's slower and has no inversions, so not very likely to be as good of a ride, I haven't loved water coasters, so Journey to Atlantis isn't a big draw for me, and Tidal Twister looks nifty, but not enough to justify the trip. (And while Mako may be great, who knows if it'll be open by May).

If you just want credits, you can stay in LA/Orange County and go hard at the Castles, Pacific Parks, Adventure Citys, etc. It'll save you time in the car and potentially money. Nothing there is a top ten attraction, and if that's the specific experience you desire, you won't find it.

If you decide the Sea World parks are worth it, start in Texas and buy a platinum pass for SW/BG parks for $132.99 at SWSA. I loved Steel Eel and Great White is a great invert (but you can ride the same thing at most SF parks). The new woodie could possibly be open based on timing. It's really close to SFFT and platinum gets you preferred parking at all SW/BG parks. It might make sense even if you skip SWSD.

Using couchsurfing.com would be quite a bit safer than sleeping in your car. If you are in an area safe enough to sleep in your car, then someone is probably going to call the police if they see you.

As a person who has done crazy, whirlwind trips (the naysayers call them 'death marches') I say go for whatever you like. We can all enjoy parks in different ways. If you make it to Hersheypark and skip Knoebels, you are crazy though. That piece of advice that everyone gives to go to Knoebels is solid. If you buy a CF platinum pass (and you should if you plan to hit all the CF parks on your list) you might as well stop in to Dorney and spend a couple of hours riding all the coasters on your way from Knoebels to SFGAdv. Again, don't skip Knoebels. Dorney's coaster lineup is great, IMO.

Also, if you make it to Hersheypark, use the preview for the night before your ticket is valid. My daughter and I rode all the coasters except the boomerang, with a few multiple rides on our preview night. It was pouring rain the next day, so we boogied over to SFGAdv.

Don't forget to factor in parking at parks where you don't buy a season pass (except Knoebels, which is free!) and tolls (PA Turnpike, I-95, maybe others)

You could easily skip SFA, though I would go just for Superman:ROS if it's on the way. Routes to miss I-95 through DC-Baltimore are available and recommended for your sanity. DC traffic is the worst, and I've driven in every major city on the east coast and the midwest.

It sounds like you won't be budgeting for Fast Lane, Quick Queue, etc. So I'd hit the major parks early to midweek if possible. It may not be an issue in May-June, but some parks are wildly unpredictable in terms of attendance.

Have fun and post your itinerary here as you travel, folks might meet up with you or give more specific advice about parks if meeting strangers isn't your thing.

Worlds of fun (short stay) ---> Silver Dollar City ---> Six Flags St. Louis (short stay) --->

Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom in one day ---->

Kings Island ---> Cedar Point ---> Kennywood ---> Knoebels

Just one way to squeeze in SDC.

If you loved Blue Fire, Silver Dollar City's Time Traveler is the closest in the US to it.

I actually think you're probably going to be ok, this is a very ambitious but pretty doable trip. I live in the central US and do a lot of road trips, and it isn't as exhausting as coastal people will tell you.

I like the idea of doing just SoCal (Southern California, means LA and San Diego) and then flying to Dallas and renting a one-way car from there to Ohio. I've driven from Missouri to Dallas in one day and from Missouri to Ohio in one day, so it can be done. SFoT > travel day > SDC > travel day > Kings Island > Cedar Point is pretty reasonable. Knoebels is a must, don't miss that.

Look into a membership in KOA, they operate campgrounds nationwide, and often have rates of $50/night or less. With a membership you get 10% off that rate too. We have a membership there and use it every year for camping near theme parks. It's a very safe place to spend the night. I know you think you're good, but the United States is a very dangerous place. Really. I've been to Europe and Latin America, and the US is absolutely the most dangerous country I've been to. I love this country, and there are some great aspects to it, but if all you've experienced is Europe, please please listen to us when we say you need to very seriously consider your safety here. KOA is a good, cheap, safe option throughout the middle of the country. Definitely consider it.

https://koa.com/

Thanks. I looked into KOA, but with prices being around the $50 area, I might as well utilize Motel 6's instead, and that's indeed an option on the table for at least some of the nights.

