TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Upcoming One-Way Florida to Pennsylvania Road Trip

So, I attend school in the Tampa/Sarasota, FL area and I'll be moving up to Erie, PA to finish my last year of school. I plan on starting my drive up around May 15/16. I have two routes planned and need help picking the best one, of any alternate suggestions. A little back ground, I'm from the Midwest and Cedar Point is my hometown park. I've been there at least once a year from the age of six to 22. I haven't been to the park though for the last five years, since moving to Florida. So as far as parks for this route goes, Cedar Point isn't the most essential.

Route one (8 parks, 25 hour drive)

Busch Gardens Tampa --> Sea World Orlando --> Islands of Adventure --> Carowinds --> Dollywood --> Kings Island --> Cedar Point --> Waldameer

Route two (9 parks, 25 hour drive)

Busch Gardens Tampa --> Sea World Orlando --> Islands of Adventure --> Carowinds --> Busch Gardens Williamsburg --> Kings Dominion --> Hershey Park --> Kennywood --> Waldameer

I'm leaning towards route two since there are more parks to choose from, and route one has Cedar Point, a park I've been to many times and can go to any time I want once I'm back in the midwest. But route one also has Kings Island, which I really want to experience. And out of all these parks, I have only been to Cedar Point.

Lastly, if you had to pick the 5 best parks from the best route (or alternate route), which would they be? I might be limited on funds and time and won't be able to do all 8/9 parks.

Your input and advise is much appreciated!!

Edited by cedarpointguru

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Busch Gardens Tampa --> Sea World Orlando --> Islands of Adventure --> Carowinds --> Busch Gardens Tampa --> Kings Dominion --> Hershey Park --> Kennywood --> Waldameer

Aren't you back tracking a little if you are going from Carowinds --> Bush Gardens Tampa??

Either way I would go with Route two. You're going to get to experience a lot of new parks, and a lot of great coasters like i305, and Skyrush!! You can always visit Kings Island at a later time!! If you can visit Cedar Point "any time I want once I'm back in the midwest" then making the trip down to Kings Island shouldn't be a problem in the future!!

So my vote goes to Route Two!

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

Busch Gardens Tampa --> Sea World Orlando --> Islands of Adventure --> Carowinds --> Busch Gardens Tampa --> Kings Dominion --> Hershey Park --> Kennywood --> Waldameer

Aren't you back tracking a little if you are going from Carowinds --> Bush Gardens Tampa??

Haha sorry, fixed it. I meant Williamsburg

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I completely forgot about Knoebels, and not to mention Lightning Rod looks amazing, but so does i305. It'll be a tough choice, but I guess it does come down to KI/DW v KD/BGW.

If it were me I would take the "KD/BGW" option. Maybe it is because I have never been to either of these parks, and I am dying to go (Just booked my flight tonight to be able to visit both these parks.) But having been to almost all of the other parks on your list, KD and BGW would be the two that would appeal to me the most.

Then again, not everyone is the same! I can't wait to see which route you choose, and of course, I will be looking forward to a photo TR!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I completely forgot about Knoebels, and not to mention Lightning Rod looks amazing, but so does i305. It'll be a tough choice, but I guess it does come down to KI/DW v KD/BGW.

You are correct sir! This is your bottom line decision......

Personally I'd go DW/KI over BGW/KD. Good luck with your decision!

Another suggestion...why not just fit in the Florida Parks/Kennywood on some off-day when you're regularly at school?

You could do a Six Flags Over Georgia>Dollywood>Carowinds>KD>Busch Williamsburg>Six Flags America>Hershey>Knoebels in the same time span. Or swap Great Adventure for Hershey and triple-dip on a Six Flags pass.

^I Completely agree with this. Dropping the Florida parks would open your itinerary up so much and you could easily do SFOG and even add in a Lake Winnie pit stop if the timing is right.

To support this ^ sentiment, are the stops at Florida parks your way of saying bon voyage to the area, cedarpointguru? If you've lived in Florida for years and only have a finite range of dates with which to park hop, why not first consider cuts to the familiar Florida parks? Haven't BGT and IOA been well-worn to you by now? If you have to sacrifice between new hotness coasters or good parks that would be new for you, why not just open up the itinerary by foregoing some of the Florida stuff (perhaps Mako aside)?

I wish that was possible guys. I go to dental school, and it's pretty much been 7am to 5pm mon through fri for three years. Only time we get off is a week for Thanksgiving and two weeks for Christmas, which I've always used to go back home and spend the time with family. And since our school days are so long, we use weekends to study for school/boards/licensure exams/etc. or volunteer. Sadly, even though I've lived in Florida for the last few years, I haven't LIVED Florida. I've only been to Universal Studios for Halloween Horror Nights and Epcot during Food & Wine and both were amazing experiences. The school is giving us two weeks only in May to move from our Bradenton, FL campus to our Erie, PA campus for our fourth year residency (and time to get situated/take care of housing/etc.) That's the only opportunity I'll have to visit these Florida parks... at least until I'm a dentist and can afford to make a trip down there again in the future

Route one (8 parks, 25 hour drive)

Busch Gardens Tampa --> Sea World Orlando --> Islands of Adventure --> Carowinds --> Dollywood --> Kings Island --> Cedar Point --> Waldameer

Busch Gardens Tampa --> Sea World Orlando --> Islands of Adventure --> Carowinds --> Busch Gardens Williamsburg --> Kings Dominion --> Hershey Park --> Kennywood --> Waldameer

Here's a third route for you. Busch Gardens Tampa, SeaWorld Orlando, Universal Orlando, Six Flags Over Georgia, Dollywood, Kings Dominion, Hersheypark, Knoebels, Waldameer.

You could possibly cut Kings Dominion because you effectively backtrack forty miles south to get there, as well as SeaWorld because it's sort of redundant, but that's up to you. After the Orlando parks hop on the northbound Turnpike until it ends and then follow Interstate 75 northbound to the Atlanta GA area. Then I-85, I-26 and I-40 to Newport TN, which is an easy drive to and from Dollywood. Then I-81, I-64, I-295 and I-95 to Richmond VA. Then I-95, I-695, I-83 and US-322 to Hershey PA; I-83, I-81, PA-61 and PA-487 to Elysburg and Knoebels; and finally PA-487, PA-54, I-80 and I-79 to Erie.

Here's a third route for you. Busch Gardens Tampa, SeaWorld Orlando, Universal Orlando, Six Flags Over Georgia, Dollywood, Kings Dominion, Hersheypark, Knoebels, Waldameer.

Glad to see someone else is fighting the good fight.

This is the best plan. Go with this plan.