TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Oculus Rift headset melds with a real roller coaster

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/29/oculus-rift-melds-with-a-real-life-roller-coaster-ride

Ok so this is extremely cool. Totally different environments are projected thru the headset but synced up to the ride itself when you ride it. You could be fighting in outer space or flying around some sweet Pegasus drawn chariot flying thru these incredible environments but synced to the forces and inversions on the ride.

I would love someday to see a park do something like this for the general public.

Edited by Wes

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of VR stuff, either, for the same reason Wes mentioned. But researchers (as quoted in the article) claim that motion sickness isn't an issue (unlike when sitting at a desk while wearing one of those head sets).

I'm not entirely convinced yet, but I'm curious to see where this experiment leads. It could enhance some coasters.

I'm not a fan of VR stuff, either, for the same reason Wes mentioned. But researchers (as quoted in the article) claim that motion sickness isn't an issue (unlike when sitting at a desk while wearing one of those head sets).

I'm not entirely convinced yet, but I'm curious to see where this experiment leads. It could enhance some coasters.

I'll believe it when I see it. As is I've got a hard enough time riding coasters due to motion sickness issues, and the thought of this makes me queasy. If things get even the slightest bit out of sync (anybody who has ever done a motion based ride where the video and motion aren't perfectly in sync will know this to be true) I think you're looking at a vomit event of cataclysmic proportions!

^I was going to say the same. It looks like everyone is desperately trying to make something "new" and we end up with things like this. I don't see the point at all. I'm not a big fan of 4d coasters (I think those already are a little bit forced) but I'm fine while this just doesn't make much sense to me. What about investing in making the rides themselves better (or cheaper so that they are more accessible)?

Just a thought.