I did really like the idea of starting the road trip from Dallas, which'd let me pick up Silver Dollar City and Holiday World along the way to Cedar Point, but unfortunately renting a car for that long will have me on the edge of my budget, so I'll stick to flying to CLE and starting the road trip from there, after Cedar Point.

Time Traveller is a mega draw for me along with Outlaw Run, but fortunately one of those Mack Xtreme Spinning Coasters will be opening in Belgium in the next year or so, and it'll be much easier for me to get there on a future European trip instead. There are several launch (and even multi launch) coasters as well as several RMC's on my itinerary anyway, so I think I'll just have to do without a visit to Silver Dollar City.

If you’re driving to SeaWorld San Diego to credit whore and leave them it’s not worth it. If you also enjoy animal exhibits and shows and fantastic Sky Rides then you should go.

Again, unless credit whoring is another way to say 'to only enjoy the rides', it's not something I engage in. I'm not going on this trip to pile up as many credits as I can. I'm going on this trip to ride the coasters and flat rides that seem the most enjoyable to me. This is practically a bucket list trip for me, though I won't hit up every single one of the coasters I'd love to get to (a bunch of them are in China and Japan anyway). This trip is more than 90% focused on ride experiences, with a willingness to sacrifice a lot of comfort.

Seaworld San Diego isn't but an hour or so from knotts . . .

True, but I'd rather spend another day enjoying the rides at either SFMM or at Knott's without spending any more money than to get to San Diego. Their ride selection just doesn't appeal to me enough.

If you decide the Sea World parks are worth it, start in Texas and buy a platinum pass for SW/BG parks for $132.99 at SWSA. I loved Steel Eel and Great White is a great invert (but you can ride the same thing at most SF parks). The new woodie could possibly be open based on timing. It's really close to SFFT and platinum gets you preferred parking at all SW/BG parks. It might make sense even if you skip SWSD.

Using couchsurfing.com would be quite a bit safer than sleeping in your car. If you are in an area safe enough to sleep in your car, then someone is probably going to call the police if they see you.

As a person who has done crazy, whirlwind trips (the naysayers call them 'death marches') I say go for whatever you like. We can all enjoy parks in different ways. If you make it to Hersheypark and skip Knoebels, you are crazy though. That piece of advice that everyone gives to go to Knoebels is solid. If you buy a CF platinum pass (and you should if you plan to hit all the CF parks on your list) you might as well stop in to Dorney and spend a couple of hours riding all the coasters on your way from Knoebels to SFGAdv. Again, don't skip Knoebels. Dorney's coaster lineup is great, IMO.

Also, if you make it to Hersheypark, use the preview for the night before your ticket is valid. My daughter and I rode all the coasters except the boomerang, with a few multiple rides on our preview night. It was pouring rain the next day, so we boogied over to SFGAdv.

Don't forget to factor in parking at parks where you don't buy a season pass (except Knoebels, which is free!) and tolls (PA Turnpike, I-95, maybe others)

You could easily skip SFA, though I would go just for Superman:ROS if it's on the way. Routes to miss I-95 through DC-Baltimore are available and recommended for your sanity. DC traffic is the worst, and I've driven in every major city on the east coast and the midwest.

It sounds like you won't be budgeting for Fast Lane, Quick Queue, etc. So I'd hit the major parks early to midweek if possible. It may not be an issue in May-June, but some parks are wildly unpredictable in terms of attendance.

Have fun and post your itinerary here as you travel, folks might meet up with you or give more specific advice about parks if meeting strangers isn't your thing.

Thanks! A lot of great tips.

Google Maps gave me the impression that I could get from A to B along the trip without tolls with slightly less ideal routes. Is that the wrong impression?

This is my current plan:

May 8th TLV->BCN

PortAventura & Ferrariworld. AirBNB stay nearby. Travelling on public transport.

May 10th BCN->LAX

SF Magic Mountain & Knott's. Staying the nights at a friend's place in Studio City. Travelling in a rental car.

May 18th LAX->AUS

SF Fiesta Texas & SF Over Texas, staying some of the nights at Motel 6's nearby the parks. Travelling in a rental car.

May 22-23 Board game convention at DFW.

May 24th DFW->CLE

Jun 8th JFK->BRU

Bobbejaanland, sleeping at a friend's place. Travelling with him.

