TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's RCT/NL Track Pack Contest Coming Soon!

I've found when playing the game that most peeps will not ride if it's over 10. Remember, this needs to work with a "vanilla" copy of the game. No trainers or cheats installed.

--Robb

Are in-game cheats ok? I mean, I have mine set up with a "Cheat family" where each member is named according to the cheat (John Wardley, etc...) and they automatically enter my park upon loading.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I want to keep the rules to a minimum and allow few building restrictions so you can all flex your creative muscle. However, all the RCT2/3 tracks should be "ride-able" by the peeps. I know that in RCT2 if you have a track that goes over a 10 excitement rating, peeps won't ride. This is a restriction I would want to set. What rating do you think we should not go over? Is 8 a good benchmark?

"However, all RCT2/3 tracks should be 'ride-able' by the peeps" says enough. I have nothing to say about building restrictions though...

2. Scenery in RCT2/3. Because the end product will be a .zip file with quite a few tracks in it, should we restrict from using scenery or does it not take up that much space? Also, what happens if someone uses 'custom scenery' does it automatically get imported and installed? These tracks will have to run on a "vanilla" version of RCT2/3 with the exception of the official expansions installed.

Custom scenary automatically gets imported/installed. But it depends on how much custom scenary is USED. And... saying "tracks will have to run on a 'vanilla' version" pretty much means the same thing as, "no hacks, trainers, etc."

- Enter up to 3 tracks for each game.

- Any coaster type you want, IMO, the more variety the better.

- No size or space restrictions other than RCT tracks need to be able to work in a 'vanilla or right out of the box' version of RCT2/3.

- There will be set 'ratings' that your coaster has to be kept under.

- Voting will be done "Survivor Style" for the People's Choice and there will also be a TPR pick done by Elissa and I.

- All tracks will need to be original tracks, not a re-creation of a real ride. You can have your track "inspired by" a real ride, but you cannot submit a clone of "Raptor" for example, in the contest.

- The goal of this contest, like the video contest, will be to get everyone on the board a chance to get their tracks published. It's all about fun, not about competition.

Please give us your input!

Excellent. Although, I am a bit confused about "There will be set 'ratings' ... etc." Other then that, Sehr Gut!

As for RCT, the more I'm looking into this, the more difficult it is going to be to satisfy everyone.

I'm thinking we could have three downloadable track packs:

1. RCT2

2. RCT3

3. RCT3 w/ expansion packs

No cheats enabled or custom scenery.

The ONLY restriction for ratings is that most peeps would be able to ride. (meaning you couldn't submit some wacked-out crazy design that no one will ride.)

It does seem that most RCT3 players that would have one expansion pack would probably also have the other one too. What do you all think?

As for NL, there really doesn't seem to be many NL players on here so I'm wonderig if we go with just RCT track packs? NL players speak up!

There are just so many RCT options now that you have to draw the line in the sand somewhere, otherwise you limit the amount of people who will be able to download and see your track.

--Robb "This is the same reason we use MPEG for all our videos" Alvey

I believe we should be able to use Custom Scenery, but only in a bench that you set up and everyone decides on is the best. You could include some woodie supports, steel supports, and various roofs and walls in the park and still have everyone be able to use it and download it with not too much trouble with the size.

About the limits for RCT, I really hate the limits. If it looks like it could be built (i.e. good G's, realistically possible layout) then it should be accepted. Just because you build a large B&M looper with 10 inversions doesn't mean the intensity would be 10 and it usually is. I think that it shouldn't deal with the ratings at all. But that's just me.

As for No Limits (if it's still going on) I don't think there's a way to stamp down a G limitation guideline because everyone has differing opinions on G's. Also you can't go by yellow and red because those G Forces can be changed. For example, some people might get mad that a coaster went into the yellow area of G's, maybe 4 G's. But then someone might build a Schwarzkopf coaster that normally does pull 4 g's on like a straight segment of track. It's all relative.

I'd be willing to enter the RCT2 competition if I can get some inspiration. But if you're looking for a judge for No Limits (it sounds like this started out as just a pack but turned into a type of competition) I'd be up for it.

I think you should certainly have NL in the contest... it's a simulator with a lot of subtlety and realism, and the very best rides often are the result of insane amounts of work. It'd be nice to see some of the top NL designers get wider recognition, if you were to manage to lure them into posting here.

There are certainly a lot of the NL people from coastersims (and I think the other exchange sites too) browsing this site, but I think they rarely look in this part of the forum. After all, it has mainly been RCT oriented, and there is already a site for them to geek out about the shape of patriot's loop and the snap in a B&M invert's corkscrew.

^Yeah right!

How will you be able to tell if someone used Auto-Flanger, AHG, Elementary, Purg, or Track smoother? The fact is, unless they put a segment every 3-6 feet, you won't be able to tell.

I say allow anything, just make your coasters as good as possible.

^ We have been able to tell in our comps. It is quite easy to suspect who has done it....you just have to search and search their track, to bust them.

Besides...3-6 feet, or 30 ft, if the segments are only a .2 ft difference in length, you know something is messed up there.

It really isn't fair to the individuals who actually put in hard work, if someone who is smart at math and can punch numbers wins, even though they are a crappy NL builder. This is a NO LIMITS Competition...not a AHG, Elementary, Purg, or Track smoother competition.

^ We have been able to tell in our comps. It is quite easy to suspect who has done it....you just have to search and search their track, to bust them.

Besides...3-6 feet, or 30 ft, if the segments are only a .2 ft difference in length, you know something is messed up there.

It really isn't fair to the individuals who actually put in hard work, if someone who is smart at math and can punch numbers wins, even though they are a crappy NL builder. This is a NO LIMITS Competition...not a AHG, Elementary, Purg, or Track smoother competition.

Uhhh, it doesn't take any math knowledge at all besides basic angles (that's about 4th grade level math) and typing in some values that you want (1st grade math).

I have no use for track smoother, but I use Purg to rotate, Elementary to create, and AHG to, well, AHG the track.

Yep, it's an NL competition, and I intend to make an NL track using any tools I feel like using. I find that using tools allows the builder to think more about 3ds, layout, terrain, and supports. You don't have to worry as much as with handbuilt track.

I spent 2.5 years playing NL, and even after 2.5 years, my coasters, though good, were nowhere near as good as the coasters of others who had been playing for a short amount of time and used tools.

Originally I took the same stance as you and said, "Tools are for losers who suck at NL". But then I decided to learn how to use the tools, and it took me forever (June-October) to understand them and how they worked (I still don't fully get Purg).

I do have two questions. 1. How long do you spend on trackwork when you build a track? and 2. Why do you think tools are easy, as you can't just put in some values and expect a good coaster? It takes so much time to get it where you want it to be.

So far on my Route 66 project (first project to use tools), I have spent over 30 hours on what I have done so far (trackwork and supports), and you think that because I used tools my coaster is inferior to an imperfect handbuilt one?

Ever notice that the best designers over at CS all use tools, and that professionals use the same type of math as tools (and also that I want to be a professional designer)? Yeah, thought so.

Try using tools, you'll see it is the same amount if not more "hard work" to make a good track.

• 2 weeks later...