Jun 10th BRU>VIE>TLV

WIth the "..." section being freeform, where I rent a car for the duration and travel as suits me at the moment, but hopefully getting to most of these parks: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Kings Dominion & Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Hersheypark & Knoebels (I'm sold on it, and not just on the word of mouth here, even the ride selection is to my liking), Lake Compounce & SF New England, and American Dream/Nickelodeon Universe (Yeah, I looked deeper into it, and actually the mix of their main coasters and some of their flat rides is enough of a draw for me to justify the cost).

Maybe I'll visit Kentucky Kingdom & Kings Island, Maybe Kennywood.

Maybe I'll even do the crazy thing and drive some 9 hours west from Cedar Point to SF Great America & Mt Olympus.

I know I won't get to them all due to both the time frame and the budget.

Edited by Melody303

Worlds of fun (short stay) ---> Silver Dollar City ---> Six Flags St. Louis (short stay) --->

Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom in one day ---->

Kings Island ---> Cedar Point ---> Kennywood ---> Knoebels

Just one way to squeeze in SDC.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Google Maps gave me the impression that I could get from A to B along the trip without tolls with slightly less ideal routes. Is that the wrong impression?

In general, tolls in the US are on Interstates, bypasses, tunnels, and bridges. If you take the old roads, they're free, but you will be winding through the country and it potentially will take much longer. These routes are sometimes very scenic, and that would be worth it, but a lot of the time they run parallel to each other, just the old road has lower speed limits and stop signs. For example, I can go to Oklahoma City in 5 hours on I-44 or in 6.5 hours on Route 66, and they're right next to each other most of the way. I-44 has an $8 toll. Completely worth it to save an hour and a half.

You can absolutely avoid tolls. But it will add to your drive time. I have traveled between KD and SFA a couple of times and SFA to BGW. I used back roads (301) with no regrets.

Driving west for SFGA and Mt. Olympus from CP sounds ambitious. I'd add Six Flags Over Georgia between Dollywood and Carowinds first. Much less driving and SFOG is a great park.

I can’t wait to see how you get from the American Dream Mall to Lake Compounce without paying a toll.

According to Google Maps, here's one way of going about it: https://goo.gl/maps/z1zvjnWJP5cTzXLc8

Though I see that if I wanted to do it the other way around (which is more specifically what you mentioned) Google has no solution.

Yeah, but if you're doing it that way then you're still not getting from the American Dream mall to New York City for free and you're leaving from JFK. Honestly, just pay the tolls. They'll save you time and (in some cases where the alternative is totally ridiculous like getting from Knoebels to Lake Compounce) money. Your rental car company will probably have a toll pass option. Call ahead and ask what it is. If it's totally egregious then get your own EZ Pass. Many tolls are cashless so you will need an electronic option of some kind in many cases.

PS: If you get the toll option from the rental car company and they charge a daily fee, use the cash lane on the Newburgh Beacon Bridge when you're going from Knoebels to Lake Compounce. It's the only toll that you'll encounter that day and it's $1.50. Alternately you could hit "Avoid tolls", go like 4 hours out of the way and save yourself that $1.50

Edited by coasterbill

Yeah, but if you're doing it that way then you're still not getting from the American Dream mall to New York City for free and you're leaving from JFK. Honestly, just pay the tolls. They'll save you time and (in some cases where the alternative is totally ridiculous like getting from Knoebels to Lake Compounce) money. Your rental car company will probably have a toll pass option. Call ahead and ask what it is. If it's totally egregious then get your own EZ Pass. Many tolls are cashless so you will need an electronic option of some kind in many cases.

PS: If you get the toll option from the rental car company and they charge a daily fee, use the cash lane on the Newburgh Beacon Bridge when you're going from Knoebels to Lake Compounce. It's the only toll that you'll encounter that day and it's $1.50. Alternately you could hit "Avoid tolls", go like 4 hours out of the way and save yourself that $1.50

Thanks for the tips, but the American Dream is probably the last park I'll visit in the US in this trip anyway.

• 2 months later...

Update: I just got the US VISA today. Yay!

But the prices for the flights I wanted and the car rentals have risen by quite a bit so as to make this trip not viable for me in 2020. I'll save up to do it in 2021 instead.